Tools

Storm Rider
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Tools

#1 Unread post by Storm Rider »

Relatively new to the site, and returning to riding after about 30 years. Great site, definitely learning a ton. Considering the "tool kit" that came with my bike (2007 Shadow Spirit 750) what tools would be considered essentials and what would be the best way to carry them? Thanks, appreciate any help I can get!
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC

Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.
-Biker's Wisdom
a.k.a Life on the Road

Mr. Invisible
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by Mr. Invisible »

A cell phone, or satelite phone. That way you can call a tow truck, and get the bike to the shop, or home and work on it in your garage.

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by Skier »

Mr. Invisible wrote:A cell phone, or satelite phone. That way you can call a tow truck, and get the bike to the shop, or home and work on it in your garage.
It must be nice to never ride your motorcycle out of cell coverage. Or being able to afford a satphone. :)

I figure if it's anything I need more than the factory tool kit for, chances are the bike is totally humped and it's time to employ the help of other motorists to communicate to a tow truck. Or use your cell if you have coverage.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#4 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Figure out the tools needed to fix/change everything on your bike that you know how to do. If its not in the factory tool kit, or is and sucks and you want a better one, buy it.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

Get a trailer for your stand-up tool chest... :roll: :laughing:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I just went all over the bike with my "at home" tool kit to find out the correct sizes of various bolts, then bought the right bits (only needed 5-6) for one of those interchangeable bit screwdrivers.

I'm not really mechanically inclined, but my bike uses weird bolts (Security Torx), so in the odd case when a mechanic or good samaritan doesn't have the right tool, at least the bike's got them.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Skier

#7 Unread post by Skier »

Grey Thumper wrote:I'm not really mechanically inclined, but my bike uses weird bolts (Security Torx), so in the odd case when a mechanic or good samaritan doesn't have the right tool, at least the bike's got them.
Ugh. I'd take every one of those out and replace them with single size hex fasteners or Phillips head fasteners.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

Skier wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:I'm not really mechanically inclined, but my bike uses weird bolts (Security Torx), so in the odd case when a mechanic or good samaritan doesn't have the right tool, at least the bike's got them.
Ugh. I'd take every one of those out and replace them with single size hex fasteners or Phillips head fasteners.
I'm with you on the hex, but you can keep your philips fasteners... Much like an adjustable wrench, should be in the top ten worst inventions...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#9 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Highly recommend cable ties (zip ties), gaffer tape, bungee cords, a bungee net, and pliers (with side cutters)

Its amazing the amount of things you can rig to get you by till you get home

Odd things like gaffer taping helmet visor back on, and cable tying the exhaust in place. The bungees are for things that come off, and can't be put back on at the road side.
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by koji52 »

I just bought myself a set of these off of eBay. By what I've heard, they are a really good set for emergencies and fit in most fork bags. I've heard that they are of decent quality to do your garage work as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0251789257
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R