hosiecow
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Ninja

I need helpful advice, not post-facto criticism, please

#1 Unread post by hosiecow »

So I recently returned from back-to-back tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'd been wanting a bike for a while and I unfortunately did not do any research before I bought my bike - a 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R - just knowing that I was getting a good deal on it. Before I ever got on the bike I sent it to a shop to get it lowered so that I'd be able to ride it. I also took the ABATE Motorcycle Safety course here in Indiana (a well-known/respected course for beginners). As of right now I haven't ridden the bike.

Before you offer me criticism for my decision just know that now, after realizing what a 1000cc bike is, I am afraid to get on it because I'm afraid I'll accidentally kill myself. I'm a mature Army officer who isn't out to prove anything to anyone - I just bought this bike because I was getting a good price and want to ride for fun, not race kids from light to light.

What I'm asking is for some honest advice on how to ride this thing without accidentally killing myself - wheelies, unintended 100+ mph, etc. Again, save your criticisms - I know what I've done and now, like it or not, I own a bike that I'm a afraid to ride.

Thanks in advance.

Balog
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: I need helpful advice, not post-facto criticism, please

#2 Unread post by Balog »

Have you considered selling it and buying a smaller bike? It seems like "terrified of dying" is not a mental state conducive to working on the fundamentals and monitoring traffic conditions. If you got a good deal you could probably get as much/more than you paid for it, and a smaller bike would be cheaper. Or keep it, buy a small bike now that it's fall and prices are way down, then either keep it til you grow into it or sell it at the start of summer when prices skyrocket.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Park the ZX-10R and find a 250 or 500 Ninja and get some skills. Attend some track days to hone those skills.

BTW welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

hosiecow
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by hosiecow »

I appreciate the advice....but the bike is still at the shop and I still own it. I'm just hoping to make it the 2 miles to my house going less than 40mph.

Johnj

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Do you have a friend that rides bikes? Do you own a truck? Can the bike shop deliver? Besides you need classes at base before you can ride a bike. Check with your CO.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

hosiecow
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by hosiecow »

Heh, I AM the CO. I don't live on base. I just moved back after being gone for 5 years so unfortunately I don't have any friends that ride or a truck.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

If you're set on keeping the bike, then you're just going to have to learn how to live with it. The MSF course gave you the basics about what you need to know in order to ride safely, now it's up to you to put that into practice.

Spend some time in the dealer's parking lot first; practice your starts and stops at low speed so you can get used to things like the clutch engagement point and the bite of the brakes. Then practice some slow speed manouevers. Then gently ride it home down the quietest, most traffic-free route you can think of, even if it means taking the long way. You can also have the dealer attach a stop to the throttle grip that will limit the movement to 1/4 turn.

Above all, KEEP THOSE EYES UP!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#8 Unread post by pchast »

Yea, you probably can handle it with the proper caution as suggested. BUT that dealer will likely also deliver for a reasonable price. What's expensive if it saves potential trouble.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Johnj

#9 Unread post by Johnj »

You are making all riders on base take the safety course, and wear HI-VIS vests aren't you? They are at Ft. Leavenworth.

hosiecow
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by hosiecow »

I'm now happily in the reserves, so I don't make the rules. When you're on base you have to wear a hi-vis vest, helmet, gloves, etc....and that's AFTER you take the safety course. Each base has it's own slight twist on the rules based on the post commander.

Thanks for the helpful advice. If I ride it back to my house I'll be able to decide as to whether to sell it/keep it. You gentlemen/ladies gave me exactly what I wanted. Any late takers?