Shopping for new helmet - Shoei, Joe Rocket, Scorpion

gsus
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Shopping for new helmet - Shoei, Joe Rocket, Scorpion

#1 Unread post by gsus »

My flat black Type-O HJC CL-SP is no longer produced in the design that I had and the insurance company tells me that they will be taking it if they are paying for it. Fine with me.

So i spent a couple of hours at the local dealer test fitting different helmets. I found none of the HJC helmets to fit me well- too many pressure points on my noggin. None of the Arai helmets fit me well and I dont like their visor opening. I didn't try on the Icon or Nolan helmets that they had either... just didn't like them.

I did however narrow my search to three potential helmets:
Shoei X-11 (Size XL) - $587.99 ATD (at the dealer)
Pros
good fit, nice padding, looks like it ventilates well
cons
Price, lack of color choices?

Joe Rocket RKT-101
(size L) - $259.99 ATD
Pros
Best fit, have a design similar to my previous helmet, has a nose guard (to help keep my hot breath from fogging up the visor), in my price range.
cons
Not sure about ventilation, safety or interior material

Scorpion EXO-700
(size XL) - 209.95 ATD
Pros
Cheapest of the three, like a couple of their designs, good fit. it had
cons
Not sure about ventilation, safety or interior material can't recall if it had a nose guard or not.

I wore each for about 20-30 minutes and could not decide which I should buy next. I want to say that the Joe Rocket fit me the best, with the other two following the fit. Shoei's are supposed to be more comfortable from what I overheard one of the salesmen saying (comfort in regards to ventilation and padding). However I never heard nor did I ask how the other two ventilated compared to the Shoei. The Scorpion is the cheapest of the three... lower price is tempting!

Anyone on here own these helmets, what are your thoughts? How do the two 'cheaper' helmets compare to the Shoei as far as comfort? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#2 Unread post by Brackstone »

I have an X-11 and I bought it because no other helmets would fit me right because I have a very oval shaped head. My head is longer from forehead to back than from ear to ear.

I always had a pressure point on my forehead whenever I wore the helmet for longer than 30 minutes.

The Arai Profile is also supposed to be made for people with heads like mine but it felt tighter on me for some reason. Maybe I needed an XXL in the Profile I dunno :)

But I do love my X-11 :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by NewGuy »

I have a Scorpion EXO-700. Great helmet that fits me great and has excellent ventillation.

Here is a review of the EXO-700: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... /scorpion/

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Sev »

I own 2 EXO400's and would probably have some 700's if I didn't consider my helmets to be disposable. I love them my 400's they're much better then the HJC's I used to wear - I have yet to truly crash test one though, so I cannot tell you about that.

They're very comfortable for me and remarkably quiet once you get the optional chin skirt installed.

That being said - go with whatever helmet fits the best! Get the Joe Rocket.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]