dented tank

dadul
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

dented tank

#1 Unread post by dadul »

i accidentally leaned on my fuel tank and dented it, the paint is fine no cracks. my garage however is freezing and i fearing the worst for my bike . how do i fix the tank? i need lots of help.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#2 Unread post by ofblong »

buy a new gas tank :laughing:

seriously is this a brand new bike or is it a used one you learned to ride on? For me the dent in mine isnt worth worrying about because this is my learner bike so I dont care. now if I had the Ducati I want thats a different story. You can try a plunger and it "might" take out the dent. I have done that on cars before with minor dents.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

dweiss
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 QLink LG250

#3 Unread post by dweiss »

I have a few co-workers who are long-time riders, and I asked them about this very same thing because my bike had a crease on each side of the tank.

Both of these two guys suggested using dry ice set against the outside on the dent. They say that it forces the steel of the tank to compress, and the dent 'pops' out. I don't know if this is hogwash or not...

I bought something on Ebay called 'Pops-a-dent' that uses a hot wax gun, hot wax, and a plunger-type of thingy that worked for me. You put a stick of the wax in the gun, heat it up, apply wax to dent, apply plunger, let set and cool, use patented 'arch' to pull back on plunger and presto...dent is gently popped out. Wax does not hurt paint or finish.

Not endorsing...just saying it worked for me, so I kept it after I used it in the event I dent my truck or bike in the future. Comes with plenty of wax sticks....

Debbie
Debbie Weiss
www.superstitionranch.com
"I don't own my horses, they own me. It is a relationship that I have no plans of changing".

Proud owner of a 2009 QLink LG250
Past owner of a 1982 Honda CM450A

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

I have a minor dent on the right side of my tank and a major dent on the left. The Left side had taken a hit then the same spot took another hit making it much more noticeable from the top view.

It's been through two winters and so far it hasn't had any problems. One thing to try is a plunger or something made for dents (if autoshops have such a thing). A new tank can cost anywhere from $160 - $600... something I may have to buy eventually. Besides the RAT bike thing seems to be 'in'.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.