frusterated & scared to ride

Ninja250grl
Rookie
Rookie

frusterated & scared to ride

#1 Unread post by Ninja250grl »

So I recently took the MSF class, passed, bought a ninja 250 and fell on it last week...and now I seem to be having trouble riding, I'm scared to fall again. I want to ride but I think my fears are getting the best of me and its so frusterating. IDK whats wrong with me. I'm considering taking the MSF class all over again this weekend.

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

I'd suggest just taking a week off without riding at all. Get your emotions in check, and try again in a week or two.

Good luck.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re: frusterated & scared to ride

#3 Unread post by Brackstone »

Ninja250grl wrote:So I recently took the MSF class, passed, bought a ninja 250 and fell on it last week...and now I seem to be having trouble riding, I'm scared to fall again. I want to ride but I think my fears are getting the best of me and its so frusterating. IDK whats wrong with me. I'm considering taking the MSF class all over again this weekend.
If you don't mind me asking why did you fall? We're here to help, maybe we can give you advice on how to avoid it again :)

You just need to get back on the horse and you'll do fine!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

FlysWithEagles
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by FlysWithEagles »

And make sure you or someone else checks the bike out before riding again to make sure you didn't break anything that would endanger you or your bike.
My Bike:
[img]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k326/FurbyBoobs/gsxr-1.jpg[/img]

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#5 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

You got a good bike. I have an '07 Ninja 250 - I just took the MSF at the end of April and I've put 2400 miles on the bike.

What I did do was a lot of practicing for the first week or two after I got the bike. I have a twisty road near by my neighborhood that runs around a park and I took it really slow.

Slow is actually harder than fast, in hindsight, but that might be good for a beginner.

Like Brackstone said, What did you do when you dropped the bike? Maybe we can make suggestions as to how to handle that situation.

I don't know if you'll be able to take the BRC a second time that easily, long waiting list over here in NJ for it. But you do remember the exercises and you could probably re-create a lot of it yourself with some trash left in a parking lot.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Ninja250grl
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Ninja250grl »

I was in my subdivision and I was making a left turn and I either didn't shift down enough or look through the turn, possibly both, all I know is the next second I was looking up at the sky. Got a little road rash. I've ridden after that and I seem to be more scared that anything...I'm scared on corners and turning and even slowing down now. It's like I forgot the basics and keep on thinking I'm gonna fall. Maybe I should take a week or two off. I had my friend's dad look at the bike before I got back on it to make sure there wasn't any damages.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#7 Unread post by Brackstone »

Well when you turned left and fell did the bike end up on top of you or did you go over the bike?

The only time not downshifting would hurt you is if you stalled out in the turn. I'd think you still could've rolled through though.

Wish I could've been there to see what happened to offer you better advice.

Ninja250grl
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Ninja250grl »

I some how ended up behind the bike. I did roll a couple times. I'm not sure what I did wrong, it was probably a combination of things.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

Ninja250grl wrote:I some how ended up behind the bike. I did roll a couple times. I'm not sure what I did wrong, it was probably a combination of things.
If you really can't remember what you did wrong it's pretty possible you just hit some gravel and that made you wipe out.

I wouldn't dwell on it too much, just make sure you go through what you need to do in a turn in your head and the next time you go through the turn you'll be fine :)

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#10 Unread post by Thumper »

You went down...it's natural to be scared after that, even moreso since you're a new rider.

It would help if you were more aware of the particulars of why you went down, because when you know why, you can work on it. Going in a left hand turn, it could have been something in the road that washed the back end of the bike out, you might have touched the brakes while leaned over... hard to tell.

Getting back on the bike is a good idea, but don't force it. Start small; go back to a parking lot and just practice. Do all the MSF things. Work on turning. Work on quick stops. Weave. And while you're doing this keep in mind that while you did go down, you got back up.

Keep at it and you'll get back to where you're cautious, but not fearful when you ride. It does get better; it might take a few weeks, but the panicky feelings and the OHYMGAWDIMGONNADIE feelings will fade, as long as you get back on the bike.

I'm going to be one that advocates you don't take too much time off. The more distance you put between something that scares you, the easier it's going to be to keep avoiding, and the scarier it will be later. Just get back on in manageable chunks--parking lot, low speed/low traffic streets.

It'll get better, it really will.