G3rrity
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2005 CBR1000RR

FZ6 and SV650

#1 Unread post by G3rrity »

How are the Yamha FZ6 and Suzuki SV650 as first street bikes? I know they are 600cc+ bikes but they are fairly light weight and boast the standard riding position and substantially less high rpm insane power than the 600+cc sportbikes from what I've been reading. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re: FZ6 and SV650

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

G3rrity wrote:How are the Yamha FZ6 and Suzuki SV650 as first street bikes? I know they are 600cc+ bikes but they are fairly light weight and boast the standard riding position and substantially less high rpm insane power than the 600+cc sportbikes from what I've been reading. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!
It's more than just the power of the bike it's the super sensitive brakes, throttle, and handling.

A 600CC sportbike is too big for anyone to start out on.
Last edited by Brackstone on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#3 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

The SV650 is considered a "grey area" starter bike. It's on the more powerful end of the starter bike spectrum. It likes to hang out with 650R's and the slightly older 620cc Monsters. The FZ6 prefers the company of 599's, both are a class above the others. If you can honestly say you have some common sense, and the MSF course was easy for you, the SV wouldn't be a bad idea for a first bike. The FZ on the other hand would still be a bit too much.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#4 Unread post by Brackstone »

Ninja Geoff wrote:If you can honestly say you have some common sense,"
I think this is a logical fallacy. People who don't have common sense think they do which is why bad stuff happens to them.

If people who don't have common sense actually KNEW they didn't have common sense then YouTube would be really REALLY boring.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#5 Unread post by Thumper »

The SV is doable as a first bike, but just barely. There's a lot to be learned in throttle control and braking on a smaller bike first, and you'd probably be a better rider in the long run if you spent some time on something like a Ninja 250 or 500 before jumping on an SV.

A lot of people do it, though. They buy an SV right out of the BRC and do just fine. Keep in mind you're looking at a bike with a touchy throttle--it definitely takes a little more finesse to start smoothly on it than it does the bikes in the BRC--and the brakes are a whole lot more powerful. It's a lot easy to lock up the wheels on these bikes than it is on a Rebel or baby Ninja.

And make no mistake, the SV and FZ6 are sport bikes, they're just not liter sportbikes.

Have you looked at something like the Suzuki GS500? It might be a better choice than the SV to start on, and you wouldn't be looking to trade up in a year unless something shiny happens to catch your eye (which is, imo, a perfectly good reason for getting a new bike ;) )

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by camthepyro »

I'm going to have to agree with Ninja Geoff on this one. The SV650 is a decent starter bike, albeit still very powerful. If you've taken the MSF course, and especially if you have experience on dirt bikes or something, then it will be fine for you.

I disagree with comments about it having a twitchy throttle. It's not that bad. The power is fairly consistent throughout the RPM range. The brakes are pretty strong, but not as bad as a sportbike. The seating position is standard - not like a sport bike.
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

I'll have to agree with most here... The SV650 is a grey area beginner's bike. But the FZ is a bit too much. It may not have ALL of the high end horsepower but it still has the power to put you on the ground without a problem. I'm trying to get one as my second bike. That's after an 800cc cruiser...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#8 Unread post by flynrider »

G3rrity wrote: I know they are 600cc+ bikes but they are fairly light weight and boast the standard riding position and substantially less high rpm insane power than the 600+cc sportbikes from what I've been reading. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!
Not so for the FZ6. I wouldn't say it has "substantially less" power than it's sportbike cousin, the R6. It's mildly de-tuned for low end torque, but still makes close to 100 hp. The throttle response is very much like a sportbike.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by IcyHound »

I love Mantis (my FZ6) but I am very happy I did not start out on him. I don't think I'd be nearly as comfortable. Little things like being comfortable balancing your bike matter and he is much different to my ninja 500.

A lot of HP, he can be quite jerky with the throttle, very responsive and smooth but things like a short clutch engagement and a high center of balance will throw you off. The brakes are unforgiving as well. I've broken loose my rear wheel twice breaking on slick surfaces and I was trying to be gentle about the entire thing.

I don't think they'd make good first bikes at all. He is a brilliant second bike and I can't see myself replacing him short of major destruction.
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

Brackstone wrote:
G3rrity wrote:How are the Yamha FZ6 and Suzuki SV650 as first street bikes? I know they are 600cc+ bikes but they are fairly light weight and boast the standard riding position and substantially less high rpm insane power than the 600+cc sportbikes from what I've been reading. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!
It's more than just the power of the bike it's the super sensitive brakes, throttle, and handling.

A 600CC bike is too big for anyone to start out on.
I hate when people boil it down to displacement like this.

There are a lot of bikes with displacements up to 800 or 900 cc that are entirely fine starter bikes.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]