Thinking about Harleys

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Skier »

ofblong wrote:
Fast Eddy B wrote:The ABS on the rear brake of my test bike helped a TON for the bike-test.

No lock-up = no fail. Yay!
use your brakes right and you should never have lock up especially on that test. I know thats not ALWAYS feasible to do but either way. The only time I have locked my brakes up was on my mini van and believe it or not it was on dry pavement because , believe it or not, some jackarse decided they wanted to be in my lane on the highway. I was doing 80mph. they didnt look just went over. luckily I had just replaced the brakes and they were brand new :d. Ok I didnt lock the brakes up but the abs was working. First time in 13 years that has happened to me.
Here ya go, a study published by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation about ABS, CBS (combined brake systems) and “conventional” brake systems.
In general, the test results demonstrated an improvement in braking performance with the user of ABS, whether braking on a dry or wet surface event compared with the best stops obtained without using ABS.
I wrote a blurb about this on my blag.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

kvrider
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by kvrider »

I have an 03' Dyna. The bike is a great bike for all levels of riders. Here is why. They have a low center of gravity, powerful motor, smooth ride and handle very well. I also own a Honda Goldwing.... so that should tell you that I open to other makes.

I would rent both modles from a dealer if they have that program near you. I chose the Dyna over the Softail because I felt it fit me better.

Finally for your longer trips you could always purchase an additional touring seat. I run 3 seats... A solo HD exotic, A badlander (very slammed 2up look) and the stock which has much more padding for any long rides that I don't take the Goldwing on.

If you have additional questions on the dyna series, contact me and I will share what I know.
Share the Ride!

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#13 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I personally like the Dyna... I wouldn't buy one, but if I was going to go for a Harley, that would probably be the model.

I think with 5000 miles you should be fine. They are pretty easy to handle, and very comfortable. I wouldn't mind a sportster, but like you, I feel as though I would be too big for it. I've been on one and it wasn't uncomfortable, I just felt a bit big on it.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold