Advice on older British bikes for a beginner?

TQueen
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Advice on older British bikes for a beginner?

#1 Unread post by TQueen »

Hello! I'm new to this forum and looking into buying my first bike. I'm not sure if I'll regret it later or not, but I'm pretty hell-bent on getting an older British bike model. It all started when I went on a date awhile back. A boy picked me up on his Royal Enfield, which promptly died about 5 miles from my house. While helping him push it back I couldn't help but fall in love. With the bike that is.

I've been riding on the back of these British bikes for awhile now but am getting restless and eager to ride alongside everyone on my own bike. My biggest concern is my size. British bikes aren't all that big, but my height barely reaches 5'2 and all the bikes I've sat on I can't plant my feet flat on any of them. It makes me nervous that I'm not going to be able to lift my own bike if I drop it. The first time I tried to ride the Bullet I dropped it as soon as I went 10 feet and tried to turn. :( (after I spent 30 minutes to kickstart it :lol: ) It was sort of spirit crushing.

I guess my question is is there a good 'beginner' British bike I should be going after? One that is less notorious for mechanical problems, as well as easier to handle. (I'm looking at BSA in particular, though I'm open to other suggestions!) I'm having a hard time finding data on these bikes. One person has suggested a BSA C15. Suggestions? I would most likely have to import this bike or get it shipped from afar considering where I live, I hate to buy a bike and get it shipped to me only to find its way too much bike for me.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

Check out the new Royal Enfield reproductions. They're fairly small, and reliability should be leaps and bounds better then the vintage article. I'd personally be leery of taking on a vintage British bike as my first ride, they're too prone to require intensive maintenance.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

In word parts not to mention the failure you already mentioned. My first bike was a 58 triumph tigercub 200. It was a love hate relationship. When it ran I was in love, when it didn't..... I too looked at the enfield, but in the end being practical won out. I bought a Rebel which is pretty much twice the bike of the enfield. I did want that bike and i certainly feel for you, but you have to ask yourself do you want to ride with no headaches or do you want to ride for 20 minutes and wrench for 2 hours? In the end that may be the choice you have to make. Very cool bikes though. Good luck.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

Bring money.

Any bike that old (probably goes double for old Britt bikes) will always gladly suck up $100-$500 for something. And $1000-$2000 could probably be sunk into one at anytime as well. Just to keep the thing on the road.

I like the idea of a new Royal Enfield. Electric start, fuel injection, classic everything else. Cool bikes.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by flynrider »

It looks like Royal Enfield is finally moving into the late 20th century :laughing: Until I saw your post, I didn't realize that they had modernized the design. A friend bought one about 5 years ago and his was exactly the same as a '55 Bullet (with all of the problems they came with 50 yrs. ago). Unlike other "retro" bikes with modern upgrades (like Kaw's W650), that thing was a real throwback.

The unfortunate thing about the old brit bikes was their less than stellar reliability. I got a crash course in bike maintenance when I was young and stupid and bought an old Triumph Trophy 500. It was a blast when it ran, but I definitely spent more time turning wrenches than riding.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Yep I highly suggest a new brit bike that looks like an old one.
Otherwise, may I recommend MMI, Wyotech, or any other various schools for learning to wrench? :laughing:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Ryethil »

Hey,

I just got out the British bike restoration business or I probably had the best bike for you, a Tourist Trophy 500cc Triumph. I got of the business because I had gotten tired of all the problems of bad suppliers, worse collectors and cut throat business practices.

However, I would say to do now is check things out and see if British Endfield is imported in to your country. And if it is, try a new bike. They are small and have the orginal feel (and size) of the old 500cc single Brit. bike. They are low end power bikes that are pure British experience. I don't know the fees on imported bikes.

I've been to Japan (mostly in the Tokyo and Kyoto areas) a few times. I hope your English ability is able to read my American. And I hope your quest has a happy ending. :D
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

TQueen
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by TQueen »

Thank you everyone for your sound advice. I am still debating with myself whether or not the mechanic issues are going to make having the old bike worth it. I have a good mechanic that says he'd be willing to work with me and teach me what he can, but I don't want to bug him all the time if I happen to get a real turd.

I was unaware that there were new Royal Enfields with modernized upgrades. The one I messed around with was a 2000 model, and still had all the same problems as if it were 50 years old. :? I'll look into that.

Miss Ryethil,
I've been living in Tokyo for awhile but I'm actually from west Texas originally. I will be returning home for a couple years and then returning here. I'm hoping to bring my bike and a little experience back with me! Thank you for your advice. If you can recommend any good British bike dealers in the area I'd appreciate it! :)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#9 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

You might wanna check out if this one's available in Japan . . .

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?s ... le_id=1066

A Bullet with EFI. Whodathunkit?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

TQueen wrote:I was unaware that there were new Royal Enfields with modernized upgrades. The one I messed around with was a 2000 model, and still had all the same problems as if it were 50 years old. :? I'll look into that.
The Enfield product line in the US has gotten complicated - gosh knows what it's like in Japan. In the US, 2008 was the last year to get a Bullet Classic with the old "iron barrel" (1955) engine. Bullet Classics in '09 are sold with the "Lean Burn AVL" engine originally developed for the Electra X. (This is a new aluminum head on the old-style bottom end.)

The totally new stuff is the Classic EFI G5 and C5 models. This is an all-new unit construction engine with electronic fuel injection - still a long-stroke pushrod engine though. The chassis and suspension have been tweaked, and the overall appearance is very nice, particularly the C5. They were developed specifically for the US and Europe, don't know what the availability is elsewhere. I've heard the original iron barrel engine is still in production, at least for one more year, for Indian domestic consumption.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S