Question regarding bikes from a soon-to-be new rider

JimV
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Question regarding bikes from a soon-to-be new rider

#1 Unread post by JimV »

I'm scheduled to take the MSF course soon and will be looking for a bike after (hopefully) successfully completing the course. I'm considering a number of bikes and have a question regarding the Yamaha/Star cruisers.

I've seen a number of people claim that the clutch on the Yamaha bikes has a very short friction zone, making it more difficult to shift gears or feather the clutch, especially for new riders.

Any comments?

TEvo
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by TEvo »

This is true to some extent. An ex-significant other had a V-Star 650 and the "shallowness" of the friction zone could potentially make clutch modulation more challenging for a new rider.

This can be overcome with lots of static practice and practice with starting/stopping and basic motorcycle operation in a controlled, closed course environment before heading out to traffic.
Two Big Jugs or Four Small Cups. Life's Good.
`08 CBR1000RR "Ayane" - the Shinkansen
`07 S4Rs "Persephone" - urban Monster
`00 SV650 "Ayame" - trackday special

drrick
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by drrick »

My first bike after the MSF course was (is) a vstar 1100 custom. I had no trouble at all with friction zoning at all. You would need to practice a little bit on any bike youhave but I had no trouble at all.

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by IcyHound »

I think the Yamaha does have a shorter friction zone but that doesn't make them unridable. One simple learns how one's bike works. No different then the friction zone differences fro one manual car to another. I think he bikes is almost easier to feel becuase you are using your hands.
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6

JimV
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by JimV »

Thanks to those that responded: I appreciate your input. Obviously, the only way to see if it seems to be a problem for me would be to take one for a ride.

I'm eagerly anticipating the MSF class and looking for my first bike!

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#6 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

You know.... I have the perfect noob bike for sale. :)

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

NNYrider
Regular
Regular

New bike

#7 Unread post by NNYrider »

Jim...

I do have a recommendation: Complete the course BEFORE buying the bike. Your idea about what is a good bike now, and your idea about what is a good bike after the course may be different. It happens often.

Once the course is complete, go check bikes. The second exercise in the MSF BAsic RIder course introduces friction zone. You'll spend the entire exercise learning what it is, and where it is. You'll reinforce this throughout the course (Hint: Friction Zone is THE fundamental skill the course is built on. Focus on it!).

After the course you will not be nearly as concerned about the friction zone on the Vstar or any other bike.

For what its worth, the Yamaha Vstar 650's are great bikes but a bit heavy for that 650 cc engine. The Suzuki C50 series, and the Honda 750's are similar, but offer a larger engine with a little more engine. Its not a huge concern.....

JimV
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by JimV »

NNYrider -

I hear you about not buying a bike before completing the course. I told myself I wouldn't even look at bikes until I passed the course, much less buy one. However, one bright, sunny day the wife and I just happened to find ourselves driving by a couple of motorcycle dealers and the car just kind of veered into the parking lots all by itself! I swear!! :wink:

Since I was already there, I couldn't help sitting on a few to see how they felt, but there is no way I would buy one before passing the MSF class. For now, I'll keep myself busy checking the forums for information, re-reading "Proficient Motorcycling" by Hough and studying the Florida Motorcycle Operator Manual, upon which the written test is based.

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

#9 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

Funny how cars do that sometimes... completely by their own will...

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#10 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i have a yamaha V Star 650 classic and yes, cpmpared to most other bikes, the friction zone is shorter, but dont let that scare you.
I think its designed to help out beginners get use to the clutch and not ride it so much.
All bikes will have different friction zones and within an hour of riding, you get used to it.
I also have a triumph and they seem night and day, though i am used to the V Star, so the triumph friction zone feels strange to me.
good luck
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"