Magna
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Magna

How do you judge a Helmet?

#1 Unread post by Magna »

When I had my run-in with the guy who ran a stop sign, my head hit the pavement with a righteous smack. My helmet absorbed the hit and my head ( so far ) is fine.

This means an automatic replacement of the helmet even though there is not a mark on it.

It was a $100.00 VOX 3/4 helmet with the retractable visor.

What is the difference between the $ 500.00 helmets and my $ 100.00 helmet. It did its job and it did it well.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Mostly the price difference comes down to "features"

Like sized shells instead of one (or a couple) size shell with a varying amount of padding to make the head fit different.

High tech, lighter weight materials. All manner of variations. Then, just as you can pay $150 for a pair of shoes with the Nike swoosh, you will also pay a bit more for some of the names.

You were lucky that you landed on your helmet, instead of a part of your head that wasn't protected. Don't expect to be so lucky the next time.

In a study done in Europe on helmet impacts. the only areas that were double digit percentages were both sides of the jaw with 16% on one side and 19% on the other.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#3 Unread post by zeligman »

as your graphic so beautifully and efficiently demonstrates :

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/attach. ... Damage.gif

NewGuy
Elite
Elite

Re: How do you judge a Helmet?

#4 Unread post by NewGuy »

Magna wrote:When I had my run-in with the guy who ran a stop sign, my head hit the pavement with a righteous smack. My helmet absorbed the hit and my head ( so far ) is fine.

This means an automatic replacement of the helmet even though there is not a mark on it.

It was a $100.00 VOX 3/4 helmet with the retractable visor.

What is the difference between the $ 500.00 helmets and my $ 100.00 helmet. It did its job and it did it well.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... et-faq.htm

"Do inexpensive DOT-approved helmets protect better than helmets than expensive Snell-approved helmets? The June 2005 Motorcyclist magazine addressed this controversy. That issue contains a detailed article on an extensive test that was conducted on 16 different motorcycle helmets, ranging from the $89.00 Z1R (wBW review) to the $700.00 Schuberth S1 (wBW review).

Their conclusion is that the inexpensive, polycarbonate shell Z1R transferred an average of 152Gs to the head-form, vs. 211Gs of the Snell-approved Scorpion EXO-700.

Also, the UK's RIDE magazine tested 28 helmets in the May 2005 issue. While the testing methodology was slightly different, they also found that the HJC AC-11 provided the second best impact absorption of the lot. Could it be that a motorcycle helmet doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to provide good protection?

There's much, much more to the story, and we strongly suggest reading both articles and studying this subject before you buy your next helmet. One of the conclusions in the Motorcyclist magazine article is that a softer polycarbonate DOT-only approved helmet may provide the highest levels of protection. Do inexpensive DOT-approved helmets protect better than helmets than expensive Snell-approved helmets? The June 2005 Motorcyclist magazine addressed this controversy. That issue contains a detailed article on an extensive test that was conducted on 16 different motorcycle helmets, ranging from the $89.00 Z1R (wBW review) to the $700.00 Schuberth S1 (wBW review).

Their conclusion is that the inexpensive, polycarbonate shell Z1R transferred an average of 152Gs to the head-form, vs. 211Gs of the Snell-approved Scorpion EXO-700.

Also, the UK's RIDE magazine tested 28 helmets in the May 2005 issue. While the testing methodology was slightly different, they also found that the HJC AC-11 provided the second best impact absorption of the lot. Could it be that a motorcycle helmet doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to provide good protection?

There's much, much more to the story, and we strongly suggest reading both articles and studying this subject before you buy your next helmet. One of the conclusions in the Motorcyclist magazine article is that a softer polycarbonate DOT-only approved helmet may provide the highest levels of protection."

Kind of makes me regret getting a Scorpion EXO-700 instead of an HJC or Z1R. :o

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#5 Unread post by RockBottom »

My experience is pretty limited, but when I compare my mid-priced Nolan and my high end Arai, the Arai is significantly more comfortable. It's lighter, quieter, much better ventilated, and the visor is much clearer. Even if the crash protection is not twice as good, I'll go for the comfort every time.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#6 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Am I missing something, but I haven't seen very many full-face DOT only helmets - almost everything I see are both DOT and Snell 2005.

I'd go DOT only based on a lot of information (some in this thread) on energy transferred to the head.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#7 Unread post by jaskc78 »

i have a full-face that's DOT only. made by SparX. not sure if they just didn't go for the Snell rating or it's not good enough for Snell or what the deal is, but it's DOT only.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

#8 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

I chose my Scorpion EXO-400 simply because it was the perfect fit for me. It held up in my crash very well. I took a nasty hit to the back of my head, evidently, by the marks and indentation in the back of the helmet, but I didn't even have so much as a headache that night. I would prefer a quieter helmet for my next one, but the EXO served me well. It is Snell certified.
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#9 Unread post by RockBottom »

RhadamYgg wrote:Am I missing something, but I haven't seen very many full-face DOT only helmets - almost everything I see are both DOT and Snell 2005.

I'd go DOT only based on a lot of information (some in this thread) on energy transferred to the head.

RhadamYgg
I have a Schuberth S1 and a Nolan that are DOT approved but not Snell. Let again point out that DOT is what makes a helmet "legal" in the U.S. There are none sold in the U.S. that are Snell but not DOT approved.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

My Shoei-X11 is the only one that will fit me :(
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)