Learning/ practicing riding in addition to MSF course

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Learning/ practicing riding in addition to MSF course

#11 Unread post by HYPERR »

Lion_Lady wrote:HYPERR, in the US a lot of folks just buy a bike and either "teach themselves" or have a friend teach them. Then they ride unlicensed - which most states are beginning to address with harsh (enforced) penalties, or manage to pass their state's riding test. The minority of folks bother to take the MSF courses.

I have to agree with you, that it is far too easy for folks to just go ride without even the smallest understanding of what it takes to handle a motorcycle in a straight line, let alone the skills to avoid crashing when something unexpected happens.

P
Yes you are right. Mastery of the skills taught in the ERC or equivalent should be mandatory to get a license. The BRC only touches the very basics.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#12 Unread post by mogster »

I am not familiar with the courses you have mentioned but here in UK riding as a novice is a lot more restricted.

To gain a provisional licence (learner) you have to take a CBT which is very basic riding skills off the road followed by a short observed on road test. This is usually completed in one day.

With this licence you can ride for up to 2 years provided bike is no bigger than 33bhp (usually = 125cc). :scooter:

Big bikes are out of the question (over 33bhp) until you have passed a full on road bike test + theory test. Also under 25yrs must hold provisional licence for minimum 2yrs before being allowed to take full test. Older than 25yrs can do direct access which means all tests from CBT to full licence can been done in 1 week of intensive coaching/riding.

So be careful out there in parts of the world that let you ride with no experience or little training.

:uk: :party:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

rlmitchell
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250

#13 Unread post by rlmitchell »

I'm not sure if the licensing requirements are the same in all states, but here in Maine, I was BAFFLED to realize that ANYONE can take a 5-hour motorcycle class (which does NOT even HAVE a motorcycle present at it!!) and walk out of there with a permit which allows them to take off down the road on a bike. We had one woman in our class who had never riden ANY bikes before, not even a 4-wheeler! Yet, 5 hours of sitting in a classroom, she could have taken off on a bike. Yikes!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

kerwink040 wrote:
Lion_Lady wrote:Umm. The BRC was created to be the first part of a stepped license training series. It was never intended to be "it" as far as training a rider for the road. Unfortunately, the rest of the "steps" (as well as the stepped licensing haven't been implemented). The BRC covers the basics quite well, and students are encouraged to practice the skills learned.

As for retaking the first day, just do it. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

P
Thanks for the advice to retake the first day. I did, I went onto the second day and PASSED the test. I kept thinking of your words" Just Do It, You'll be pleasantly surprised".
Thanks
Congratulations Kerwin on passing the BRC motorcycle test! And thanks Pam for your great suggestion to Kerwin to re-do the 1st day.

The Total Motorcycle Beginner's Guide to Motorcycling: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/total-mo ... -index.htm is a good read as well. Plus, it's FREE. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Kerwink - great attitude for starting out. Keep your head in check, do what feels right for you and only progress when you are ready to do so.

Do you have a bike yet? Once you have a road license you should start with some gentle, easy practicing. For example, go to a quiet parking lot and practice your slow maneouvers. Bring a friend (even if they only have a car, not a bike) so you don't have to be concerned about getting "stuck" if you decide you can't ride home.

The TMW beginner's guide is an excellent read!
Andrea :sun:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#16 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Hyperr-

I understand your viewpoint and agree with it. The problem is that the ERC is pretty much just the BRC crammed into one day without the classroom. Take away the bare basics of the BRC such as where the controls are, how to use the friction zone and how to shift and it's the ERC. The only variation is the (optional) exercise of doing a simple weave one handed, and an impractically small low speed track around the range to close it out. Other than that, it's either the same exercise or close enough that it doesn't really make a difference.

Actually, given that the BRC includes street strategies and more time overall to gain familiarity with a motorcycle it makes more sense to serve as a minimum standard. I'd like to see at least the BRC made mandatory. Motorcycles are so different than cars that they at least deserve their own version of drivers ed. Add in a tiered licensing system where you are required to spend so much time on a certain class before testing out, or taking an optional class to show your ability eg Lee Parks Total Control, staying safe, police rodeo class etc and we have a much better solution than what we have to deal with now.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#17 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

The ERC is now the BRC 2 in the MSF catalog. And it is still essentially parking lot practice on your own motorcycle.

P.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#18 Unread post by RockBottom »

I think the problem is the widespread attitude that a license indicates that one has learned to ride and the learning process is thus over. I've always considered learning a never ending process rather than one with an identifiable end state. I still consider every ride, shift, and curve to be practice, and I mentally critique myself afterwards.

In almost exactly three years of riding, I've taking the BRC once and the ERC three times. I also have every safe riding book and video I've been able to find. I recognize that the next step is a more advanced course of some kind.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#19 Unread post by jstark47 »

RockBottom wrote:I think the problem is the widespread attitude that a license indicates that one has learned to ride and the learning process is thus over.
As my BRC instructor said at the end, "Congratulations! You are now qualified.......... to ride around parking lots in 2nd gear."

RockBottom wrote:In almost exactly three years of riding, I've taking the BRC once and the ERC three times. I also have every safe riding book and video I've been able to find. I recognize that the next step is a more advanced course of some kind.
I think Lee Parks' Total Control is the course I'd like to do next. I notice on their schedule they're giving it concurrently with the BMW MOA rally in Bloomsburg in July.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#20 Unread post by RockBottom »

jstark47 wrote:I think Lee Parks' Total Control is the course I'd like to do next. I notice on their schedule they're giving it concurrently with the BMW MOA rally in Bloomsburg in July.
I suspect you're right. I've just kept retaking the ERC since it doesn't cost me anything.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do