windshield

Marcop
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

windshield

#1 Unread post by Marcop »

Hi, I hope to purchase a new Honda Shadow 750 within the next 6 weeks. I had planned to get a windshield fitted. Are there any problems I would encounter, lets say from crosswinds. Is it safer without a shield? Thanks

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have always had a windshield. I don't believe that it causes me any problems. It does help reduce fatigue by blocking the wind from pounding on you all day.

It also helps to keep a lot of bugs off you.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Based on riding my Volusia with and without the windshield both on the highway and in the city, the windshield does catch a little more of the draft from other vehicles, but not enough to affect handling to any extent. It does, like Blues said, help protect from buffeting a lot, much less fatigue and strain anywhere above 50-60 MPH.
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#4 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

I have never had a windshield in 35 + years of riding until this past summer. Its nice and I don't seem to notice any impact of any consequence of passing 18 wheeler rigs and gusts of winds. I have only a couple thousand miles with the windshield and so far so good, no noticable reasons to not like it.

Justice75
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Justice75 »

Last year I debated on getting a windshield and got some great advice from this site so I purchased one. One of the best purchases I have made for my bike. I have experienced an occassional crosswind but nothing that has impacted my handling of the bike. I regret not getting a windshield years before. Much more comfortable ride for me.

Justice75

Marcop
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Marcop »

Thanks guys, I will put it on the list.

Mustang
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Mustang »

Sorry to be a little late to the dance, but all my friends told me once I put a windshield on it would never come off. Partly true, I prefer to have it off for local riding, but couldn't even imagine doing any sort of distance on the highways without it.

As mentioned in some other posts, you can feel gusts a little more, but certainly not noticable. Well worth saving on the bugs (ugh) and the wind fatigue. Without the wind on the body, you tend to have more consitsent temperature control as well.
[b]Other Daily Reads[/b]
[url=http://bikerdiaries.blogspot.com/]Biker Diaries[/url]
[url=http://www.clutchandchrome.com]Clutch and Chrome[/url]
[url=http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/index.php]The motorcycle Forum[/url]

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#8 Unread post by dean owens »

the jury is still out on this issue for me. i have a gl650 and for the last year (since i've had it) i have only had the fairing with no windshield on it. i had some wind protection but still got a breeze. i recently got a windshield and it's nice if it's really cold but other than that i don't know that i dig it so much. i guess it'll take some getting used to.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

superskip
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by superskip »

I realize this thread is couple weeks old, but my experience with windshield for anyone else interested :

I ride a Suzi gs 500 - small light standard bike. Never been too badly bothered by crosswinds, but with the windshield seems like the bike cuts through the air more cleanly, noticeably less throttle at 65 mph than without the 'shield.

Warm weather = windshield off. Cold weather = windshield on.

70 mph in 40 degree F weather is tolerable (actually fun) up to about 40 minutes.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by roscowgo »

I've never had a shield. That'll beat you to death in fairly short order if you're doing anything on a highway.

I don't have a shield for money reasons though....Not because I don't like how they look or am at all concerned about stability issues with em.