Question for MSF RiderCoaches about IRC and ERC

SCgurl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Question for MSF RiderCoaches about IRC and ERC

#1 Unread post by SCgurl »

My state might be just weird, but we don't get a license waiver for BRC completion. We have to take either the Intermediate course or the Experienced course. The problem is, I haven't been able to find much information on what each course covers to know which of the two to take.

From the descriptions from the TTC website:
Intermediate Rider Course

This course is for the semi-experienced rider operating a motorcycle or scooter with a learner’s permit without previously completing a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Students must pass both a written and riding assessment. This course meets S.C. law for an insurance discount. Contact your insurance carrier for eligibility. The S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles may waive the motorcycle driver’s license road test...

Prerequisites: Must have either an “M” class motorcycle learner’s permit or a motorcycle learner’s permit endorsement. Must be eligible for a full license within 90 days after completing the course.... Each course consists of five hours of classroom instruction and seven hours of practical application (riding).
Experienced Rider

This course is a skills tune-up for the experienced rider with a license waiver available for learner's permit operators. The course may be used as a license waiver for prior course graduates, an annual refresher for licensed operators or for riding with a passenger. Both the rider and the passenger must be registered as students. The course meets S.C. law for an insurance discount. Contact your insurance carrier for eligibility. Students must pass both a written and riding assessment. The S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles may waive the motorcycle driver’s license road test.

Prerequisites: Learner's permit operator must show proof of prior Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course completion. Students must have either an “M” class motorcycle license, motorcycle license endorsement or a motorcycle learner’s permit. A learner's permit operator must be eligible for a full license within 90 days of course completion...

Course consists of two hours of classroom instruction and four-and-one-half hours of practical application (riding). Students must provide a street-legal, insured and fully-registered motorcycle...
While I do see that the intermediate course is intended for those who have not completed the BRC, is the material different from the BRC? And what does the Experienced course cover that is different? I'm leaning towards taking the Experienced course, but I can also see the benefits of repeating the BRC on my own bike.
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Not all states give a license waiver for completing/passing the BRC (yes, most do). So... you take the course, then go take your state's riding test to get your "M".

From reading the descriptions of the IRC and ERC you provided, it doesn't look like either of those come with a waiver for completion either...
WAIT!! Re-read the descriptions. It seems that the ERC gives you the waiver.

My best suggestion is to call somebody at your MVA and ask them.

P
Last edited by Lion_Lady on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

SCgurl
Elite
Elite

Re: Question for MSF RiderCoaches about IRC and ERC

#3 Unread post by SCgurl »

Yep, I took (and passed) the BRC back in July. I highlighted the waiver parts below. As far as I know, the DMV can ask you to take the road test within 2 years if you get a waiver. They use the term "may" because not all DMV branches are on the same page about this; let's just say we have a less-than-uniform motorcycle licensing system.

ETA: A friend who took the EC said basically the last hour is devoted to those who wish to take the road test; it is set up, administered and scored by the MSF instructors, as opposed to DMV employees. I'm not sure about the specifics beyond that. You can also opt to take the class, but not the road test.
SCgurl wrote: From the descriptions from the TTC website:
Intermediate Rider Course

This course is for the semi-experienced rider operating a motorcycle or scooter with a learner’s permit without previously completing a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Students must pass both a written and riding assessment. This course meets S.C. law for an insurance discount. Contact your insurance carrier for eligibility. The S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles may waive the motorcycle driver’s license road test...

Prerequisites: Must have either an “M” class motorcycle learner’s permit or a motorcycle learner’s permit endorsement. Must be eligible for a full license within 90 days after completing the course.... Each course consists of five hours of classroom instruction and seven hours of practical application (riding).
Experienced Rider

This course is a skills tune-up for the experienced rider with a license waiver available for learner's permit operators. The course may be used as a license waiver for prior course graduates, an annual refresher for licensed operators or for riding with a passenger. Both the rider and the passenger must be registered as students. The course meets S.C. law for an insurance discount. Contact your insurance carrier for eligibility. Students must pass both a written and riding assessment. The S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles may waive the motorcycle driver’s license road test.

Prerequisites: Learner's permit operator must show proof of prior Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course completion. Students must have either an “M” class motorcycle license, motorcycle license endorsement or a motorcycle learner’s permit. A learner's permit operator must be eligible for a full license within 90 days of course completion...

Course consists of two hours of classroom instruction and four-and-one-half hours of practical application (riding). Students must provide a street-legal, insured and fully-registered motorcycle...
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

In Canada we have no waivers. Everyone has to take the road test.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

blues2cruise wrote:In Canada we have no waivers. Everyone has to take the road test.
Wish we had that... and a harder road test than the ALTMOST
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

storysunfolding wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:In Canada we have no waivers. Everyone has to take the road test.
Wish we had that... and a harder road test than the ALTMOST
The road test, which is administered by the motor vehicle department, takes about 40-45 minutes. A lot of people don't pass it the first time.

The m/c schools can administer the skills test, but if you are a rider who learned on your won, you must also take the skills test through the motor vehicle department.