how would I get familiar with the bike before purchasing?

JamesDean21
Rookie
Rookie

how would I get familiar with the bike before purchasing?

#1 Unread post by JamesDean21 »

How should I get familiar with the bike and its parts without knowing anything about being a mechanic or not knowing a bike mechanic....
I would like to know some things about the rebel before I purchase a used one...please help...

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

First would be to sit on one to see if it fits you. Then maybe the local driving school that offers motorcycle lessons may have a rebel for you to ride. There are also shop manuals and the book Motorcycle Maintenance by Zimmerman that can be of some use.

When I bought my first bike, a Suzuki GZ250, I didn't know anything about it and had never ridden it before. It took a good 2 miles to get used to the controls and its personality. The mechanical stuff came to me over the period I owned the bike.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

Re: how would I get familiar with the bike before purchasing

#3 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

JamesDean21 wrote:How should I get familiar with the bike and its parts without knowing anything about being a mechanic or not knowing a bike mechanic....
I would like to know some things about the rebel before I purchase a used one...please help...
You want this.

(That's a short 400th)

Hotscootermama
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Hotscootermama »

WOW! :shock: great article thanks man I could use that!!!! :D Very Cool!
Life is a Joy!

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#5 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

*Is there anything similar to a carfax.com for motorcycles?

*if its new there will be all kinds of rider reviews and consumer report stuff to read about, if its used it would be nice but not probable if sold thru a dealer to contact the past owner.

*If its a private sale you could do things like a compression test, test ride and while doing so feel for acceleration, shifting and braking.

*the WWW has all kinds of information available to add to the cause

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Take the MSF basic riders course. Most locations use Rebels and Nighthawks (both 250 cc) some use 125s.

If buying used, the first thing you should do is take the bike to a reputable shop and have it gone over. A complete safety inspection. A mechanic will know what to look for and what the things he's seeing mean.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul