okay, questions from a student about motorcycles...

Pantathian
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

okay, questions from a student about motorcycles...

#1 Unread post by Pantathian »

alright, i'm thinking about getting a bike and i've got some questions(obviously)

1. which is better for a beginning rider: 2008 Ninja 250 or a different year Ninja 250, as far as cost effectiveness is concerned?

2. if i ride my motorcycle to school are there any good alternatives to wearing boots and full riding leathers, etc., because i would like to not need to change into my school clothes?

3. what is a good loadout of safety gear for a noob on a budget?

thanks for reading and answering my dumb questions ;)

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: okay, questions from a student about motorcycles...

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

Pantathian wrote:alright, i'm thinking about getting a bike and i've got some questions(obviously)

1. which is better for a beginning rider: 2008 Ninja 250 or a different year Ninja 250, as far as cost effectiveness is concerned?

2. if i ride my motorcycle to school are there any good alternatives to wearing boots and full riding leathers, etc., because i would like to not need to change into my school clothes?

1.) Used and mint condition is the way to go. If it has never been crashed and you KEEP IT THAT WAY, low mileage and has been stored inside,and priced reasonably , it will cost you very little in maintenance and depreciation over the time that you own the bike.
2.) Wear the gear over top of your school clothes and carrya duffle bag to put it in when you get there.
3.) Loadout??? newenough.com or used through ebay

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by NewGuy »

If cost is a factor you will save a ton by buying used.

Also, in general sportbikes cost a lot more to insure than standards and cruisers. So you may want to consider some bikes other than a crotch rocket if you want to save some cash.

No matter where you get your gear just remember do NOT get a used helmet. Always get new when it comes to getting helmets.

Another good site to check is motogearoutlet.com

ninja79
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by ninja79 »

Pantathian wrote:alright, i'm thinking about getting a bike and i've got some questions(obviously)

A used bike is obviously going to be cheaper. You will also pay less in taxes -- that's important since this is the kind of bike you will only keep for a year. Also, you can buy a used ninja 500 or GS500 for the price of new ninja 250.
Pantathian wrote: 2. if i ride my motorcycle to school are there any good alternatives to wearing boots and full riding leathers, etc., because i would like to not need to change into my school clothes?
Get overpants. They are designed to go over your regular pants/shorts and have full-length zippers so that you can put them on/off without taking off your boots.

I wear sandals at the office. They are much more comfortable than any boots. If you have a locker at school this should not be a problem.

Pantathian wrote: 3. what is a good loadout of safety gear for a noob on a budget?

full-face helmet - $150 - $200 (do NOT buy used)
gauntlet gloves - $50 - $90 (check closeouts)
boots - $40 - $80 (army surplus store!)

Hereis an amazingly cheap and good quality leather jacket. You can get textile jacket for less, but why bother?

An here are nice mesh overpants.

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#5 Unread post by intotherain »

I'd either buy a '08 ninja 250 or a used ninja 500 or suzuki gs500 (about the same price)

You don't have to wear full leathers to school...
=I bought a cheap Shift textile jacket on sale for $60 and after sliding 100 feet (50 MPH) on asphalt I had no rash whatsoever. Leather is nice and all but to a certain level textile will do just as good

to school I just wear:
shoes
jeans
sweatshirt
helmet
gloves

some people don't think that's enough and it's probably not but for 2 miles of 4 90 degree turns I'll take the chances.

www.newenough.com

However, for anything that's not a short commute I'm in my:

Sidi b-2 boots
Icon kevlar jeans
Either a textile or leather jacket
my (more expensive) helmet
gloves

For a ride in the twisties I'm either in:

Leather suit + all other gear

or

leather pants + textile (or leather) jacket + all other gear

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#6 Unread post by JC Viper »

I get gear at www.ridegear.com. I also support my local motorcycle shop since I can sometimes get a great deal on some good gear.

The riding jacket is just a throw over, no special attention needed. I put my riding pants underneath my regular pants so I don't need to change out of them and can just hop on my bike whenever I need to. Boots are usually the best way to go to protect the ankles and foot.

