TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

Bike Guidelines for New riders/Returning Bikers

#1 Unread post by TechTMW »

Although we have a list of suitable beginner rides on this forum, I'd just like to make a little clarification as to what exactly is best for what kind of beginner.

I'd also like this to be a reference point for our forum members, to point out to newbs who have the most general of questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTBIKERS -
A 600cc or over 4-cyl sportbike is not a good beginner bike. Period.
Likewise, a 600cc or over 4-cyl NAKED bike which uses a derivative of the Sportbike engine is also not a suitable beginner bike. The Ninja 500 is the benchmark sportbike. If it's more powerful than the Ninja 500 - reconsider.

50 Horsepower is the maximum recommended for a beginning biker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRUISERS -
Harley's entry level 883 is a good benchmark for comparison. It makes just over 50hp, and 50 ft-lbs of Torque. If the bike you are considering makes more power than the Harley 883, It's probably not the best idea.

50 ft-lbs of torque is the maximum recommended for a beginning biker.

STANDARDS and DUAL SPORTS -

Benchmark Standard - the BMW f650.

Benchmark Dual-Sport - The Kawasaki KLR650 (KLE 500 for Europe)

Keep it under 50hp and 50 ft-lbs of twist ... perfect.

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#2 Unread post by TechTMW »

FOR RETURNING BIKERS or DIRT RIDERS READY FOR THE STREET

(AKA ... "The Gray Area")

You know the basics of the machine, but you either do not have familiarization with street riding, or you are rusty from being out of it for a little while. No Problem!

This is where you folks need to do a little self searching.
You need to relearn your skills - familiarize yourself with the street.

Optimally, you should consider bikes that are recommended for the noobs. They are forgiving, and will tolerate your mistakes well.

On the other hand, there are a plethora of good 80's and 90's bikes out there that hit somewhere between 50 and 80 horse. Bikes you can purchase and insure affordably. These are probably your next best bet in terms of getting yourself up to par.

Gray area bikes like the sv650, Triumph Bonneville, Ducati Monster 620, Katana 600, Bandit 600, etc ... are good examples of what I'm talking about.

Keep it under 80 Horsepower ... your learning curve will be much better.

Good Luck and Keep the rubber side down!
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

kennyp46
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Shadow Sabre

Re: Bike Guidelines for New riders/Returning Bikers

#3 Unread post by kennyp46 »

Dirt Bike experience 25 years ago. Taking MSP in July. Already bought a cruiser. (Honda Shadow Sabre, 56 BHP 65 flb of torque. OK...i'm pushing the envelope a little. But i have a healthy regard for speed limit. And a healthy respect for any and all activity around me when i'm riding. Failed to mention i already have a M license, so the big payoff for me taking the MSP is to relearn and retool myself for the street.

ranger l
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '84/Yamaha/xs400 Maxim

#4 Unread post by ranger l »

Why such seemingly high maximums? After not really riding for 36 years, I test drove a Yamaha Virago 250 the other day (21.00 HP and 15.5 ft.lbs). Could have scared the c--p out of myself if I hadn't shifted at 3,000.
I was asking myself, "should I even try to start up again on something this powerful?" - the '82 Honda 200 cc. was starting to look good again.
Who can learn on something 3 times as powerful and not kill themselves?
Last edited by ranger l on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JM0111
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 05/Honda/Shadow

#5 Unread post by JM0111 »

i bought a 2005 honda shadow lvx 600, seems to be a great learner bike, 483 pounds, easy to handle, when you buy these learner bikes its a lot easier to pay more attention to what your doing rather than your bike being to big to control....

jamesd23
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 2003/Honda/CBR 600 F4i/

#6 Unread post by jamesd23 »

thanks for those advice but i think you could kindly give me more new riders bike guidelines that i would be able to share to my son who really has the passion to ride his own bike even he is just 15. a sport bike particularly is what he wants and he wanted to be involved in this kind of sports and unfortunately i don't have experienced with it.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#7 Unread post by ceemes »

jamesd23 wrote:thanks for those advice but i think you could kindly give me more new riders bike guidelines that i would be able to share to my son who really has the passion to ride his own bike even he is just 15. a sport bike particularly is what he wants and he wanted to be involved in this kind of sports and unfortunately i don't have experienced with it.
The Ninja 250 would be ideal for him. Has that sexy sport look he is wanting but is light and forgiving enough for most newbie mistakes. Plus it has enough useable power that he will not be wanting for anything. And on the plus side, after a couple of seasons of riding it, he would be able to turn around and sell it to another newbie for almost what it cost in the first place. Kawasaki now has a Ninja 400 which I believe would be a good transition bike from the 250 to the 600RR he is trusting for.
Always ask why.

kevin mowen
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Aero 750

My motorcycle story

#8 Unread post by kevin mowen »

