okay, questions from a student about motorcycles...

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: okay, questions from a student about motorcycles...

#11 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Everyone of your posts is friggin creepy dude. The in depth way you describe smelling another mans sweat makes me think of those people who would buy used undies off eBay. Enough resurrecting zombie threads to get all weird and sniffy dude. This ones over 10 years old.

You’re a creeper.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

#12 Unread post by centerstand65 »

NorthernPete wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:09 am Everyone of your posts is friggin creepy dude. The in depth way you describe smelling another mans sweat makes me think of those people who would buy used undies off eBay. Enough resurrecting zombie threads to get all weird and sniffy dude. This ones over 10 years old.

You’re a creeper.

Given that you are observing this thread, I imagine that you may have many serious questions about getting into well worn in headgear, but you also have some apprehension. There are plenty of people who can help you. I am more than happy to.

The great thing about well used motorcycle headgear is that it is nowhere near as expensive as buying new, though it should be twice the price. Let me explain why.

Brand new helmets are uncomfortable for the first several thousand miles, or about 2,000 hours. The padding is not yet shaped. There are a bunch of toxic chemicals that must slowly evaporate and rinse from a new lid's padding. Only by sweating in a new lid can it be made ready for use. You can do this, yourself, or you can let another guy sweat the first 2,000 hours into the lid.
hotlid2.jpg
hotlid2.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 26261 times
(Isn't this lid TOTALLY HOT???)

Helmet stink is a normal component of a well worn helmet. Some people have specific preferences about helmet stink compatibility. You sound like someone who prefers helmets previously worn by guys whose sweat has less oil in it. For me, smell doesn't matter, except for cigarette smoke, deodorizers, and other artificial scents. The natural smell of sweat is a normal part of a motorcycle helmet, and another guy's sweat is more comfortable to get in when it's oily.

I prefer helmets sold by guys who roll out of bed and into their lids, right away, and stay in them all day. A smelly helmet is a comfortable helmet. Guys who rarely wash their hair produce the best used headgear. The guy who sold me his Icon Alliance (pictured in this post) used the lid not only as protection while riding, but also to draw away excess sweat and oil from his dirty hair and face, and he didn't sell it until the padding could no longer take up his perspiration. That is when a helmet is at its absolute best -- when it no longer absorbs sweat. When you get in a lid like that, the previous owner's stink gets on you so fast.

When I first received the lid (which I bought on eBay), I could smell it as soon as I opened the box. It had a strong, sweet, oily smell from years of sweat. When I lifted the lid from the box, my hands were coated in the previous owner's oily sebum. The padding was shiny from the thick deposits of sweat, and dirty from years of use without having been washed.

I immediately got in the lid, and buckled the sweaty chin strap into place for my first ride. The helmet stink in the lid was very intense at first. As I began to sweat and warm up the interior padding, the previous owner's sweat activated. I could feel it getting in my hair and on my face, and especially along my forehead. It felt sticky and slimy at the same time. I closed the visor and took deep breaths to acclimate to his stink. It was very easy, though. It took almost no time before I was completely used to wearing at least 50,000 miles of another guy's sweat.

I've been wearing that lid, ever since. I can still smell the previous owner's stink whenever I get in it. It's hot, and it feels better than anything you could ever get new. Because of the sweaty stink, it actually feels warm, and I sweat in it much more than one that's new of the exact same design. That makes it more comfortable to wear, believe it or not.

From my experience, the dirtier a lid is on the inside, the easier it is to get in and stay in for very long rides.

I'm proud to wear another guy's used, dirty, sweaty, smelly gear. Once you get into it, you will be, too.

DenverD
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: yamaha 2000

#13 Unread post by DenverD »

Thanks for the useful information

Ralph P Perry
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: yamaha 2001

#14 Unread post by Ralph P Perry »

Interesting discussion. Motorcycles are my passion and I would not think about what clothes to wear for a race, the main thing is that it is comfortable. Soon I will be able to experience the pleasure of racing on my own motorcycle. My dad promised to give me a nice motorcycle if my college grades got better. And I began to put more effort into learning. I even write my own written essays that I just hate. Of course, writing is not complete without proofreading by professionals.

Mitchell
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: yamaha 1998

#15 Unread post by Mitchell »

Thanks for sharing this story. Your father has prepared a very nice present for you. I also love speed and dream of my own collection of cars. It seems to me that I know everything about them and share my knowledge in my automotive blog. I am inspired by the examples of essays. Thanks to these examples, I write awesome texts.

Wease1
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: Honda2000

#16 Unread post by Wease1 »

hmmm