Truth
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1982/Suzuki/GS650G

Riding in high wind

#1 Unread post by Truth »

Beautiful weather today except for all the wind! Riding around town a little today and getting above 40mph with the wind blowing at my side is a bit un-nerving. Feels like I'm going to get pushed into the next lane. Riding into the wind feels like it's going to blow me right off the bike! Any tips or tricks from the experienced riders as to anyway to cope with this? Or does it come with practice?

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

Re: Riding in high wind

#2 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I personally hate riding in the wind. It takes getting use to but if it is really bad you just have to lean into it. That's what I do anyway.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

Wind is what it is. You can't beat it, you just have to deal with it. You'll get used to compensating for it with time, just don't let it get to you. You are still in control.

Flatlanders like us in Alberta ride in heavy crosswinds far more than we'd like. It comes with practice.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#4 Unread post by shane-o »

agreed ^^

No one likes riding in strong winds same as most dont like riding in the wet or the cold

but

what are you going to do.... not ride, not me !!!

You get used to it, and what usually happens is you will eventually get caught out, you will be miles from home the weather will turn nasty, you will finidng yourself riding in the most god awful cross winds, you will survive, and every other windy day will same like a walk in the park :)

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

JustMark
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: '06 Honda Nighthawk cb250

#5 Unread post by JustMark »

And being on a small bike like mine (nighthawk cb250) that weighs less than 300#, and being a n00b makes crosswinds an experience. Sometimes it feels like my bike is going to be blown out from under me. I just slow down a bit until it passes, then i pick my speed back up. Dont know if it makes a difference or not, but it makes me feel better....hahaha!!!

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#6 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

I agree with Buzz, the winds in flat land Alberta can get damn nasty. Been riding in 70k winds before. And yes it sucked.
Depending on which direction the cross wind is coming from, i will position myself on the the left or right side of the lane. This helps when you riding and there is a wind break, whether it be trees or building etc. Because when the wind suddenly stops your bike will veer off a bit, so in this case it gives me some extra lane to adjust.
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Triumphgirl wrote:Depending on which direction the cross wind is coming from, i will position myself on the the left or right side of the lane.
+1

I try to 'duck' down towards my tank when it's gusty. Gives me a sense of being one with the bike and therefore not able to be blown off! ;)
Andrea :sun:

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#8 Unread post by MZ33 »

First time I was caught in a high, steady wind, I thought I was going to end up off the bridge and into the water. Posted here as a newb, like you have, with a "WTF do I do?"

+1 to what has already been said. Gusts are worst of all, 'cuz one can't be sure when they will hit, or when they will suddenly back off. Beware especially of oncoming tractor-trailers in high winds, there is a whole lot more push/pull when they pass you, and it can suck you sideways. I have gone for miles/hours with my head tucked down beside the tank, the bike tilted into the wind, my neck feeling like it was growing a hump. Hated it. HATED it. But we got to the conference on time!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#9 Unread post by KingRobb »

Yeah high winds are no fun...just keep those knees in tight and keep a smile.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke