How long before I feel comfortable?

jmpodgorny
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

How long before I feel comfortable?

#1 Unread post by jmpodgorny »

Ok, so my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting me a bike for over a year. I've been so excited I can't stand it. Then this Valentines Day I got a 2005 HD Sportster. Now I've never even rode a dirt bike much less a motorcycle, so I took the class and did pretty well! So, excited! And I've now been out on my bike 5 times in traffic (no freeway) and have had no incidents. But, damn I still am so nervous I always have to take a minute to stop and breath just to relax! My boyfriend doesn't understand it. Should I still be feeling this nervous or is it normal for new riders? How much practice is normal before feeling at least a lil comfortable. (I should mention when I'm done I feel great, but it starts all over again the next time I gear up)
Jennifer Michelle

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#2 Unread post by flynrider »

You've only been out on the street 5 times? Of course you should be nervous! You experience level is very close to nil. If you weren't nervous, then you should be worried.

I can't say exactly how long it will take you to get comfortable. It's different for different people. Once you have ridden enough so that basics like shifting, stopping and starting become automatic (i.e. you don't really have to concentrate on doing them), then you'll start to feel a lot more comfortable.

If you are a car driver, remember when you used to have to concentrate on how much pressure to put on the gas pedal and brake? How about concentrating on steering to make sure you stayed between the lines? Experienced car drivers don't really think about those details anymore. They just do them automatically. When you reach that point, driving down the road no longer makes you nervous. With the bike, it's the same concept, just a different set of skills.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Nothing wrong with being nervous. It's a great reaction.

Have you by chance considered the MSF Basic Rider Course? It'll teach you the important skills and techniques you need to keep the shiny side up.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

TrueFaith
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by TrueFaith »

Are you sure it's the riding and not the bike itself that's making you nervous? That's a pretty heavy motorcycle for a new (and female) rider. I'm not trying to sound sexist here, there are plenty of female riders that ride big bikes, but even the "smaller" Sportster is a lot of weight to hold up at a traffic light.

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#5 Unread post by Gadjet »

storysunfolding wrote:Have you by chance considered the MSF Basic Rider Course? It'll teach you the important skills and techniques you need to keep the shiny side up.
jmpodgorny wrote:Now I've never even rode a dirt bike much less a motorcycle, so I took the class and did pretty well!
She's taken the course.

It's just new rider jitters. I was the same way for the first couple weeks when I started.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: How long before I feel comfortable?

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jmpodgorny wrote:Ok, so my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting me a bike for over a year. I've been so excited I can't stand it. Then this Valentines Day I got a 2005 HD Sportster. Now I've never even rode a dirt bike much less a motorcycle, so I took the class and did pretty well! So, excited! And I've now been out on my bike 5 times in traffic (no freeway) and have had no incidents. But, damn I still am so nervous I always have to take a minute to stop and breath just to relax! My boyfriend doesn't understand it. Should I still be feeling this nervous or is it normal for new riders? How much practice is normal before feeling at least a lil comfortable. (I should mention when I'm done I feel great, but it starts all over again the next time I gear up)
Jennifer Michelle
First of all.....:welcome3: to TMW. :)

You could expect to feel nervous for a few thousand miles or more.

Depending on how far you ride, that could take months. Rest assured....it will eventually go away. :)

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

How long did it take you to get used to your new job? How long did it take you to break in those shoes? How long did it take to learn to touch type?

It's a little different for everyone. But the more you do it... the easier it gets.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I'd recommend not even taking it out on a major road for a few weeks. Spend those few weeks just riding to the nearest big parking lot and practising U-turns, figure 8s, slow stops, quick stops, the works. I found it easier to separate getting used to actually operating the bike and getting used to riding in traffic.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Dragonhawk
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

Re: How long before I feel comfortable?

#9 Unread post by Dragonhawk »

jmpodgorny wrote:So, excited! And I've now been out on my bike 5 times in traffic (no freeway) and have had no incidents. But, damn I still am so nervous I always have to take a minute to stop and breath just to relax! My boyfriend doesn't understand it. Should I still be feeling this nervous or is it normal for new riders? How much practice is normal before feeling at least a lil comfortable.
1. Glad to hear you're excited. That's wonderful. Maintain that.

2. Your boyfriend should be more understanding. Dump him.

3. Yes, your nervousness is totally normal. I've been riding almost 5 years and it took me months to feel comfortable.

4. There is no amount of practice that is "normal" before you feel more confident. Take your time. It's not a race. It's not a competition. Be patient with yourself.

5. Most important of all - have fun!
[b]Are you a beginner rider?
Have a lot of questions about motorcycling?
Not sure what bike to start with?
[url=http://www.wyndfeather.com/learn/motorcycle.htm]Learn To Ride A Motorcycle - A Step-By-Step Guide[/url][/b]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

Being brave always means knowing fear.

It'll take a while but once you go a few times you should be fine.

Your boyfriend needs to chill the @#$* out cause that's probably making you MORE nervous.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)