Trouble starting

Message
Author
MrMcBa$tard
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Missouri

Trouble starting

#1 Unread post by MrMcBa$tard » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Noob question here:
I just bought my first bike, and I watched the guy start it, so I know it will. But I am having trouble getting it started myself, so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Please tell me if I am missing anything / doing anything wrong. The following are the steps I go though to start it:
1. Fuel switch to on position
2. Key in ignition, turned to on
3. Kill switch disengage (or engage, whichever it is that allows the motor to run)
4. Clutch in, neutral light comes on
5. Pull choke open (I've tried half-way, three-quarters, and all-the-way open)
6. Press starter button
7. Pull throttle slightly

It sounds like it's trying to turn over, but never does. I tried it several times in a row, but was afraid that I'd flood it, so I gave it a rest for a while. After trying to start it about ten times in a two hour period, it simply started to click like the battery was dead (though the headlight was still on).

I cleaned the spark plugs to make sure it is getting a spark. Is there anything else I should check?

I know it's going to be a little hard to start because it's pretty cold here in Kansas City, but it shouldn't be this hard, should it? Or should I just keep fiddling with it until I get it right? Any advice?
2003 Alpha Sport (Hyosung) GV250

User avatar
shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 am
Real Name: Frilly "TuX" Bobkins
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000
Location: The bad lands "Melbourne" :)

Re: Trouble starting

#2 Unread post by shane-o » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 pm

MrMcBa$tard wrote:Noob question here:
I just bought my first bike, and I watched the guy start it, so I know it will. But I am having trouble getting it started myself, so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Please tell me if I am missing anything / doing anything wrong. The following are the steps I go though to start it:
1. Fuel switch to on position
2. Key in ignition, turned to on
3. Kill switch disengage (or engage, whichever it is that allows the motor to run)
4. Clutch in, neutral light comes on
5. Pull choke open (I've tried half-way, three-quarters, and all-the-way open)
6. Press starter button
7. Pull throttle slightly

It sounds like it's trying to turn over, but never does. I tried it several times in a row, but was afraid that I'd flood it, so I gave it a rest for a while. After trying to start it about ten times in a two hour period, it simply started to click like the battery was dead (though the headlight was still on).

I cleaned the spark plugs to make sure it is getting a spark. Is there anything else I should check?

I know it's going to be a little hard to start because it's pretty cold here in Kansas City, but it shouldn't be this hard, should it? Or should I just keep fiddling with it until I get it right? Any advice?
hmmm.....nup that sounds pretty much what one would need to do to start a bike, not much help I know

Only suggestions that comes to mind, would be to call the guy you bought it off, and ask him is there any thing he does special to get it running.

Maybe when you saw him start it, it was from a warm start as that is what some peeps do when they wanna sell a dodgy bike... they get it running up to optimal temp just prior the buyer comming, but im probably just being overly paranoid on this occasion.


Are you sure the kill switch is off?
Got fuel in the tank?
Fuel line is on or at least in reserve possy?
Some bikes need to be in neutral to start
Some need the clutch in to start, some need both.

I dont need to roll on the throttle to start mine, so maybe you have flooded it?


Failing that, you will need to start trouble shooting spark and or fuel.


Hope someone else can give you some better advise


oh and welcome :)
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Posts: 5285
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 pm
Real Name: Ryan
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Contact:

#3 Unread post by Wrider » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm

One thing is that if it's in gear and the kickstand is down it won't start... Don't know if the Hyosungs have em, but a lot of manufacturers do put in automatic kill switches so that if the kickstand goes down you can't keep on riding...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MrMcBa$tard
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Missouri

#4 Unread post by MrMcBa$tard » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 pm

I have not tried to start it with the fuel switch in Reserve. (What is the Reserve setting for, exactly?) The fuel guage reads three-quarters full and I can hear gas sloshing around in the tank.

The kill switch is set to the circle, as opposed to the circle with the X through it. This is the correct setting, right? (And for my personal edification, is this disengaging or engaging the kill switch?)

I have tried starting it in Neutral, and in Neutral with the clutch in, but I haven't tried to start it in gear with the clutch in. Should I try this?

I did not know that having the kickstand down could prevent the engine from starting. I guess that makes a lot of sense, though, because why would you want to be moving with the kickstand down. I have been leaving the kickstand down when starting, so I will definitely try this next time, thanks!
2003 Alpha Sport (Hyosung) GV250

User avatar
shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 am
Real Name: Frilly "TuX" Bobkins
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000
Location: The bad lands "Melbourne" :)

#5 Unread post by shane-o » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Wrider wrote:One thing is that if it's in gear and the kickstand is down it won't start... Don't know if the Hyosungs have em, but a lot of manufacturers do put in automatic kill switches so that if the kickstand goes down you can't keep on riding...
Wrider
True but he says he has it in neutral so it should start with the stand down in neutral surely ? but then again it is Korean :)
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

User avatar
shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 am
Real Name: Frilly "TuX" Bobkins
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000
Location: The bad lands "Melbourne" :)

#6 Unread post by shane-o » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 pm

MrMcBa$tard wrote:I have not tried to start it with the fuel switch in Reserve. (What is the Reserve setting for, exactly?) The fuel guage reads three-quarters full and I can hear gas sloshing around in the tank.

The kill switch is set to the circle, as opposed to the circle with the X through it. This is the correct setting, right? (And for my personal edification, is this disengaging or engaging the kill switch?)

I have tried starting it in Neutral, and in Neutral with the clutch in, but I haven't tried to start it in gear with the clutch in. Should I try this?

I did not know that having the kickstand down could prevent the engine from starting. I guess that makes a lot of sense, though, because why would you want to be moving with the kickstand down. I have been leaving the kickstand down when starting, so I will definitely try this next time, thanks!


Im not saying to start it on reserve Im just making sure you have it on a setting that allows fuel to flow from the tank to the carbs/EFI which ever...


Concerning the kill switch a lot of bikes are setup with the "crossed circle" written on a larger red button and the "un-crossed circle" has a smaller button near it, the smaller button ie. uncrossed one needs to be depressed in order for your engine to start.

Also, Most people will have tried to start their bikes in vain at sometime or another with their kill switch activated, I have and if I try a few times before I realise the kill is on it can take me a few goes with the kill in the right position to fire it up and usually it will backfire on me when I do.

Again Id just give the guy you bought it off a buzz and ask him whats what, especially if you just bought the thing.
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

User avatar
NWTrtle
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:28 pm
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: dream
Location: Olympia, WA

#7 Unread post by NWTrtle » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:11 pm

You must have the kickstand up on the Hyosung GV250 to start it. The kill switch is fussy.

The rest of the steps you mention should make it start right up. I usually don't give it any gas if the choke is on and mine starts on the first try even when really cold.

I had a problem a while ago with the kickstand kill switch. Mine switch is bad and the bike would think the kickstand was down even when up. I ended up bypassing the switch and now the bike thinks it is always up. This is a known problem with this bike. If you want instructions and/or photos on how to bypass the switch, let me know. But, I would not bypass it unless it is really the problem.
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)
2008 Hyosung GV250 (now my wife's bike)
1992 Honda Nighthawk CB250 (Sold)
--Tim

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:59 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Trenton, NJ

#8 Unread post by koji52 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:28 pm

To get my bike going after it hasn't run in a couple weeks I just twist the throttle a few times, pull the choke out and it starts up fine. I don't give it any more gas until it's idling normally.

User avatar
Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:28 pm

#9 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Maybe the battery is low? I had a bad battery when I got my bike (it's been replaced now) and while the headlight would still shine, the bike had SO much trouble starting. I checked the voltage and it was leaking everyday. Have you tried charging the battery?
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

User avatar
Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:46 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Back in Reading again
Contact:

#10 Unread post by Nibblet99 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:33 am

MrMcBa$tard wrote:I have not tried to start it with the fuel switch in Reserve. (What is the Reserve setting for, exactly?) The fuel guage reads three-quarters full and I can hear gas sloshing around in the tank.
With the fuel tap set to the normal on position, you can use up to 90% of the fuel in your tank.

You can then ride it till you run out, then switch to reserve. You get access to that last 10% to go find a petrol station with.

If you run all the time on reserve, you'll always get 100% of the tank. when you run out, you better get your walking boots on.

When riding to a petrol station on reserve ALWAYS twist the fuel tap to on or off before filling up (else you'll forget its still on reserve by the time you've tanked up and paid :oops: )
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

MrMcBa$tard
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Missouri

#11 Unread post by MrMcBa$tard » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:06 pm

I've tried it with the kickstand up now with no change in the result.

I think the problem is with my battery. I used a jumpstarter to try and start it, but nothing new; I just drained the jumpstarter.

I think I'm going to get a trickle charger to recharge the battery fully. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll probably need a new battery.

Thanks for the advice and also for the info about the kickstand and the reserve setting. I had no idea about either of those.
2003 Alpha Sport (Hyosung) GV250

User avatar
shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 am
Real Name: Frilly "TuX" Bobkins
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000
Location: The bad lands "Melbourne" :)

#12 Unread post by shane-o » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:07 pm

MrMcBa$tard wrote:I've tried it with the kickstand up now with no change in the result.

I think the problem is with my battery. I used a jumpstarter to try and start it, but nothing new; I just drained the jumpstarter.

I think I'm going to get a trickle charger to recharge the battery fully. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll probably need a new battery.

Thanks for the advice and also for the info about the kickstand and the reserve setting. I had no idea about either of those.

mate if you have enough juice in the bat to turn the engine over then thats enough to start the bike, your problems are sounding to be a little more sinister than the usual stuff :( and probably a bit tricky to diagnose over the net, maybe you need to bite the bullet and seek some human help, dont you guys have people who come around to your house for a fee and trouble shoot your car or bike? we do
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

MrMcBa$tard
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:42 pm
Sex: Male
Location: Missouri

#13 Unread post by MrMcBa$tard » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm

I forgot to mention that I finally got the bike started. I set the battery up on a trickle charger and put a little fuel stabilizer in the tank. The next day it fired right up.

Thanks for all of your advice, everyone!
2003 Alpha Sport (Hyosung) GV250

Post Reply