terrified!!!

CaptCrashIdaho
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#11 Unread post by CaptCrashIdaho »

Go here: http://www.HowzitDoneCrash.com and watch the "Howzit Done" on Clutching. If you can't launch the bike or shift well you'll end up putting soooo much of your attention on those issues that you'll feel claustrophobic--you realize you're not getting proper info from the world around you.

Then watch the "Howzit Done" on Braking. Here's why: I'm not sure of what you're afraid of but often it's the fear that we'll run into something--being able to stop your bike well gives you a foundation that "if things go wrong--I can stop".

Finally, watch the one on Leaning. Bikes have to lean to turn at speed. Getting used to leaning gets you ready to ride out in the real world.

AND finally--as suggested take a course and if you can't? Save up for it. Practice in a parking lot you feel comfortable in (BIG and EMPTY) and work on the basic skills until you're ready to move into a more challenging environment.
I meant to do that.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Re: thanks

#12 Unread post by Ryethil »

denise04 wrote:thanks for all your advice, classes here are pretty expensive i dont havete money, myhusband is trying to help me learn but im still afraid, i guess ure right iguess ll ust have tokeep at it. whatcauses the back wheel o lock down i surely dont want to do that. i chage the gears ok but sometimei hit the wrong gear and it jerks me bad thats 1 thing that scares me im afraid of being thrown off. hey wy nooneuses the chat room here
Since you posted in two places and this is where everbody is, I'll move over here too. It's cool!

There is a book I have that might be helpful. It's called "A Twist of the Wrist" and while it's meant for sport bikers, it has very good practical stuff too. You might find it at a used bookstore...

Is your husband a experienced rider? Just asking out of habit.

Are you riding your bike to work or places you need to go? Did you choose to ride a bike because it was cheaper than getting a car? I'm asking this because I don't understand why you are scaring yourself so bad. If you have to use your bike for transportation then try to relax a bit. Like so many things, motorcycle riding should be done when you're comfortable with yourself. The more relaxed you are the less mistakes you'll make. But remember everyone makes mistakes. So if you miss a gear or wobble through a turn, just say to yourself you'll do better on the next one. Start making a mental list of what worked in a certain situation and then talk yourself through the next time the same situation comes up.

However, no matter how scary it is now, it will get better. You'll learn to do things just by doing them over and over. It's like walking, A child falls down a lot but she gets up and try's again. It's scary at times and sometimes she just feels out of control and just ends up crying. But I bet you walk very well now. Motorcycle riding is one of those things that you'll get better at until it dawns on you that you're doing it pretty good.

However, even if you think you can't afford it, force yourself to save the money for the learning class. Use what they tell you to create a little mantra that you can repeat to yourself so you'll remember what to do when the the a similar situation comes around. Just like driving a car or riding a bike, motorcycle riding is something that becomes comfortable the more you do it. Just give yourself a chance to learn the basics. and the rest is just small stuff.

If it helps to know, expereinced riders do foolish things all the time. The difference is that they don't get down on themselves for doing it. I fianlly got my new motorcycle put together today and after adding fluids, I couldn't wait to get it out on the street. I'm not used to several differences the Honda has over my Harleys but I'm relying on my knowledge of the basics to get though the learning process. Anyway, I came back to the shop and told anyone that wasn't fast enough to get out of my way what a wunderbike she is. Then I got back on and forgot that ST1300A has bit more horsepower than my Sportster (small Harley) and proceeded to accidentally dump the clutch which put this very expensive motorcycle, which by the way is covered in expensive body work, nose toward the sky. Because I've learn the basics and my experience had taught me not to panic, I just unrolled the throttle and the nose settled down just like the lady she is. No sweat! Though the seat cover was a bit pinched. :jawdrop: :laughing:

Like I said before, find a large parking lot and just ride around, getting used to just moving with your motorcycle. If you can just learn to react to what your motorcycle is trying to tell you, the fear that you feel now will go away. And in deference to common wisdom, when experienced riders talk about fear, they're ususally not talking about the panic that you feel now but a healthy respect for the conditions that a motorcyclist meets when ever they ride on public streets. This something that you should always keep in mind. Motorcycle riding shouldn't be scary but you should be constantly aware of what is going on around you. However, don't use what I just said to frighten yourself even more. You'll gain this awareness the more you ride.

