Ohio riding season?

hordak
Regular
Regular

Ohio riding season?

#1 Unread post by hordak »

Wrong section I know but it seems to be the only section that is active.
When does the Ohio riding season start? Moving there soon and want to know how long my bike will have to sit in the garage while i make motorcycle noises to ease the pain? :cry:

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Depends on you. I know people that will get the bike out if the roads are clear whatever the temperature is. I also know people that won't go riding unless the temperature is over 50°F or 60°F.

For me mid December to mid March.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#3 Unread post by gsJack »

That depends on the rider and to some extent on the bike they ride and most of all to how badly you want to ride. :lol: I rode yesterday and expect to get out again today and tomorrow.

I ride year round here in NE Ohio but there are not a lot of others that do. I don't go out if the streets are slippery with ice or snow but I do ride in a lot of salt water. I buy inexpensive bikes that I put high milage on and they are not worth enough to worry about when I'm done with them.

Most of the bikers I hang out with in the summer disappear when the first salt flies until the streets are washed clean by the spring rains. If I spent $15-20k on a chrome plated show bike I'd do the same.
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

Patrick
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1998 V-Twin 1500 & 2008 Suski C50T

#4 Unread post by Patrick »

I love to ride and being down in Texas I can ride most of the months. I am one of those over 50 degree type of riders myself though when we have a lot of days below that, I will wear the chaps and such and take off for a bit of a ride. We plan to go today and tomorrow as temps will be over 50 today and over 60 tomorrow, but as to not make you feel bad, the forecast for after tomorrow is fairly crudy.
Keep the wheels on the road.

If you want check my blogg at this site.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=25466&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

hordak
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by hordak »

gsJack wrote:That depends on the rider and to some extent on the bike they ride and most of all to how badly you want to ride. :lol: I rode yesterday and expect to get out again today and tomorrow.

I ride year round here in NE Ohio but there are not a lot of others that do. I don't go out if the streets are slippery with ice or snow but I do ride in a lot of salt water. I buy inexpensive bikes that I put high milage on and they are not worth enough to worry about when I'm done with them.

Most of the bikers I hang out with in the summer disappear when the first salt flies until the streets are washed clean by the spring rains. If I spent $15-20k on a chrome plated show bike I'd do the same.
You are my hero. I haven't been able to ride much here because it has been down in the 40s and raining.Looks like i'll have to get some warmer gear or have a short riding season.When does the snow go away?

TorontoBoy
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by TorontoBoy »

At minimum you should beware of snow, ice, sand and black ice. Any of these can be bad for bike and rider. It's also frikken cold riding at 0*C/32*F because the wind chill fctor.

How hard core are you?

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

Ohio has nice weather for about ... 20 minutes.

I'd say "riding season" lasts about 5 minutes before and after that.
[b]Are you a beginner rider?
Have a lot of questions about motorcycling?
Not sure what bike to start with?
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#8 Unread post by gsJack »

A little update here, it's been a bit milder than average winter here in NE Ohio so far. Rode last 4 days of 07 and then a blizzard came in for New Years day and our power was out for the day. Didn't get my Jan 1 ride in to get the year started off right. :(

Not to worry, in came some warm air from the SW and we had a couple near record days in the upper 60Fs and I rode again for another 7 days straight. Other days were in the 30s but that's all good too. Nothing big but went 20-50 miles or so per day last week. :)

Spring isn't that far away now that we're at mid winter and many good riding days will will be back soon for the spring thru fall riding for everyone season. We have a moderating affect from the Great Lakes where I am and an ample supply of water year round and no forest fires or hurricanes to worry about.
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#9 Unread post by Thumper »

I lived in the Dayton area for a couple of years; there were probably only 30 days out of the year where it could have been stupid to ride; the rest of winter was kinda cold, but it didn't snow a whole lot. If you don't mind rain and cold, you can pretty much ride year round there.

Granted, this is based on the couple of years I was there, and the weather might have been unusually mild...

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#10 Unread post by scan »

Thumper wrote:I lived in the Dayton area for a couple of years; there were probably only 30 days out of the year where it could have been stupid to ride; the rest of winter was kinda cold, but it didn't snow a whole lot. If you don't mind rain and cold, you can pretty much ride year round there.

Granted, this is based on the couple of years I was there, and the weather might have been unusually mild...
I live in the Dayton area right now, and I agree. There is a small window of time that you cannot ride due to safety concerns, but otherwise the only limitation is your willingness to gear up for cold temps. I ride if it goes over 40, and that means most of the year I can get out at least a couple days in a month, and for greater than 6 months of the year I could ride daily without concern for getting cold. Ohio is a decent place to own a bike, in my opinion.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.