Garrett
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: nothing yet

Getting a bike with a sidecar

#1 Unread post by Garrett »

Hello everyone. I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle. I do a lot of road and mountain biking (the kind you pedal) and really enjoy it. I've never ridden a motorcycle though but I figure there are similarities between the two.

Now while riding around would certainly be fun, what really caught my attention this time was people biking with their dog in a side car. Maybe that sounds dumb but I drive my dog to the local parks all the time for walks. Putting him in a sidecar instead and cruising down the back roads in the summer sounds more fun for both of us. :p

I'm not sure what the options are for bike with sidecars though? Can a sidecar be put on any bike? I'd really like to get a basic used bike first since I don't know what I really want. I know a sidecar will change the handling. What do you think?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Getting a bike with a sidecar

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: to the Total Motorcycle community, thanks for joining!!

You will love the big difference between riding a bike and riding a motorcycle.... you don't have to pedal up hills! :D

There are a few manufacturers who offer side cars, but for a basic bike, there might not be a better choice than to find a new/used URAL: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... s-Ural.htm

You are going to be making a very good friend with Gummiente here, he does excactly what you are looking to do.

Welcome!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Garrett
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Garrett »

I was looking at URALs. They look like a nice mellow bike I can take to the local parks with my dog. It has space for gear too. They are pricey though since I can't find any used ones. Also are repair parts hard to get for them? Do they have to be shipped from Russian? :)

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

You'll want to go to the Blogs section and check out BeemerChef's blog. He's been riding around in a BMW fitted with a sidecar, with his dog riding shotgun for a couple of years now. As in full time for a couple of years!
Welcome to the forum!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#5 Unread post by Kingshead »

There's one on e-bay right now, a little under 11 grand. The nice thing about a Ural, they will go anywhere.

Martin
Last edited by Kingshead on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Garrett
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Garrett »

I've been looking around and the sidecar option is looking more problematic. Since it can't be detached easily I'd have to drive the sidecar everywhere. It would be nice to have a regular solo bike once in a while. Maybe I'll stick with a regular bike and see how that goes first.

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#7 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#8 Unread post by Kingshead »

A lot of widowers have come from them in years past when they were more prevalent. Unatentive riders running the sidecar into lamp post and such.:oops!:

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#9 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X