First trip around the block

zevonincincy
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

First trip around the block

#1 Unread post by zevonincincy »

WOW,

Lets see, I'm a just turned 50 year old who has decided to learn to ride finally. I've been waiting for years for many reasons and refuse to wait any longer.

I haven't done this exactly according to the reccomendations I've read here, but I do have a couple unique issues that have thrown my timing off for a few things.

First, I bought the bike..a Buell Blast because it was a terrific bargan and the EBay clock was ticking. It was simply too good of a deal on a starter bike to pass up and was really close to home. I knew I was going to ride so I bought it before it got away.

I have been reading everything I can, and following every suggestion I can find on here and other sites. I have also been riding in the parking lot of my business in the evenings for a couple weeks practicing the things I have read here.

I got my temps today, put a tag on the bike, slipped my helmet on for the last predicted warm day in Cincy for a while and hit the road. LOL

Hit the road in my case, was a short tour around the neighborhood and all I can say is WOW. I would have loved to have riden for an hour or so, but darkness has set in early and I'm trying to stay within the law of the land here.

First off, the practice of starting and stopping, figure eights and some low speed weaving made my first ride FUN ! ! ! No problems at all except it was way too short. I can attest to all the advice given here being a true asset to us newbies and thank all of you for the help.

Probably the biggest change from my parking lot practice was the speed. Even 40 MPH on one straight away seemed very fast for the fist time. I picked a perfect time as there were very few others on the road, but got a first hand feel as one car apprached me from behind a bit too fast for my comfort. I really think I need lots more practice when the traffic is slow to feel comfy during busier times.

Unfortunately, the BRC's in the Cincy area have all closed for the season, but I will be one of the first in line come spring.

WOW ! ! !

I think I'm gonna like this.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#2 Unread post by gsJack »

I got my first bike at age 52 back in 1984 and had never heard of the MSF courses back then. Got my son who already rode to ride it home for me, practiced in the parking lot for an hour, and put it away. Next morning, a Sunday, I hit the road alone and never stopped. Stll riding every day I can 24 years and 370k miles later.

Good luck with your Blast.
407,211 miles in 30.1 years for 13,528 miles/year average. Started 7/21/84, updated 8/26/14

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Shorts »

Happy Bike day 8)

Take it easy out there, hopefully BRC and spring will come around quickly.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

There's a lot of downloadable resources on the MSF and other websites; basic tips for familiarizing yourself with a bike, slow speed exercises, exercises for clutch control, and so on. It won't replace a professional instructor and a classroom context, but while you're waiting for spring, every bit of information helps.

Oh, and +1000 to taking it easy out there, even if it's just for short rides around the neighborhood, especially considering the weather in your area.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#5 Unread post by RockBottom »

You're exactly where I was five months ago. Similar age and everything.

I'd urge you to get and devour David Hough's book Proficient Motorcycling. I found it as useful as the BRC.

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorc ... 511&sr=8-1

This is also useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Safety ... =pd_cp_b_3

zevonincincy
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by zevonincincy »

I ordered David Hough's book Proficient Motorcycling the other day after reading about it in another post here, just haven't received it yet.

I'm going to order the second one today. Thanks for pointing it out.

LOL I must have been overly excited yesterday....just look at my spelling.

On several posts here, I have read about learning bad habits when riding before taking the MSF course. I suppose I understand that unlearning something and then learning it properly is more difficult than learning the proper methods in the beginning, but I really don't see myself just waiting for months till the classes open again. As a matter of fact, it ain't gonna happen, yesterday was way too much fun.

So I'm looking to continue to learn how to get better and ride safely the best way I can for now. But I will be taking the course in the spring for sure.

I'm sure I'll have many questions and be looking for the right thing to do alot, so I will be back on the boards here seeking advise and opinion.

Thanks for the input.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#7 Unread post by RockBottom »

I rode for about a month before taking the course. Having read the Hough first (and he helped design the course), I don't think I developed any bad habits other than a tendency to not look down and not do head turns when I should. That was fairly easy to fix.

Ironically, the habits that were the hardest to break were ones I'd developed from decades of bicycling. On a road bike, you never turn the handlebars to a full lock, so it was VERY difficult for me to make myself do that on the motorcycle. After months of practice, I still couldn't do the double U turn in the box exercise.

I also know what you mean about the initial shock from speed. I'd ridden for a month or so before I got on a 55 MPH highway and I remember vividly how frightening it was. Same with a 65 MPH. Now any speed below 60 seems sluggish to me. I still don't enjoy interstate speeds on my sport touring bike because the wind beats me up, but I can do it when necessary without any problems.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#8 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I started riding on a scooter back around Memorial Day then bought my first motorcycle in August. My wife and I took the safety course together. When I first got the motorcycle I rode around side streets for several days before venturing out onto a faster road. Small steps and in no time you will get the hang of it. Cross winds are my biggest problem now and the hardest to get use to.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

zevonincincy
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by zevonincincy »

Second day better than the first and even with some light rain and 20 degrees colder. STILL WOW

I tried to really concentrate on the look where you want to go thing tonight with some un-suprising results for you folks.

Part of my beginning rides have been trips around the inside of my shop. Its about 30K sq ft so when the isles are empty I can make a short circle out of it. I have been going very very slow inside and thought I was looking where I wanted to go. Always a bit unsteady, foot down on occasion. trouble hitting my stop spots. All because I was new of course and things would get better with time on the bike.

I think I found my problem and it wasn't time on the bike.

I really wasn't looking through the turns and where I wanted to go. After being on the street for a while and kind of getting the hang of making myself keep my head and eyes up, I noticed how much easier the bike handled and how much smoother and worriless the turns were. It simply felt better and I wasn't fighting myself.

So when I returned to the shop where I'm storing my bike this winter, I simply had to take a few turns around my indoor track. Guess what, with my head up and looking through the turns I was riding very smoothly around at 10 to 15 MPH after several laps. No unsteadiness at all. Keeping my head up for stops and I was stopping on my marks and ending well balanced.

Maybe you folks really do know what your talking about. LOL

Sorry I didn't really listen earlier.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:happybikeday:

Welcome to Total Motorcycle.