First actual ride

mercurydreams
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

First actual ride

#1 Unread post by mercurydreams »

I got to go on my first actual ride today that wasn't around the neighborhood or to the dealer . I always hear people talking about riding up to Lake Okeechobee and what a great ride it is. So after getting the information and the routes that I needed to take, I hopped on my bike and took off. According to everything that I heard and saw the ride is about 200 miles round trip. Thank God I went prepaired. The temperature today was 87 degrees and kinda looking like it might rain a bit. I ended up packing the windproof/waterproof liner to my jacket as well as a sweatshirt and I'm glad that I did. I kept thinking during the BRC when the instructors were going over hyperthermia that they were covering it because it was in the course (boy was I wrong!) :oops:
The ride was great, but what I learned on the ride really was the highlight of the trip for me. Even thought the weather is 87 degrees, when you add in the wind it is freakin cold! :oops: I also learned how to ride in the wind at highway speeds as well as how to deal with the buffeting affect from being passed by semis. And the last thing that I learned was how to ride in the dark (not as easy as I thought :oops: ) Even with 3 layers on, plus the windproof liner in the jacket, by the time I got home I was freezing. I'm just happy that it didn't end up raining after all.
The total round trip ended up being 320 miles instead of the 200 that I was told it was going to be.
Even though my back and left shoulder are killing me, I can't wait to get back out there and do another day trip like this. I just wanted to share this with you and to say thanks, because I have learned so much from all of you in this forum. Happy trails and safe riding!
Those that give up essental liberty for freedom deserve neither freedom nor liberty

wrecks
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: two wheeled vehicle

#2 Unread post by wrecks »

The ride! That's what its all about. :biker: Glad you had fun.
cag 50cc (pit bike)
91 Ninja 250 (sold)
2k6 GSXR 600 (taken out by cager)
2k6 XT 225
2k8 CBR 1000rr
2k9 DRZ 400sm