Helmet Fit Guidelines...

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#21 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

so how about for a passenger helmet ?
the lady at the store told me that most people come in and grab a medium, and then ifyour with your lady mamma (hah sorry ive been listening to steppenwolf latley) and her head is too small she can wear a baseball cap or something underneath.
obviously if your gonna have someone specific riding on the back you should get a proper helmet for them, but if this is a general passenger helmet what are your thoughts ?
The helmet MUST fit correctly to protect. You'll be setting yourself up for liability if you try the baseball cap thing. Would you really want that on your conscience if your passenger were seriously injured because of a poorly fitting "one-size-fits-all" helmet? What if it was your girlfriend/sister/cousin who ended up with brain damage, and YOU were uninjured?

Wait until you've got someone who you expect to regularly take pillion, then buy a helmet that fits THEM. It is just NOT worth the risk.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Lion_Lady

#22 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

short stop wrote:But in terms of the age of the helmet....would the 5-year rule apply to a helmet that has been mainly gathering dust in a closet? I have a an HJC full-faced helmet that I purchased in 2002...

What do you think? But first, use the Guide to make sure the fit really is correct (most folks buy a too big helmet).
Motorcycle Helmets should be retired/replaced EVERY five years, or at a maximum of seven years from date of manufacture (month/year usually imprinted on chinstrap or on label inside). . .
P

cyclebiker
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#23 Unread post by cyclebiker »

short stop wrote:Kind of a late post, my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

But in terms of the age of the helmet....would the 5-year rule apply to a helmet that has been mainly gathering dust in a closet? I have a an HJC full-faced helmet that I purchased in 2002, and wore a few times that season before selling my moped (yea yea, laugh it up!). I'd like to hold on to it for when I purchase my bike, since it is a very decent, SNEL approved helmet.

Any thoughts?
Is there really a five year rule or is this just a way to get consumers to buy a new helmet every five years?
Brian

Lion_Lady

#24 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

cyclebiker wrote:Is there really a five year rule or is this just a way to get consumers to buy a new helmet every five years?
No. There isn't any law that says helmets MUST be replaced every 5 years. Or at all for that matter... BUT given that your helmet is probably the single most important piece of safety equipment. Five years seems like a pretty reasonable life expectancy.

Have you played football or gone rock climbing? Would you trust your gray matter in either of those sports, to a helmet that had been around more than 5 years? Most safety helmets are considered "single drop" items.

The compressed styrene layer is meant to break apart on impact - that's how it disperses impact energy and protects your brain from damage.

P

Lion_Lady

Re: XS Helmet

#25 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Wind Rider wrote:I didn't know that helmets came in extra small. After I learned this I went in and order myself one. The small was moving around on my head. It was really bad on the highway.

Have a great day!
Not all brands have XS. Some actually have XXS and XXL. It pays to look around.

P

Lion_Lady

#26 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

mybiker wrote:I would like to add anyway buy a NEW unused motorcycle helmet with DOT (or better) rating. Do not buy a used or unknown helmet as this is your life you are entrusting to that piece of safety gear.
"...also added details that I have learned through experience in an effort to make it as helpful as possible.

Do NOT under any circumstances purchase for use, a USED helmet. Not "still in the box," not "only worn once," not "free with the bike." Hidden damage that even the previous owner is unaware of can kill you if you go down wearing that bargain helmet. Don't take the risk.

1. Do NOT look at prices first. Fit is most important. If Arai (generally the most expensive) fits, then that will provide the BEST protection, if an HJC (generally a less expensive make) fits, then THAT will provide the best protection..."

Lion_Lady

#27 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

ChemicalTaste wrote:What if you bought a helmet and find out that 3 hours later there was a slight hotspot in the tip of your head, and now you have a head ache?

You're supposed to wear a helmet for around half hour while still in the shop. This is somewhat silly to me, as virtually every helmet feels the same on my head. I was just lucky enough to find one that didn't have any hot spots on it. However, my friend's 400 dollar helmet has a hotspot on the top (according to him).

Since he shouldn't re-sell it, cant take it back to the dealer etc, I guess the trashcan is a good choice, correct? I cant personally examine it at the moment, but I don't think you can take the top padding off. You might be able to, but I wouldn't know if you could replace it either.
There are always folks who are willing to buy used helmets. I'd have to say, if a person feels the need to have a "back up helmet" - used is perhaps a decent option.

If your friend's helmet is really painful to wear, selling it is certainly an option. Another possibility is to do some "modifications" - I know of folks who have successfully compressed a hotpoint out of the helmet lining with the bowl of a kitchen ladle or spoon. This is probably only a good idea if a small "adjustment" is necessary.

If "virtually every helmet feels the same on my head" for you, I'd have to say you're probably not buying a snug enough fitting helmet.

P

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Helmet Shopping

#28 Unread post by blues2cruise »

BlackCowboyRider wrote:Should I order a helmet on line or go into a store and try them on?
Go and try on as many helmets as you can.....you need to know what will fit.....once you find the perfect fit, buy it. Don't settle for a maybe.....
Last edited by blues2cruise on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lion_Lady

Re: Helmet Shopping

#29 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

BlackCowboyRider wrote:Should I order a helmet on line or go into a store and try them on?
Go and try on helmets. Buy the one that fits. Don't spend big bucks on graphics. Just get what fits. Don't screw the shop by using their products for try ons and then order online.

They may have gone out of business the next time you need gear.

P

Lion_Lady

#30 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Greg . wrote:So, as we learned, FIT is the most important thing.

I'm wondering about "backup helmets" for folks who want a ride. Is it then safe to take them using a "backup helmet" that may not fit them AT ALL?
No. If the helmet doesn't fit, it is as bad as wearing none at all.

Helmet's are expensive, and it would be kinda ridiculous to attempt having a size range of "loaner" helmets for potential guests. One way that I deflected those who asked for a ride was to tell them, "If you've got your own helmet." Worked every time.

Anyhow, a newer rider should refrain from taking passengers until they're VERY adept at handling their motorcycle, as well as dealing with typical traffic/road situations.

When you feel ready, then consider getting a helmet (and gear) for your most likely pillion (passenger).

P