Motorcycle Parking Questions

Purpledrank
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Motorcycle Parking Questions

#1 Unread post by Purpledrank »

I know this thread may sound stupid to some, but I've always wondered what the rules of etiquette and safety are for motorcycles. I'm very new to motorcycles and want to know everything about them before I go out buying one. Is it okay to just park a motorcycle out alongside the curb? What about out in the rain?

These questions may sound like common sense to some, but I would like to know from experienced riders before going out on my own. Remember, I don't know much about motorcycles. ;) Thanks.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

Re: Motorcycle Parking Questions

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

It would depend on what city and state or country you live in as each have different rules on parking. In NY we have to park them at an angle to make getting out of a spot easier and also to be more visible and take less space so that other cycles can maybe come and park. Then there's the other way of parking that's been used more so in NYC but not exactly legal and that is to park on the sidewalk. Generally it's okay if the sidewalk is wide enough that the bike won't be in the way and that it cannot block any paths to doorways or the paths to pedestrians but there have been a few strict traffic agents issuing tickets for this behavior though it's pretty rare.

A good motorcycle cover should be used to protect your bike from the elements. I haven't been using a cover much when out and about and my bikes all have stayed out in the rain and snow with little problem, even on the paint job but a cover is still a good idea especially if you don't want thieves to see your bike in plain view.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Mokushi
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Yamaha YBR125

#3 Unread post by Mokushi »

When I park, I always look first for a designated motorcycle parking bay. If I cannot find one within a certain range of my destination, I look for somewhere where I can tie my bike up. Most often, this includes cycle parking areas (I consistently see motorcycles park in such places) or even a lamppost. Anywhere where I'm not in anyones way; Sometimes I have to slightly push my bike into a bush if it really comes down to that.
"The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves I mean other people. And by laugh I mean invade." - Jimmy Carr

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#4 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I usually back into a space and park at an angle with my rear wheel to the curb. That way you can see in both directions when you leave. I try to leave room for another bike to take advantage of the space I am in. If it is a pay meter and I have paid and another bike shares my space, good. I don’t get upset about it I do the same thing when I can. If there is another bike already in the space, I try to leave them enough room to mount and pull their bike upright. Usually 3 bikes are about max in a typical parking space I find.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

+1 what havegunjoe said. Also...a cover is a good idea if your bike if your bike has to be in the rain for days...but so far my bike has been parked in the rain during my work day without a cover and is fine.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#6 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I usually keep my bike parked in my shed, but Ive had it out in the rain while at work, and as long as you have a towel for the seat you should be all good.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Nightster XL1200N

#7 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

I have to take a minute to "dog" here. I ride to work sometimes, and i work nights. So there's always a ton of open spots. Anyway, I park in a regular parking spot, and I only use half of it. Even though I'm entitled to the whole thing. When I leave in the morning there's always so dude or girl parked right next to me like we're bros and go riding every weekend.

Park in your own friggin spot.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

What difference does it make if someone uses the half of the parking space your not using?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#9 Unread post by flynrider »

I figure if someone parks over to one side of a full size space, they don't mind if another bike shares it. I don't mind sharing, so I specifically park off to one side.

If you don't want to share your parking space, just park right in the middle and diagonally so another bike won't fit in the space.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

johnj and flynrider..... +1