Gps/ Travel planning

Tigeron
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None Yet (will be getting a Ninja 250R)

Gps/ Travel planning

#1 Unread post by Tigeron »

Alright I know that the motorcycle I am looking at isn't a touring bike (Ninja 250R) but even for the small motorcycle trails around my home area or trips to a few places outside of the area I was looking for a bit of help. I want to know what kind of luck you guys have had with gps systems and your motorcycle and any suggestions for one. Also, is there any websites or software out there that will help to plan a bit of traveling. For instance inputting how many miles you get to a gallon and it show gas stations within that range or showing motorcycle friendly hotels and gas stations, ect..

Oh and does anyone have suggestions on mods to be done with a Ninja 250R to make it more interstate friendly?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

Re: Gps/ Travel planning

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

I dunno, the windscreen seemed good enough for me but you can always see if there are "lips" available for it to lessen any buffeting you might be getting or a taller aftermarket screen. The bike can handle 70 - 80 MPH (friends experience) so that shouldn't be a problem it might take a bit of wringing to get there as it tops out at 100 or so. They have all types of luggage for that bike, mostly soft ones. Sorta depends on how long you can go before discomfort sets in. You can always add some visibility as the tail lights aren't too big so a nice vest like the Icon Mil-spec should be good, if not a totally hi-vis jacket. Of course be mindful of the usual maintenance on the bike like chain slack and oil levels and tires pressures. Tolls can be annoying but here along the east coast we have EZ-Pass not sure if you plan on passing any tolls or if there's a quick payment system available to you. Before I got it I would rely on a make shift soft bag near the dash or tank with small denominations for tolls.

If people managed to make cross country trips on their Honda Rebels there should be no reason why your bike can't handle it better.

I never really used a GPS system, before it was maps and pace notes and now my Android phone has a decent GPS system without spending a fortune. Not sure on how accurate it is as I really don't depend on it when I'm riding long distances, only to show my current location when I stop.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Tigeron
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None Yet (will be getting a Ninja 250R)

#3 Unread post by Tigeron »

Kewl, I have been finding a lot of similar tips and information searching through the net. I was just wondering then about what GPS programs people are using on their Android phones, whether it is the google maps or some other program?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

The Google Maps is what I use since it is free.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

There's a garmin nuvi, I think in the 500 series that's waterproof. It makes a great bike mounted gps and isn't as fragile as using the phone (even with waterproof cases a dedicated GPS outperforms my phones [htc incredible for fiancee and iphone for me]). Most of the nuvi's will let you put in your gas range, have lots of POIs (like gas stations) and let you plan your ride on the computer with numerous waypoints.

Ever since I went GPS, I haven't gone back- but I upgraded to avoid traffic, have weather updates and have the nice more accurate speedo. There are lots of places my phone's gps isn't very accurate and the signal isn't there for weather updates.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

There is a Ninja250 forum... google is your friend. Another tip: Don't do too many "permanent" upgrades to your Ninjette. You can't get the money back (or even more than about 1/4 of it) at resale. If you're seriously thinking about moto-touring, then keep in mind that such upgrades are easier on a slightly more powerful machine. A GPS is one upgrade that is easy to transfer from bike to bike (and bike to car :) ).

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Wait. Back up. From your profile, you don't yet have a bike?

In that case, wait on the GPS. Don't try to navigate via GPS while you're still so green at riding. Get some serious miles under your wheels - until you're good and comfortable with the essentials of dealing with traffic, road conditions, etc. Before you add in an electronic gizmo. It is just too tempting to "futz" with buttons while moving... which for a new rider (or a seasoned one), can be catastrophic.

You'd be better served to use the case to make sure you've got decent, well fitting gear: Boots, gloves, pants.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

Lion_Lady wrote:In that case, wait on the GPS. Don't try to navigate via GPS while you're still so green at riding. Get some serious miles under your wheels - until you're good and comfortable with the essentials of dealing with traffic, road conditions, etc. Before you add in an electronic gizmo. It is just too tempting to "futz" with buttons while moving... which for a new rider (or a seasoned one), can be catastrophic.
+1000

I agree totally. If the OP is a noob, get a year's experience riding in traffic before adding a gadget like a GPS. It took me at least that long to do the basics (turn a corner, panic stop, etc) without consciously talking myself through the maneuver...
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

I bought a Garmin 500 and I love it. But personally I would not recommend it for a new rider just yet. Also I'd look at getting a Bluetooth Intercom for your helmet so you don't have to look over at the GPS you can just listen to the directions with your ears.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

brajon
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Honda

#10 Unread post by brajon »

I have had my Garmin Montana 650 for 5 years now, and I'm quite satisfied with its performance.