Going Down in Leather or Textile?

pvo22
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Going Down in Leather or Textile?

#1 Unread post by pvo22 »

I've been doing a lot of research in regards to what gear would be better to get. I've come to the conclusion that leather is the best choice and some textiles hold up well while others don't. I've also read a lot of posts on here as to how happy people are with their gear but they haven't actually crashed in it. This really doesn't help me choose gear because I can only speculate how well that gear will hold up in a crash. I would find it beneficial if you could please tell me what you were wearing when you went down and what kind of damage was caused (to you and the gear).

As of now I'm considering going with a leather or hybrid jacket and hybrid pants. If I find out that textiles hold up as well as leather I'll probably go that route as I'm a little concerned that a leather jacket and pants will be rather warm for summer riding. Am I right in thinking this? Any advice or tips in getting the right stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If this question has already been asked in another thread could someone please direct me there as I must have missed it when I was searching.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

You know, it occurs to me that I have never heard of someone going down in an actual motorcycle jacket, whether leather, textile, or mesh, and getting major road rash because the jacket failed to protect them well enough from abrasion.

Armor is a slightly different matter, but you can get quality armor in leather, textile, or mesh.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#3 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Although I've never crashed I can tell you that leather will hold up better than textile, no question. It is just the nature of the material. If you want the best level of abrasion resistance you will have to sacrifice some level of comfort for an added layer of safety. I wear leather in the fall/winter and textile in the summer. It can get over 110 in the shade here during the summer months and with a leather jacket you would be makin' bacon for sure.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#4 Unread post by Thumper »

I locked up my front brake and had a meeting of the pavement with my body; I was wearing a leather jacket and textile pants, and the amount of road rash I had on my elbow and on my knee was pretty much the same--and not much at all. It was more like a little skin rubbed off by fabric.

At a higher speed I'm pretty sure the textile would give out before the leather, but it worked well enough that I'm not worried about wearing a combo textile/mesh jacket for summer riding.

Nick Pimpin
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Nick Pimpin »

My speculation is that leather would be "better" than textile. My basis for this assumption is Scorpion's website (scorpionusa.com) uses this "abradium abrasion scale" to rate their gear in terms of how protective it is. The leather stuff is a 4, the textile stuff is a 3.

I got the Scorpion "Hat Trick" jacket. It's a four season textile jacket with CE armor, and I swear it's the best motorcycle jacket I've ever owned (I also have a textile First Gear that was for the summer, a leather Joe Rocket and a textile Tour Master Flex). Sorry to go off on a tangent.

I've been riding since 2002. Fortunately, I have never dropped my bikes/been in an accident so I personally wouldn't know if any of the jackets I mentioned are protective as they advertise!

My preference is for textile products. They just seem more comfortable to me. I also wear textile overpants.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

The Problem with Leather

#6 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I love leather, I've had many leather jackets not for motorcycling and they are all great.

So, I want leather for motorcycling, but I also want to be florescent green - and be as visible as possible.

The other thing I want is decent back protection, but this seems harder to find in leather jackets than in certain textile jackets.

Well, I can get the Olympia AST jacket in Neon Yellow. The only barrier with this is that it is almost $300, but the alternatives I look at like a Joe Rocket leather jacket plus back protector reach almost that level of cost, but might not work in all seasons.

At newenough.com they had an Alpinestars jacket on closeout. (the ones with a lot of white on them) Alpinestars Jacket - but I'm concerned that it will be too hot during the summer. At the bottom of the page is a back protector you can add to it.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

You're comparing apples and oranges...

How thick is the leather? What type of textile/armor?

I'd take my Joe Rocket jacket and pants, at speed, over poor leather any day...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by IcyHound »

I crashed in full mesh. It did it jobs. I had to replace it all which is the downside. The upside is that I was fine.
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

It really depends on the quality of Leather. My Icon Leather Jacket has way better Leather in it than most of the Leather Jackets I've seen out on the Market.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#10 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

IcyHound wrote:I crashed in full mesh. It did it jobs. I had to replace it all which is the downside. The upside is that I was fine.
What mesh did you have?

I noticed something odd - the women's Olympia gear has 500 to 2000 denier Dupont Cordura - and the men's only has 500 to 1500. I have no idea why this would be.

Mens
Womens

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009