Hey everything is cool. Just don't do what feels unsafe or wrong and you'll get the idea quickly.

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: thanks

#13 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

denise04 wrote:thanks for all your advice, classes here are pretty expensive i dont havete money, myhusband is trying to help me learn but im still afraid, i guess ure right iguess ll ust have tokeep at it. whatcauses the back wheel o lock down i surely dont want to do that. i chage the gears ok but sometimei hit the wrong gear and it jerks me bad thats 1 thing that scares me im afraid of being thrown off. hey wy nooneuses the chat room here
Hon. I'm gonna be harsh here. You need to rethink your strategy. If you don't have the money to take a class that will teach you how to do all the things you're struggling with... then why did you spend money on a bike in the first place? It is simply not possible to ride safely if you're terrified. And that terror comes from not knowing what to expect and what to do.

As an instructor, I've seen folks like you take the course. Some of them simply cannot get their minds out of that panic mode, and realize that motorcycling is not for them. Some of them are able to relax and begin to absorb what we teach - not all of those succeed at getting licensed.

Put simply: Just as not everyone is comfortable jumping out of an airplane with nothing but a big piece of fabric on their backs, not everyone is comfortable piloting a motorcycle. Its a shame you've already bought a bike before discovering whether you can master that fear.

How are you insuring the bike?

Please tell me you've at least got full gear to wear: A full face helmet that fits right, boots, GLOVES, pants and jacket.

If you don't have gear. Then, I hope you've got good health insurance (might want to make sure it isn't one of those policies that excludes motorcycle injuries) and AFLAC to pay your wages if you end up in the hospital for a few weeks.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#14 Unread post by XB08 »

Harley has free classes. they train you on a Buell Blast, very easy bike to ride. check with your local Harley dealer. BMW also has class not as many , but here bikes are tall.

denise04
Rookie
Rookie

thnks

#15 Unread post by denise04 »

im doing a little better now just need practice haha

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#16 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

XB08 wrote:Harley has free classes. they train you on a Buell Blast, very easy bike to ride. check with your local Harley dealer. BMW also has class not as many , but here bikes are tall.
I believe that in PA, all motorcycle safety classes are free to state residents. Not everyone is so lucky.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#17 Unread post by XB08 »

Lion_Lady
BMW and Harley are both trying to get to riders so they both are giving free training, it is by dealer to dealer, Yes in PA it is free to all . But harley and bmw both have something about there free training on there web sites.

JungleJim
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by JungleJim »

I had never ridden before taking the MSF. Prior to the class I took some books out from the library and did a bunch of reading online. I was the only one in class that didn't have experience or at least the only one that admitted it and I was really nervous starting out. They go at a good pace for beginners and I learned so much, I recommend it to anyone that is going to ride.

Even after taking the class, we rode Rebels, and I got on my Suzuki M50 I was a bit intimidated. I just took my time getting used to the bigger bike, practiced the skills they taught in class and let my comfort level grow. The first few times up to highway speed were nerve wracking but still fun. Now as I approach my first full year of riding I am much more comfortable but still take care to ride within my limits.

The money spent on the MSF will be the best spent, I know it was for me.

Take your time, Be safe and have fun

roncg41677
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by roncg41677 »

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is gear. I know that when I'm riding without a good jacket or even gloves my nerves are definitely more on edge. You feel much more vulnerable without proper gear on. Not like you can survive a nuclear blast with it on or anything, but it does instill a tad more confidence :wink: .

If you're struggling with the $ for an MSF course though, I'm sure buying gear will be a challenge. You can find some great deals at places like this or this, or even check Craigs List or Ebay for used gear that's been well taken care of. Careful though, if a helmet has been dropped from as little as 3 or 4 feet it's as good as toast, or so they say :) .
[i]Matthew 6:33 - But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.[/i]
'93 Yamaha Seca II
'92 Yamaha Seca II (Fixing up)

El Conquistador
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by El Conquistador »

Another good place for gear is motorcyclecloseouts.com. I just bought a $300+ leather jacket with all the armor for $169 plus shipping. Shipping was very prompt too. It shipped the day I ordered it, and it should be here Monday (I ordered on Friday).