A used Ninja will be much easier on the insurance and can be a great bargain if you find one in good condition with low mileage. If you want new see if you can find a hold over from the previous year that the dealer is trying to get rid of and haggle.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Jadien
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Jadien »

First, make sure you take a look at the stickys in this forum. They are very helpful in explaining gear questions. Also, do some searches on "gear" and similar stuff for some good thoughts on where to buy, what to buy, and who to buy.

Now for the fun stuff:

1. I'd go for a '05 or newer GS500F. They're pretty easy on newbies, cheap to maintain, and cheap to insure. If you have a little money to spend, go for the '08 Ninja 250; it's freakin' beautiful. (I'm a full-time student, too. And the GS500F worked great for me.)

2. You got a few options here: One is to get textiles/mesh to keep weight down, and don't skimp on helmet or boots. Another idea would be to wear sturdy clothes and get some under-armor (not the underwear...) such as Bohn to go underneath your clothes; problem is that in the event of an impromptu pit stop (i.e. crash), you'd be just as hurt by roadrash, but hopefully no broken bones. And finally you can get the gear you need for your climate and just stash it somewhere out of the way.

3. I think your asking for the minimum needed and where to get it cheap. If so, I also like newenough for all of your clothing needs; they have helpful little write ups to guide you along. But get a helmet, gloves and boots from a local dealer. These items in my experience need to fit the best for safety, comfort, and actual usage. It's better to try on different brands and then make a final decision AFTER you go home. Why after? Because, many salesman are just that salesman, and they may push you into something you're not comfortable buying. Also, it gives you a chance to research your pics on the good ol' interweb.

Hope this helps, and check in the Motorcycle Safety, Security, and Rider Tips Forum: Primary Transportation Thread for other ideas.

PS- The only dumb question is the question you were too proud to ask. That's the one that gets you killed. Ask often and honestly.
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

2004 SV650S

Pantathian
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Pantathian »

alright, thanks guys. that was really helpful. :D

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

1. They're both very similar in cost. I think the new 08 one is $500 more in the MSRP. I have the old style one 07. While I'm really happy about the low cost of it, the new 08 ones look MUCH nicer. The used/new cost difference of the 250s aren't that different IMO so either is good. If you buy used, just make sure to have someone take a look at it that knows mechanical things.

2. There are some textile jackets that look like big winter jackets. Wear your school clothes underneathe and it should be alright.

3. New full faced helmet ~$100 - $150, gloves ~$50 - $70, jacket ~$100 - $200, boots ~$40 - $60. As you save money, you could get more expensive versions.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

centerstand65
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: 2001 Suzuki Katana

Re:

#10 Unread post by centerstand65 »

NewGuy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:43 am If cost is a factor you will save a ton by buying used.

Also, in general sportbikes cost a lot more to insure than standards and cruisers. So you may want to consider some bikes other than a crotch rocket if you want to save some cash.

No matter where you get your gear just remember do NOT get a used helmet. Always get new when it comes to getting helmets.

Another good site to stick is motogearoutlet.com
When it comes to helmets, gloves, leathers, jackets, and boots, the only way to go is used. All of this gear needs to be broken in, and that takes months to years. A helmet takes at least 10,000 miles before it's comfortable. Gloves take at least 6 months before they are pliable. A good pair of gloves will last 4 years. Buy a pair that's 2 years old, and use them for the remaining 2 years. You'll be glad you did. Full body leathers are comfortable after 1 or 2 years of heavy use (in summer heat). You don't want to buy leathers until they have a weathered look. Boots should be well worn so that they flex.

Finally, the most comfortable helmets are the ones that you can smell from a distance. They should have, like I said, at least 10,000 miles of wear in them by another guy before you get in one. Once you get in another guy's well-worn lid, you will know the huge difference. It will go on like you've been in it for years because another guy was in it for years before you. The straps will buckle into place with ease. The padding will be a little bit sticky from another guy's sweat which makes it super comfortable. Then, there's the smell. It's so natural putting on another guy's helmet stink and strapping it into place. As you sweat, his smell will get stronger inside the lid, especially in hot weather. After a few days of being in it, though, it will seem totally normal to get in that lid and sweat in it for long rides, with the other guy's sweat enveloping all of your senses -- the ability to see sweat stains before you get in the lid, the feel of it, the smell of it, and even the taste of it. It's an awesome experience wearing a well worn lid on a long hot ride.