S40 Fuel Capacity and other questions.

-Curly-
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

S40 Fuel Capacity and other questions.

#1 Unread post by -Curly- »

I went to the Suzuki dealership today and sat on a boulevard S40. That bike seems like the right size for me. My only problem with it is it only has a 2.8 gal gas tank. What kind of gas mileage does this bike get? I live 20 miles from work and don't want to get gas everyday. How much does the primary tank hold and I can't remeber if it had a gas guage or not. I guess I have to take a secound look at it. Does anyone here have one and how do you like it?
2006 Yamaha VStar Custom
Green Knights Motorcycle Club
"Freedom Through Service"

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

Ummm, I rode one of those for 4000km. And while I do the whole liters and km's thing I can tell you this. It holds 10 liters, it does about 200km before it runs out of juice. So you're getting 20km/l. Which means that:

200/10=X/2.8
X= 124miles

You'll be filling up probably after every second trip as the reserve takes up 2 of those liters, and you only run on the top 8 of them normally. But I'll tell you this as well. My new bike a Honda 599 with a 17 liter tank gets the exact same fuel economy, or near to. 20km/l.
Tanks can be swapped out if need be. But you've chosen an awsome starter bike. It was originally called the LS650 Savage. 1 huge piston, at 650cc with a final belt drive, and druiser styling.
It's a physically small bike, I had mine mistaken as a 250. But it does the job, with the lighter frame it pulls just as hard as the other 650's out there. But you're going to be getting A LOT of buzz at highway speeds. The one piston shakes pretty good above about 90km/h.

Costs were cut by including as little as possible on the bike. You get a speedo and an odometer, that's it. You'll have to either writedown, or remember your mileage to determine if you need to fill.

It's very forgiving of mistakes, as I found out when I got my new bike. Some inputs are actually exagerated, so you get used to making them in the proper fashion. Nothing seems difficult though, and it flips around pretty good, even at high speeds.

If you want to know anything else, drop me a line.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by amstaffmom »

I just bought an S40 about a month ago. So far I love it! The only thing I don't like, is I had to change a spark plug and inorder to do that you have to remove the seat and gas tank. Not fun! Its my first bike and I'm very new to riding. Had to learn the clutch and all. I got this because I wanted a cruiser and it was the lightest of the 650s. Everyone told me not to start with a 250. I have found that it is forgiving of newbie mistakes.

I just filled up for the first time and I had 98 miles on the odometer. Now this was filled at the dealer so who knows if they filled it all the way. I also ran totally out and was able to put the reserve on and make it the mile to the gas station with no problem.

Good luck with picking out a bike.

Jean

nelamvr6
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by nelamvr6 »

What happened that you had to replace the plug?

amstaffmom
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by amstaffmom »

I talked to the guy at the shop. He said that it probably blew because I was choking it to long so it was burning rich and then with me only riding around the neighborhood I wasn't getting it hot enough to burn it off. The S40 only needs to be choked for 30 seconds at the most. I would start it, then put my helmet and gloves on. Which is a tad bit too long. Oh well, live and learn.

Jean

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by Dichotomous »

I'm also buying one of these end of the month. Any general tips or things I should know about it? I'm pretty excited cause it'll be good to learn on.
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by Scott58 »

05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50