Lesson learned brings about new question

onin24eagle
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by onin24eagle »

Like they say in MSF class. Slow, look, press, and roll. In that order.
Suzuki
Boulevard C50T

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#12 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

If you took the training, you'd most likely know, brake before turning (not during), slow in, and apply some power as you see your exit.

Braking whilst in the corner will actually INCREASE your turning radius and make it harder to turn.

If you misjudge it, and go in a bit hot, you should be using the rear brake to strim off speed.

The MSF-BRC isn't the "be all" and "end all" of tests, you seem to think it is fresco. It sets the foundation skills for you to then go and learn by yourself on the roads. Its pretty much what you're trying to do now, but with accurate information and guidance.

I hope this helps, and that you decide to take a more sensible (in my opinion anyway) approach to learning.

Plus for the record, what seems like the right way to do something, usually isn't with motorcycles, and habits are a "dog" to unlearn
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

erbgottie
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 honda RVT1000R

#13 Unread post by erbgottie »

well, having a carb, it's very easy for me to drop 5 or 10mph off by gradually letting off the throttle coming to the corner and then gradually back on the throttle as you get past the middle and coming out of the corner smoothly.
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Honda RC51

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

erbgottie wrote:well, having a carb,...
As opposed to fuel injection? That doesn't make sense to me as the fuel source doesn't determine your engine braking speed.

Anyway- for any sort of turn, it's best to add a bit of power as you go through it. The goal is to set a good entry speed that allows you to maintain or increase speed throughout the turn. That will obviously vary depending on the situation.

When you are in a turn and you're going too hot the best option is to push more and lean the bike over further to complete the turn. As long as you aren't scraping hard parts, you have lean left. Granted you're going to want to stop after the turn, take a deep breath and wipe off the seat. Braking in a turn, however, can be disastrous.

So slow down well before the turn, look as far through the turn as you can looking for your exit point, press to lean and roll on the throttle as soon as you see the exit point.

And sign up for an instructional class before you hurt yourself in one of these falls. Motorcycling is very counterintuitive and learning by yourself is proven to be the worst way to learn.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

fresco
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by fresco »

Nibblet99 wrote: The MSF-BRC isn't the "be all" and "end all" of tests, you seem to think it is fresco. It sets the foundation skills for you to then go and learn by yourself on the roads. Its pretty much what you're trying to do now, but with accurate information and guidance.

excellent response nibblet, really appreciated this one, as I did yours storysunfolding

so basically, slow, look, brake more if needed, turn+ apply some throttle if needed - no braking in the turn

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#16 Unread post by jonnythan »

fresco wrote:
Nibblet99 wrote: The MSF-BRC isn't the "be all" and "end all" of tests, you seem to think it is fresco. It sets the foundation skills for you to then go and learn by yourself on the roads. Its pretty much what you're trying to do now, but with accurate information and guidance.

excellent response nibblet, really appreciated this one, as I did yours storysunfolding

so basically, slow, look, brake more if needed, turn+ apply some throttle if needed - no braking in the turn
No braking in the turn including engine braking. The roll refers to rolling on the throttle to maintain speed or accelerate through the turn. This allows you to maximize traction.

:|
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#17 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

fresco wrote:excellent response nibblet, really appreciated this one, as I did yours storysunfolding
You're most welcome
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#18 Unread post by Dichotomous »

jonnythan wrote:
fresco wrote:

No braking in the turn including engine braking. The roll refers to rolling on the throttle to maintain speed or accelerate through the turn. This allows you to maximize traction.

:|
yes that works wonders when you know whats going to happen all the way through the turn. but cars ahead of you brake, or in general things happen that make it so this is often impossible. I brake through almost every curve, trail braking I belive they call it, and yeah its a balancing act. I'm not talking grip the lever like a rattlesnake braking, but letting off the throttle or light brakes. to say never do this, in the real world, is laughable
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#19 Unread post by Brackstone »

I just noticed that this is the same guy from another thread

viewtopic.php?t=25040

I told you to take MSF Courses before too :P
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

hi-side
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by hi-side »

Might I also recommend the Keith Code Superbike School. As a former instructor, we taught to get all the braking done while straight up and down, then off the brakes and turn the bike.

Now taken a step further, as a racer, I've also braked all the way to the apex and further if I screwed the approach up or pasing someone while leaned over. That takes a very careful touch in a very controlled environment. The street isn't the place for it.