new rider needs advice

SCgurl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by SCgurl »

ceemes wrote:
sarahh_00 wrote:Well I have taken the motorcycle class and I have most of my gear. My husband said that it is going be alot different then the class with cars around.
So my next question what is it like the first time on the road?
Terrifying, thrilling, frightening, exhilarating, scary, awesome, heart stopping, incredible.......sort of like the first time one has sex, only you keep your clothes on and it isn't as messy. :laughing:
+1

The first time I got out on the main road, it was with a good friend of mine. He rode kind of as a blocker (without actually blocking traffic completely), just to ease my anxiety a bit so I could get adjusted to the sensory overload.

I put almost 250 miles on the bike in the next 2 days. And didn't sleep for almost a week. It was totally like having hot sex with a new partner. :laughing: And in a way, it still is every time I go for a ride :devil:
2008 Suzuki S40-for sale
2007 Road King-waiting until mid-May
[url=http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/?action=view&current=IMG_0051.jpg][img]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/Jeni1090/th_IMG_0051.jpg[/img][/url]

NNYrider
Regular
Regular

#12 Unread post by NNYrider »

Sarah:

If you've taken the MSf course and passed you are ready to begin riding for real. Keep your head on straight, remember SEE, and go for it.

Do NOT buy a scooter. The controls are different. It will mess you up. Buy a bike. It does not have to be a large one, nor does it need to be expensive. If you shop around you should be able to find a 250 cc class bike (rebel, GZ250), three or four years old, 3000-6000 miles for under $1500. Buy it. Ride. In a year or two you can either sell it for nearly the same money and trade up, or just sell it.

If you want a new bike, look at the same bikes. Rebels, GZ250s, and teh Suzuki S40 (HIGHLY recommended). You can buy any of them new for under $4500.

The scooter thing does NOT make sense. If you get run over by a semi, it will not matter if you were on a 50cc pocket bike or a 1800 cc Goldwing. Little bikes are not "safer". I'd also wager that you may well liekly be quicker to give up riding on a little crappy 50 cc scooter than on a real bike. Better to have a real bike and use it, than to waste $ on junk....

CaptCrashIdaho
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#13 Unread post by CaptCrashIdaho »

[quote="ceemes"
I'd say, Gear first, then MSF and then Bike.[/quote]

I always suggest MSF first because occassionly folks take the MSF, figure out they prefer being a passenger OR they really don't have the chops or aptitude and if you wait on gear til after the MSF, you've saved some dough.

As for Sarah00 I'd suggest riding with an experienced partner (husband maybe) and taking things a little at a time.
I meant to do that.

sarahh_00
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by sarahh_00 »

First of all I want to thank everyone for all the advice. It's been very helpful.
I want to buy a honda rebel 250. I was able to ride that in my motorcycle class and FELL IN LOVE!!! I took the class Sept 08. I do have a friend who rides and can't wait for me to get my bike.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

sarahh_00 wrote:First of all I want to thank everyone for all the advice. It's been very helpful.
I want to buy a honda rebel 250. I was able to ride that in my motorcycle class and FELL IN LOVE!!! I took the class Sept 08. I do have a friend who rides and can't wait for me to get my bike.
Glad the Total Motorcycle community helped you out, really friendly bunch aren't they? :D

Congratulations on taking the MSF course and welcome to the exciting world of motorcycling!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#16 Unread post by shane-o »

sarahh_00 wrote:First of all I want to thank everyone for all the advice. It's been very helpful.
everyone has to start somewhere, whatever ya do take ya time and enjoy ya self, the skills will come in time.

Women so have a better idea about progressive skill building, men of all ages just want jump on a R1 1st up and take their chances ;)

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

phantom1100
Rookie
Rookie

Make him ride with you

#17 Unread post by phantom1100 »

Tell him bikes today are lighter More easy to handle, 50cc to small 250-400cc not a bad size
Yamaha 1100 V-Star Classic

Zagnut
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by Zagnut »

SCgurl siad...
It was totally like having hot sex with a new partner. And in a way, it still is every time I go for a ride

We need to go riding sometime!...
Hell, we could even take the motorcycles out for a spin afterwards... :laughing:

ceemes said...
sort of like the first time one has sex, only you keep your clothes on and it isn't as messy.

lol... well that depends on how many bugs go splat on your jacket and visor.
:wink:

Mr. Invisible
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by Mr. Invisible »

You might want to look at the Suzuki GZ250. That was the bike I took during the course and it was totally comfortable.

I tried sitting on a new rebel and found the seat was too narrow, and the bike is a lot smaller.

For about the same price, the GZ250 is more luxurious. If I hadn't already bought the Suzuki M50 I would have given the 250 a serious look.