Starting in Gear as Opposed to Setting in Neutral

viper15
Rookie
Rookie

Starting in Gear as Opposed to Setting in Neutral

#1 Unread post by viper15 »

In my MSF class, I was taught FINE-CC (Fuel Supply Valve, Ignition, NEUTRAL, Engine Cut-Off, Choke/Clutch). My question lies within the Neutral part. Apparently, I should set the bike to neutral prior to killing the engine instead of setting in first gear. So when I start up my bike, I am in the neutral gear. Why is this? Is there anything wrong with leaving in the first gear while parked? If it is required that I set the bike in neutral during parking, then wouldn't that set incentive for someone to roll off with my bike?

Thank you.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

The problem is if you're a newbie (which you are) and you leave it in gear and try to start it up and forget to pull the clutch in the bike is gonna jump out from underneath you and you'll end up hurting yourself or worse, the bike.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#3 Unread post by flynrider »

Brackstone wrote:The problem is if you're a newbie (which you are) and you leave it in gear and try to start it up and forget to pull the clutch in the bike is gonna jump out from underneath you and you'll end up hurting yourself or worse, the bike.
That wouldn't be possible with most of the bikes I'm familiar with. Since the 80s, most have had a switch on the clutch lever that deactivated the starter if you tried to start in gear without pulling in the clutch.

Whether to leave the bike in neutral or in gear when parking has stirred some debate around here in the past. I let the conditions decide. If I'm parked on a flat level surface, I usually leave it in neutral. That way I'm already in neutral when I start it up. If I'm parked on any kind of an incline, I leave it gear to keep the bike from rolling inadvertently.

Leaving it in gear won't prevent someone from rolling off with a bike. It's a trivial matter just to flip the gear lever up into neutral.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#4 Unread post by ofblong »

flynrider wrote:
Brackstone wrote:The problem is if you're a newbie (which you are) and you leave it in gear and try to start it up and forget to pull the clutch in the bike is gonna jump out from underneath you and you'll end up hurting yourself or worse, the bike.
That wouldn't be possible with most of the bikes I'm familiar with. Since the 80s, most have had a switch on the clutch lever that deactivated the starter if you tried to start in gear without pulling in the clutch.

Whether to leave the bike in neutral or in gear when parking has stirred some debate around here in the past. I let the conditions decide. If I'm parked on a flat level surface, I usually leave it in neutral. That way I'm already in neutral when I start it up. If I'm parked on any kind of an incline, I leave it gear to keep the bike from rolling inadvertently.

Leaving it in gear won't prevent someone from rolling off with a bike. It's a trivial matter just to flip the gear lever up into neutral.
mines a 97 and it still lurches though it stalls at the same time.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#5 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

pick what ever way works for you and activly do it over and over and over. and over. eventually it'll become so second nature, you won't even need to think about it any more.

I always leave the bike parked in 1st. My routine is stick the ket in, unlock the head, get on the bike, turn key to "on", disengage the clutch, pull the front brake lever, shift to neutral, thumb the kill switch to on, and hit the starter button. When I end the ride, it's killswitch, kick stand, lock the bars and dismount. This way I always know how it'll be when I get back on it. And kawasaki was smart enough to not let the bike shift past 1st gear when it's stopped, so i don't have to worry about meddling little kids "procreating" with the gear lever.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

the_sandman_454
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by the_sandman_454 »

I keep my bike in 1st gear when parked. It's not hard to click it up to neutral just prior to starting it, and it's an added bit of piece of mind knowing it can't roll, without having to judge how level the surface is.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Starting in Gear as Opposed to Setting in Neutral

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

viper15 wrote:In my MSF class, I was taught FINE-CC (Fuel Supply Valve, Ignition, NEUTRAL, Engine Cut-Off, Choke/Clutch). My question lies within the Neutral part. Apparently, I should set the bike to neutral prior to killing the engine instead of setting in first gear. So when I start up my bike, I am in the neutral gear. Why is this? Is there anything wrong with leaving in the first gear while parked? If it is required that I set the bike in neutral during parking, then wouldn't that set incentive for someone to roll off with my bike?

Thank you.
Umm. FINE-C applies to Starting UP. It is NOT part of shut down (and we don't KILL anything in the MSF course 8) . Again. Go back and read your student handbook... AND please, don't post any more questions until you have. I'm tired of sorting through posts and having to address incorrect answers from folks who think they know... you've got all the info you need. Just go find that book.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

Is it really a good thing to embarrass new riders by telling them not to bother posting? What happened to "no stupid questions?"
2008 SV650

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#9 Unread post by ofblong »

Tower18CHI wrote:Is it really a good thing to embarrass new riders by telling them not to bother posting? What happened to "no stupid questions?"
who was told not to post???? No one that I can see. Looks like you either replied to the wrong thread or are a little misguided in what was said in this thread.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

RTR
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Starting in Gear as Opposed to Setting in Neutral

#10 Unread post by RTR »

Lion_Lady wrote:Umm. FINE-C applies to Starting UP. It is NOT part of shut down (and we don't KILL anything in the MSF course 8)
Just a question of curiosity...

Does the MSF not teach FINE-C for start up. Then Reverse Fine-C for shut down?
www.redfridays.ca