Four years ago, I was working 60 miles south of home. Daily commutes were approximately 125 miles. When, high gas prices hit, a major portion of my budget was going in the tank instead of in my pocket.
To reduce the strain on my budget I decided to buy a motorcycle. I researched what was the best beginner’s motorcycle. I had previous experience on trail bikes and one street bike, but I had not ridden a street bike in over 25 years. I felt inexperienced, and that a small motorcycle and the MSF course was the best way to safely start riding again.
I read numerous reviews of starter motorcycles, and went to dealers to look at the various recommended models. I was never in the market for a “sport” bike. I knew that a high center of gravity, short wheelbase, and the power and speed available was dangerous for a beginner. The Rebel 250 was too small, the Suzuki GZ250 was OK, but also felt small. Then I read reviews for the Virago 250. It didn’t look or feel small like the other 250’s, and its v-twin seemed to perform (and sound) better.
I found a used Virago 250 in a town about 100 miles south. But on the day I was to pick it up, my friend with a truck was not available. So I had my wife drive me down there, and I rode the bike back home. Believe me, it was scary doing this after not riding for almost 25 years. But my co-pilot was right behind me, working as a blocker. The ride home was uneventful.
The Virago 250 was an immaculate 2006, with 4000 miles. Everyone liked it, most thought it was a bigger motorcycle. I didn’t have any trouble riding the first 2-3 weeks, staying local and south of town on country roads. However, I got overconfident and decided to give my wife a ride. On the way home, I hit a water bottle in a driveway and almost dropped it. Of course, this scared the crap out of my wife. Since then, she has never ridden with me.
I passed my local learners test and was going to take my driving portion of the test, when something unusual happened. The DMV decided to “re-paint” the markings on the parking lot where they give the driving test. So, they extended my learners for 3 months until the lot was painted, and they let me “practice” on the course anytime I wanted. They even left the cones out over the weekend so I could practice! This was a big advantage in my “re-learning” of how to ride, since I had decided not to take the MSF course (bad idea). But I had a safe practice area in the country, and the course at the DMV. I passed the driving portion of the course 3 months later (on my Virago 250).
I rode that little Virago as often as possible over the next 2 years, some expressway, some back roads, and almost every day to work. I had close calls and some learning experiences, but overall, it was a great motorcycle to “train” on.
After 2 years on the Virago (and over 25,000 miles), I was looking to move up, but the engine on my wife’s car went out. The only available down payment was my little Virago. The dealer was really interested in it, and several salesmen tested it in the parking lot. They all said if I didn’t trade it for a car, they would buy it outright. I parted with my little Virago and drove away in a nice car for my wife (how many guys would do that?).
My wife agreed that since I used my Virago to get her a car, the next time gas prices went up (and I had a bonus) I could get another motorcycle. That happened early in 2011. So I started the search again for a replacement motorcycle.
My bonus came in, but was less than anticipated. So I had a limited budget, and a short time to buy. My search sent me in the direction of the Shadow VLX. Oddly enough, it is considered a beginner motorcycle to some. And others complain about the 4 speed transmission. An older VLX not only fit my budget, it was a very practical “next step”.
I found a 1997 VLX in average shape (very rusty) with a perfect engine. It seems the owner had taken the Japanese motorcycle repair course and was using this bike to practice on. So the engine was tuned, the carbs were re-jetted, and it had aftermarket pipes. Complaints about the 4 speed seemed to be unfounded (different sprocket?). This bike ran on the expressway with no problems.
I spent several weeks getting most of the rust off, and generally cleaning up the bike. It had been stored in a barn for several years, and was really dirty. Now it looks great, and I get compliments everywhere I go. It is a VLX 600CD, two-tone red and pearl.
However, the purchase of a new (sort of) bike caught the attention of my co-worker. He then began research on purchasing a bike of his own. It seems gas prices were affecting his budget also, but he decided to take a different path than I did. He settled on a 400cc Yamaha Majesty scooter. Like me, he had not ridden a motorcycle in over 25 years, so he should have considered himself a beginner. But he owned a Honda 750 four back in the seventies, so he thought he could handle a scooter. I recommended the local MSF course, and told him how I had an advantage when “re-learning” to ride several years ago. He decided to buy the scooter and learn on his own.
The first week, he dropped his scooter in his garage. It seems he went in too fast, hit the rail that holds the garage door, and tore off the exhaust cover. He dropped it on the left side with only minor scratches.
The second week, he hit a piece of Styrofoam when turning into a parking lot, and dropped the scooter again. This time the damage was more severe (also on the left side). I brought him a can of matching spray paint to cover up the damage.
We planned a “ride” two weeks later, and my co-worker had plotted out a circular course that would be entertaining. But he never showed up, so I went on and visited my parents.
I called him when I got home, and as it turned out, he had another accident. He had decided to take his driving test that morning, and stopped by the DMV. However, during the emergency lane-change and stop maneuver, he over-applied the front brakes and flipped. He broke his collar bone and several ribs.
He was out of work 3 weeks. I don’t know about the future of him riding his scooter, or if he will sell it or not.

BrianKidd
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 83 VT750

#9 Unread post by BrianKidd »

Nice information keep sharing.

MotoHart
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: Rz8

#10 Unread post by MotoHart »

Hi, thanks for sharing. Really helpful for me :).