Parking in Boulder

dargis
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Parking in Boulder

#1 Unread post by dargis »

Hey guys,
im moving to boulder colorado in a week. my apartment complex does not have enclosed parking spaces. they have an off street parking lot, with assigned spots and they do have covered parking areas as well. my question to you guys is, do you think it would be safe to keep the bike in a parking lot like that, in only a covered place? i havent lived in colorado before so i do not know if the bike would be safe over night, etc...

jerry
dargis

2004 Honda 600 RR

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#2 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

What kind of bike, how good is you insurance, how good of an neighborhood are you in?, BTW: both my bikes sit on my driveway full time when i am not ridding them
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

dargis
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by dargis »

i dont know how nice the neighborhood is. its decent enough on the user ratings of the appts. its 30th and glenwood i believe. right by the college and a mile north of pearl street. its a 2002 honda f4i. pretty nice bike. have you ever had any problems with people touching or dinging your bike while parking in the city?
dargis

2004 Honda 600 RR

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey bud, you'll be fine in Boulder as long as you keep the key out of the bike and a disc lock on it, especially in that neighborhood. (Ex is from there and I visited a lot :laughing: )
Moving out there for CU?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dargis
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by dargis »

hey man i really appreciate that info. i am new to colorado and dont know about the safety of the area. i am planning to move there and once i get my residency in a year, then attend CU. im looking for fellow riders to meet down there, as i only know one person. looking forward to it
dargis

2004 Honda 600 RR

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by koji52 »

Yea dude...I live on the outskirts of Trenton, NJ (not the ghetto area of Trenton, but also not the nicest area). My bikes are parked outside under generic covers. I lock the forks and the ignition. At night they're usually hidden from the street behind my truck. I don't live in a great area but it works fine for me (knock on wood). Both my bikes are fully insured though.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

dargis
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by dargis »

thanks for the info Koji. i have heard twice now that i should lock up the brake and the ignition and it should be fine. the covering that my appt offers is 40 dollars a month, i think it would be worth the piece of mind to not have my bike out in the open. the parking lot is off the street, however i will feel more at ease with it covered i think. where do you ride out there in NJ, im uneducated with that area, so i am thinking stereotypically that there is a vast amount of city to get through. thanks again
dargis

2004 Honda 600 RR

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

Koji had a good point with putting it under a bike cover if you're worried about it. It looks a lot more suspicious to the average person if someone is lifting up a bike cover to get a look at a bike they're not getting on.
And just so you know, lots of people in that town have supersports as well as cruisers. Not saying yours isn't nice, but you should see some of the trust fund hippies' bikes there. :shock:
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dargis
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by dargis »

ya Wrider my bike isnt really that great. it has some upgrades and a custom paint job, i'm putting up a picture today... but i do not think its the 'cream of the crop.' its definately not the best bike, but you know how it is, you want to keep your first bike safe right? :D i agree with the bike cover suggestion. and i appreciate the advice. i do not have a brake lock, how much do those run on average?
dargis

2004 Honda 600 RR

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Bud I'm just impressed to find an F4i that hasn't been stunted out! :laughing:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... ories.aspx

Looks to me as they run anywhere from 20-200 bucks.

Also, if you end up getting an alarm (can be good, but I wouldn't say you'd need it in Boulder), make SURE the wiring for it is NOT accessible without using the key, I.E. under the seat with the keyed storage compartment. Can't tell you how many times I've seen wiring for alarms out in the open where all it takes is 5 seconds and you have a new-to-you motorcycle ready to roll!