"Just go easy on the throttle"

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#11 Unread post by Brackstone »

flynrider wrote: I actually saw this happen in person last year. A noob at an intersection on a VTX1800. He stalled it when the light turned green, then got flustered when the cars behind him started honking their horns. He restarted in a rush. He had a lot of throttle open when he dumped the clutch and the bike shot out from under him and slid through the intersection.

This would be unlikely to happen to you because you've chosen a bike with a reasonable amount of power for your first ride.
Maybe noobs should glue themselves to the seats of their motorcycles? :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#12 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Brackstone wrote:
Yes... but can you imagine the adds?

"used Crotch rocket, has only been crashed once. Comes with crotch."
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

Hotscootermama
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by Hotscootermama »

:laugh5:
Life is a Joy!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#14 Unread post by ceemes »

Apollofrost wrote:
Brackstone wrote:
Yes... but can you imagine the adds?

"used Crotch rocket, has only been crashed once. Comes with crotch."
Jeez, give a guy a warning next time will ya? Now I gotta go and clean coffee off of my monitor. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Always ask why.

hordak
Regular
Regular

Re: "Just go easy on the throttle"

#15 Unread post by hordak »

Lion_Lady wrote:Usually added to the comment, "Get whatever bike you want."

Unfortunately, the above statement works fine as far as intent goes. But be sure to add...

"And don't forget to ..."
-make sure you always have proper wrist position and don't add too much throttle inadvertantly at an inopportune time.

-make sure you don't ever let the clutch out too fast for the gear/throttle/situation you are in.

-make sure you don't ever chop the throttle reflexively in a situation where that's exactly the wrong thing to do.

-make sure you don't do anything with that throttle that isn't the right thing to do at the time.

... Beginners make mistakes. Some make more than others. Some get more opportunities to make mistakes than others. Starting out on a forgiving motorcycle is just generally the safest path to good technique and a long riding career.

P
Although I believe buying a bike is a personal thing and advice from strangers is just that. I have found a pretty funny video (I have a sadistic sense of humor) that does illustrate you point rather well. Also the point from the post "Lesson learned. "Do i know how to ride a bike"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8_BYLDX ... re=related

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#16 Unread post by Sev »

Stunt bike... probably has a rear sprocket the same size as the wheel. Did you really expect it to not wheelie? Haha.

Of course pinning it and dumping the clutch likely had something to do with the problem. I love that vid.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

CmHall9
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#17 Unread post by CmHall9 »

There seems to be an attitude in the group that getting any bike with less that 100 hp would be a wimpy thing to do. Oddly enough, these are all guys in their 40s and 50s. You'd think they'd be old enough to know better.
I’m in my late 30s, so I’m border lining on stupid and maturity. I’ll still fishtail my pickup in the rain but as for my first bike I’m going to take it slow and easy with a Honda Rebel 250cc.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#18 Unread post by ofblong »

Orion9 wrote:
There seems to be an attitude in the group that getting any bike with less that 100 hp would be a wimpy thing to do. Oddly enough, these are all guys in their 40s and 50s. You'd think they'd be old enough to know better.
I’m in my late 30s, so I’m border lining on stupid and maturity. I’ll still fishtail my pickup in the rain but as for my first bike I’m going to take it slow and easy with a Honda Rebel 250cc.
lol you think thats bad I still do 55 (not my normal 65mph) if there is a foot of snow on the road. any more than a foot and I do admit I slow down to about 35mph :D. well unless there is somone in front of me then it ends up going down to 15-25mph. darn slow people. They need to get off the road before THEY cause an accident :laughing: . course im 28 about to turn 29. Now thats in my minivan NOT my motorcycle. unfortunately the cycle is sitting in the garage covered up with the battery out of it waiting till spring for a new battery and spark plug wires.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

CmHall9
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Snow?

#19 Unread post by CmHall9 »

I live just outside of Charleston, South Carolina. So my question to you is … what is snow?

Just kidding. :wink:

We’ve been having a warm winter with most days in the 50s to high 60s. :heat:
I must have counted at least 20 people on bikes today.
I’m so jealous. I don’t have a bike yet.

Tonight will be our first true cold spell of the year.

Mustang
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#20 Unread post by Mustang »

flynrider wrote:He had a lot of throttle open when he dumped the clutch and the bike shot out from under him and slid through the intersection.
Wow.

Unbelievable.
[b]Other Daily Reads[/b]
[url=http://bikerdiaries.blogspot.com/]Biker Diaries[/url]
[url=http://www.clutchandchrome.com]Clutch and Chrome[/url]
[url=http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/index.php]The motorcycle Forum[/url]