Happy Bike Day!

DirtClodimus
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Happy Bike Day!

#1 Unread post by DirtClodimus »

I've been lurking for a while. Took the MSF class and got all of my gear... now I have a bike to go with it!

http://homepage.mac.com/lemkes/PhotoAlbum24.html

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Very cool, be careful, those things have torque! But that's not always a bad thing either! Congrats and have fun on your new bike!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

NWTrtle
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: dream

#3 Unread post by NWTrtle »

Nice looking bike! I've been thinking about one of those for my 2nd, and letting my wife have my current bike.
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)
2008 Hyosung GV250 (now my wife's bike)
1992 Honda Nighthawk CB250 (Sold)
--Tim

DirtClodimus
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by DirtClodimus »

Thanks!

I get to take my first ride on it tonight. I'll update on how it went :)

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#5 Unread post by Thumper »

Nice :D I have a 2007 SV650...tons of fun, just take it real easy on the throttle, it can be kind of twitchy.

I found the stock mirrors to be pretty much useless, but some extenders did wonders. And handlebar risers made the ride a lot more comfortable... but I'm old, I needed to be just another inch or so upright. :lol:

DirtClodimus
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by DirtClodimus »

So, I had my first ride this afternoon. It was interesting indeed. One thing that really took me by surprise is that the clutch did not have much of a friction zone. It has a very short throw and grabs very quickly. I'm not sure if this is how the SV's are or if I need to get it adjusted. Any ideas? And yes... the throttle can be very twitchy.

In the MSF class, we got to do a little weaving with the cones, and I thought that I was getting a feel for countersteering... I was wrong. I most definitely got a feel for it during my ride today. Maybe it's because the bike is a little heavier and I was going a little faster than in the class, but I got a lot better idea of what pressing on each grip is like.

I can't wait to get back out there again to get some more practice. I quickly realized how a motorcycle can get away from someone if they panic. The amount of torque that my bike has compared to the class bikes is incredible. So far so good, though, and I'm very happy! :-D
Current Bike: 2000 Suzuki SV650

Feel free to message me anytime!

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#7 Unread post by Thumper »

It's not so much that the friction zone on the SV is narrow...you can play in a pretty wide range on it when you're doing very low speeds. But when you're really moving, it doesn't take much to shift; you can pull, shift, release pretty freaking quick.

It'll feel more natural pretty soon. Lots of low speed practice will really help you get to know the friction zone on the SV.

erbgottie
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 honda RVT1000R

#8 Unread post by erbgottie »

sweeeet, keep riding and keep getting better and keep posting about your adventures. :lol:
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Honda RC51

DirtClodimus
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by DirtClodimus »

Well, I've been on a couple more rides and was on the bike a lot today. I've gotten pretty used to the clutch and throttle. And I figured out why the bike was handling so much differently than the class bikes. The tire pressure was too low! I checked the pressure in both tires and they were both off by about 20 psi. Well, I put them where they are supposed to be, and I am having a much easier time controlling the bike.

It's probably good that this happened. Now, I will make sure to check the tire pressure every time before I go out for a ride. I picked up a tank bag so I could store some stuff in there. That has been nice. More storage is definitely a plus.

All in all, I am gaining a lot more confidence on the bike compared to that first time out. I just want to ride it all of the time now :)
Current Bike: 2000 Suzuki SV650

Feel free to message me anytime!

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by roscowgo »

Congrats :)

And yes, keep your eye on those tires.