pirataye
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 21
My Motorcycle: 2001/Honda/Rebel

I'm looking for suggestions for my first motorcycle

#1 Unread post by pirataye »

I'm looking for suggestions for my first motorcycle.
I'm looking for a small bike most probably a 250cc, and I dont want to spend alot of money either. I am 5'5" and 120lbs.
I like to ride a cruiser type bike, but I'm not sure if its there any bike which is suitable for me.

Thank you!

Tigeron
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None Yet (will be getting a Ninja 250R)

Re: I'm looking for suggestions for my first motorcycle

#2 Unread post by Tigeron »

Well I don't have a motorcycle as of yet, but am in the process of getting one and have done a lot of research. In the 250CC range there are choices but the ones I know are Honda Rebel, Suzuki GS 250, or the Ninja 250R. Now I am sure there are others and some of the experienced riders may give you other suggestions as well. There are a lot of threads out there about beginner motorcycles just search for "Beginner Motorcycles" in any forum or through your favorite search engine. And before you make a decision or totally say no to a specific motorcycle go to a dealership and sit on them and get a feel.

The reason I say this is because I was dead set on a Harley or some bigger cruiser style. But after sitting on them, getting a look and doing research I am going with the Ninja 250 which was complete reverse of my first thoughts.. Just give it a try. And don't hesitate to ask questions.

JustMark
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: '06 Honda Nighthawk cb250

#3 Unread post by JustMark »

Im close to the same size you are and also a newbie (been riding sice january of this year) and i ride a 250cc Honda nighthawk. If you get the chance, you should check it out. Big enough to get you where you want to go, but small enough to handle until you get some more experience.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

The yamaha star 250 is also a good first bike. Plenty of power, good cruiser sound and great braking capability.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Don't forget to mention Hyosung and the GV 250.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#6 Unread post by havegunjoe »

Hyosung GV250 Aquila. Low price, good looks and they will cruise along at 65 - 70 with no problem at all. We get about 65 mpg from ours. Literaly when people see it and you tell them it's a 250 they are amazed. "That's a 250"? Firs thing out of their mouths.

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/product ... odel=GV250
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#7 Unread post by zeligman »

pirataye - you're getting some good advice here - except - did you take the BRC (Basic riding course) yet? If you are brand new to motorcycles (as I was when I started riding last year) - the course gave me some good experience on a standard bike - so I could make a good decision on the type i wanted (turned out to be a cruiser).

Of course, that is just bike selection - on here, EVERYONE will recommend (energetically as well) that ANY rider take the BRC. In many states it's a very straightforward way to get your license as well as teaching updated, CRUCIAL riding techniques that may save your skin, bones, and even your life.

Then there is gear - while there is much debate about what types of gear are important - most here will recommend a FULL FACE helmet. I'm currently recovering from my first accident on my bike and broken leg, ankle and thumb, and if I hadn't been wearing my full face helmet (an arai vector) - I would have broken my jaw as well as lost a lot of the skin on the left side of my face - the scratches, dents, and gouges in my helmet tell the story. Also armored jacket, pants, boots and gloves. All the wonderful people here will share their preferences and tastes if you want - just ask!

If you aren't a total beginner, please forgive the lecture. But just trying to help everyone ride Safe!

-Zeligman
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

dave_oh
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1985/Honda/Rebel

#8 Unread post by dave_oh »

I second zeligman about the BRC. I just got done taking it through Harley and it was incredibly helpful.

Also, I'm currently borrowing a friends old Honda Rebel and it's a pretty great starting bike. It's light and easy to maneuver, but will still get you where you need to go.

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#9 Unread post by shane-o »

Johnj wrote:Don't forget to mention Hyosung and the GV 250.

took the words right out of my mouth

not that I like cruisers of course

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#10 Unread post by Johnj »

:spam: no more
Last edited by Johnj on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.