America vs Bonneville SE vs M50 vs V Star 950

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

America vs Bonneville SE vs M50 vs V Star 950

#1 Unread post by StormRider »

Hey all. Yes, another “Which bike is best thread.”
I’ve been lurking for a little while and thought I might as well post something.

So I’ve read all the reviews and the America, Bonneville SE, M50, and V Star 950 all seem like great bikes. I found comparisons that include some of these bikes but none that compare them to each other. So I’m curious how some of you all would compare and contrast these four bikes.

FYI – My rides will include commuting (5 miles round trip), visits to friends and family up to 125 miles away, and just going for rides through the roads of New Hampshire and Vermont.
This will be my first bike. I took and loved the MSF basic rider course. I am also seriously considering a used 250cc bike, but let’s save that conversation for a different thread.

Thanks for your input

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

We used to own a 2004 Marauder, which has a carbureted version of the same 805cc v-twin as in the M50. I also own a Bonneville. Compared to the vertical twin in the Triumphs, the Suzuki has less power. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the Marauder's performance. But it certainly has sufficient power for your requirements. I can't comment on the V Star 950. Of those four bikes, I think you'll find the Triumphs have the highest performance. How much do you need? Only you can say, and you really can't say until you have more experience.

If price is an issue, the Triumphs have a slight disadvantage against the Suzuki or Yamaha. OTOH, the Triumphs weigh significantly less - this affects performance, mileage, and handling.

The Suzuki is shaft drive, the Yamaha is belt drive, and the Triumphs are chain drive. Shaft and belt require less maintenance. Some people are very put off by the prospect of chain maintainence, other people (me for example) couldn't care less. (All 4 of our motorcycles are chain drive.) Just a warning: a lot of nonsense is spouted in this world about chain drive by people who don't own chain driven bikes!

What I suggest you do is sit on all four bikes, and buy the one that seems most comfortable to you. For an 125 mile trip, you'll spend several hours in the saddle. Make sure the bike you select has a riding position you can see yourself in for an extended period.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by StormRider »

That's some good info and advice. Thanks jstark.

Anyone else?

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#4 Unread post by MZ33 »

Don't buy new, don't buy new, don't buy new. That rules out the V Star 950, at least this year.

Give the used 250 some really serious consideration. Negotiate a really good price, given the economy, and use it to firm up all the stuff you were introduced to in the MSF course. Ride the tar out of it. Get really good at maximum braking and maximum lean, and do all kinds of slo-mo stuff with it.

In the meantime, go sit on the others, decide what fits you best. Once fall/winter rolls around, start scouting for your next, bigger, ride. Both used and new bikes should be priced well at that time. And angle hard for a test ride.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Metamorphosis
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#5 Unread post by Metamorphosis »

I can really only comment on the M50. I have a C50 and it's also my first bike. It may be less powerful than the other two but it's by no means insufficient. It can easily get up to 90 on the highway. Some pluses are non-spoke wheels (that's a plus in my book), shaft drive, and fuel injection.

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by StormRider »

I have finally been able to sit on them all now and it is down to the V Star 950 and the Bonneville SE. They both fit great. The 950 gets an edge for the lower seat and the Bonnie gets and edge for lighter weight and (I’m assuming) sportier handling. The ergonomics were different, but both felt good.

The America surprised me. The seat is higher than the 950 and M50 so I didn’t feel as stable at a stop. Also the pegs are way far forward. I could reach the controls, but it didn’t feel safe.

The M50 is nice and fits well. I guess I’d rather pay a little more to get a little more.

With all that said, it’s been months now since I took the MSF basic rider course and I haven’t been on a bike since (recently moved and can’t buy a bike until the old house sells). So in all likelihood, I’ll buy something used and smaller and log 1000s of miles riding back and forth between Yamaha and Triumph dealers .