Helmet Dealers in NH/VT

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

Helmet Dealers in NH/VT

#1 Unread post by StormRider »

I’m yet to get a bike, and it may be a few months before I do. In the mean time I’d like to get a helmet so I don’t make a rushed choice when it is bike time. The online stores are great and all, but I’d really like to try one on before I buy it. I’ve been to a couple stores and the selection has been less than impressive – one or two models of one or two brands. Can anyone recommend a store in New Hampshire or Vermont (or even the Boston area) that has a really good selection of helmets?
I’m looking for a full-face and I’ve tried on 3 and noticed how different the fits can be. I just want to be sure before I plunk down 100s of dollars.
If you know of a store that carries one brand, that would be helpful information too. Most stores’ websites don’t seem to list that kind of info.

Thanks for your help.

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#2 Unread post by dean owens »

i can't help you out other than to say that you should read the helmet fit guideline thread if you haven't already. i remember shopping for my first helmet. i too had to go to a few shops... in different cities even... before i found the helmet that fit my head. i really wanted a modular helmet but none fit me right. ended up with a full-faced scorpion exo-700. it fits perfect. there might not be a "super-store" around you. if not, just keep shopping until you find a helmet that fits. hopefully someone from the area will chime in and be more help then me. :wink: good luck.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#3 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I would not buy without trying it on. I have found that you cannot go by size alone, (we are talking about helmets, right?). I've found that an X in one brand equates to an XL in another. Just my $0.02/worth.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by StormRider »

That is exactly my concern, havegunjoe. Plus some helmets are more round and some are more oval.
Looks like there is a place near Burlington, VT that claims to have more helmets than anyone in New England. I'm yet to get there but I will soon enough.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

havegunjoe wrote:I would not buy without trying it on. I have found that you cannot go by size alone, (we are talking about helmets, right?). I've found that an X in one brand equates to an XL in another. Just my $0.02/worth.
As with shoes, sometimes the same size/style from another box will fit differently than the one you've got on. For your first helmet, buy the one that fits when you try it on.

>>Print out and take along the Helmet Fit Guidelines from the stickies.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

dustin32
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by dustin32 »

havegunjoe wrote:I would not buy without trying it on. I have found that you cannot go by size alone, (we are talking about helmets, right?). I've found that an X in one brand equates to an XL in another. Just my $0.02/worth.
True, but sometimes it's worth buying online because of the incredible savings. And most sellers online will accept a return at no cost for an exchange. To me it's worth the hassle because of the amount of money you save.

For instance, I just purchased an HJC FS-15 Carbon Helmet online for $220 free shipping. Cost in the store? $486 including tax. Yeah, I saved $260 on a premium helmet by being a smart shopper. If the size was off, I would have returned it for a different helmet -- yeah, a hassle in some cases, but well worth it to save that kind of money. The amount I saved was enough to get me a brand new Vanson leather perforated jacket (also online). I was also able to get a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs via this method at half the cost. My next target is a pair of Held Phantom gloves at a good discount.

So if you are willing to be patient and want to save money, I recommend online purchases. And btw, most reputable online shoe dealers will accept returns at no cost to you as well. Believe it or not, online purchasing and returns/exchanges is very simple.