New Rider

CountryBiker
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

New Rider

#1 Unread post by CountryBiker »

Just found this web site. Just wondering if anyone is still using it. I have been looking around and see that most of the post are over 1 year old. Or I just haven't figured out how to use this site yet.

Anyway I took the NJ Motorcycle Safety Course 3 weeks ago and passed with flying colors. The only trouble I found with it, is that they gave us Honda 125cc bikes to learn on. They are so much smaller then regular bikes.

I did some looking and found a bike I thought would be a good start for me. It is a 2001 Blast 500cc it has a low seat and a good hand clutch reach which was very important for me. I am only 5' 1" and have very short legs and small hand span. When I found this bike I took it for a test ride and found that it was a lot different then the bike we used during the class.

I did buy the bike but I am taking things very slow. I have been riding on back roads with out traffic and stops and getting use to the turns of the road. I think everything will be fine in time but I just need to take it slow. It was a little depressing after doing so well at the class and then to get my own bike and its like starting over.

Has anyone else had this type of situation?

CountryBiker
Ride On - Be Safe - Have Fun
1st Bike:
2001 Buell Blast 500cc
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/al5kw7.jpg[/img]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#2 Unread post by dr_bar »

Welcome to TMW...

You might want to check that the correct date and time zone is set in your profile...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Dragon on Wheels
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Dragon on Wheels »

Welcome and congratulations on passing the course!

Do as you're doing and take it slow at first. The first couple of rides I took, I was too excited and had trouble recalling steps and methods from the BRC. Fortunately, I was also on roads with no traffic or in a parking lot. Practice, practice, practice! Try not to be nervous, remember what they taught you, and apply it.
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Rogero
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 03/Harley/Deuce

#4 Unread post by Rogero »

Hey dude,

I hear you. Took the course a month ago and have since been trying to get up to speed on my bike. On the course, I was on a 200cc Kawasaki - and now I'm on a 1450 Harley - different beasts for sure.

I was too bold in my first week and it resulted in me dropping the bike twice. Then I wisened up and took it slower. Short, easy rides every night really helped. A month (and 300 miles) later - I'm feeling wayyyyy more comfortable.

So my 2 cents - do take it slow but be confident in what you learned and have fun. The skills will come on your bike and it gets better every day.

Rogero
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 03/Harley/Deuce

#5 Unread post by Rogero »

P.s. The folks on this forum are patients and great with advice for us new guys!

Thx to all the riders (new and old) that offer up their wisdom

Velocity
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New Rider

#6 Unread post by Velocity »

CountryBiker wrote:Just found this web site. Just wondering if anyone is still using it. I have been looking around and see that most of the post are over 1 year old. Or I just haven't figured out how to use this site yet.

Anyway I took the NJ Motorcycle Safety Course 3 weeks ago and passed with flying colors. The only trouble I found with it, is that they gave us Honda 125cc bikes to learn on. They are so much smaller then regular bikes.

I did some looking and found a bike I thought would be a good start for me. It is a 2001 Blast 500cc it has a low seat and a good hand clutch reach which was very important for me. I am only 5' 1" and have very short legs and small hand span. When I found this bike I took it for a test ride and found that it was a lot different then the bike we used during the class.

I did buy the bike but I am taking things very slow. I have been riding on back roads with out traffic and stops and getting use to the turns of the road. I think everything will be fine in time but I just need to take it slow. It was a little depressing after doing so well at the class and then to get my own bike and its like starting over.

Has anyone else had this type of situation?

CountryBiker
Moving to another bike is just like starting over, CountryBiker, so don't let yourself get discouraged by that.

And I understand that some MSF BRC courses use the Buell Blast as their course bike, so it's not a bad bike to start with.

Just don't plan on moving up to a 2010 Blast.
Current ride: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

CountryBiker
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks

#7 Unread post by CountryBiker »

Thank you to everyone who has responded. It is really nice to know that it isn't me and it will just take time and practice with the new bike. I took a 15 mile round trip ride yesterday and I do have to say it was easier then my first trip out with the bike. I was actually able to go down my driveway (downhill) which I was afraid of my first day out. Better yet when I came home I was able to get up the driveway and into the garage without stalling the bike :) . I have a bad habit of popping the clutch but I didn't do that at all on my ride yesterday. So I guess improvement comes with practice and I will keep at it.

Thanks again.

CountryBiker
Ride On - Be Safe - Have Fun
1st Bike:
2001 Buell Blast 500cc
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/al5kw7.jpg[/img]

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

Howdy, welcome to the forum. Have you checked out any You Tube videos from Captain Crash? The one on slipping your clutch is a good one.So is the one on starting on a hill.I also liked the one about parking lots.The one on leaning had a lot of good infoThe best one is about which voices in your head to listen to.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#9 Unread post by Amdonim »

I got a toolbar for my browser that shows highlighted text just because of you :D

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#10 Unread post by zeligman »

hey there country rider! I'm only about 2 months ahead of you! took the course in june, been riding since july. I upgraded to a mustang seat for my bike - making my behind way more comfy, but then had to relearn how to ride the bike all over again!

it happens to everyone. One day/ one ride at a time.

hang in there, wear your gear, and take your time.

-z
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!