disassembling forks

rcooper
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

disassembling forks

#1 Unread post by rcooper »

Hi all,
new to the forums, I have a exile bullfighter that has 41mm showa forks and i need to have the lowers repowder coated. does anyone now how to disassemble them thanks

TorontoBoy
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by TorontoBoy »

I think a lot of bikes use Showa forks. Exact instructions on how to disassemble your forks usually comes from a Clymer or Hayes manual, which is make and model specific.

Check out general instructions on the internet for changing fork seals, which entails total disassembly of your front forks. You just stop half way through the process and add powdercoating.

Check with Dan for general instructions. Getting the circlips out was the hardest part for me as you'll need circlip pliers. The bottom hex nut may also be difficult.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#3 Unread post by slimcolo »

Quite simple with this front end. Just remove the damper valve lock nut then the lower leg will come off. Any BT manual from 49-99 details this procedure.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Please be very careful when you reassemble them. A friend of mine thought he was a great do it youselfer and ended up killing himself when the front end came apart while he was riding it.

Sorry, it's still fresh in my mind... :(
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!