kerwink040
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda DN-01

Learning/ practicing riding in addition to MSF course

#1 Unread post by kerwink040 »

I took my first Range class this Sat. It went very well. I didn't crash their bike or anything but I need to work on my skills/ coordination more (constructive criticism) along with the fact that the bike I was on (which were the same model and sizes) Honda Rebels/ Nightwings all 250s- were really small for me and I was jammed up. I'm a big guy and I had to sit in the passengers seat for my legs to be long enough to reach the rear brake and the gear shift. My swerving and cornering were good but using all four limbs at once all the while watching the ride coaches and remembering what activity we were executing was a lot to do at once. This was the first time I ever tried to ride a motorcycle.

Anyway, I need to repeat the 1st range class before continuing on. It's not costing me anything but time-which I have (cause they recommend I repeat the class to be better coordinated) . I want to be able to ride safely.
I'm wondering if I should get a learners permit/ hire a coach to teach me before going taking that class again. I don't know if 5 hours is enough time to get my coordination down. I'd like to get in more hours of practicing one thing at a time then going on. They said some people repeated the class 3 or 4 times before they got the hang of it. The 2nd Range class has more complicated activities so I need to master this level first.

Any thoughts/ ideas of what I can do to get more practice? I'll be looking for a coach/trainer.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: Learning/ practicing riding in addition to MSF course

#2 Unread post by pchast »

Welcome.... Where are you located?
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by kerwink040 »

pchast wrote:Welcome.... Where are you located?
I live in Alameda, CA.
I took the class in Alameda as well.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul!"

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

kerwink040 wrote: I don't know if 5 hours is enough time to get my coordination down.
Nope, especially since you are not riding for the full 5 hours. The system in the US is an absolute joke where a guy who barely can ride gets a license after completing this ultra basic course. When I bought my CBR, Honda gave me a complimentary ERC course reimbursement. Since they told me I would get 10% off every year on my liability insurance, I took the course. I was absolutely shocked at the low level of the riders at the ERC course. Supposedly most of these riders have been on the road for about a year, its amazing they were still alive! None of them would've passed the riding test in just about any other country but the US.

You certainly have the right attitude and I commend you for it. I fully concur that the BRC class is totally inadequate and in no way does it prepare most riders to be competent enough to ride on the road safely.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by kerwink040 »

HYPERR wrote:
kerwink040 wrote: I don't know if 5 hours is enough time to get my coordination down.
Nope, especially since you are not riding for the full 5 hours. The system in the US is an absolute joke where a guy who barely can ride gets a license after completing this ultra basic course. When I bought my CBR, Honda gave me a complimentary ERC course reimbursement. Since they told me I would get 10% off every year on my liability insurance, I took the course. I was absolutely shocked at the low level of the riders at the ERC course. Supposedly most of these riders have been on the road for about a year, its amazing they were still alive! None of them would've passed the riding test in just about any other country but the US.

You certainly have the right attitude and I commend you for it. I fully concur that the BRC class is totally inadequate and in no way does it prepare most riders to be competent enough to ride on the road safely.
Thanks...this confirms my suspicions about those classes.

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Umm. The BRC was created to be the first part of a stepped license training series. It was never intended to be "it" as far as training a rider for the road. Unfortunately, the rest of the "steps" (as well as the stepped licensing haven't been implemented). The BRC covers the basics quite well, and students are encouraged to practice the skills learned.

As for retaking the first day, just do it. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by kerwink040 »

Lion_Lady wrote:Umm. The BRC was created to be the first part of a stepped license training series. It was never intended to be "it" as far as training a rider for the road. Unfortunately, the rest of the "steps" (as well as the stepped licensing haven't been implemented). The BRC covers the basics quite well, and students are encouraged to practice the skills learned.

As for retaking the first day, just do it. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

P

OK...I'll retake the class.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by HYPERR »

Lion_Lady wrote:Umm. The BRC was created to be the first part of a stepped license training series. It was never intended to be "it" as far as training a rider for the road. Unfortunately, the rest of the "steps" (as well as the stepped licensing haven't been implemented). The BRC covers the basics quite well, and students are encouraged to practice the skills learned.
The problem is our joke of a licensing system allows a rider who has completed the bare minimum of the BRC class and not even close to being a competent rider get a license. One should not be able to get a license until the skills taught in the ERC (not BRC) are totally mastered by the rider. The rider will need to take the BRC/ERC or its equivalent over and over again until he/she is totally competent and have the skills required to pass a test in any other country but the US.

Lion_Lady wrote: As for retaking the first day, just do it. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
Yes good advice. :righton:

That's exactly my point. Master the BRC, then master the ERC, then only then, should a rider be allowed to take and pass the test.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

kerwink040
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by kerwink040 »

P
Thanks for the advice to retake the first day. I did, I went onto the second day and PASSED the test. I kept thinking of your words" Just Do It, You'll be pleasantly surprised".
Thanks

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

HYPERR, in the US a lot of folks just buy a bike and either "teach themselves" or have a friend teach them. Then they ride unlicensed - which most states are beginning to address with harsh (enforced) penalties, or manage to pass their state's riding test. The minority of folks bother to take the MSF courses.

I have to agree with you, that it is far too easy for folks to just go ride without even the smallest understanding of what it takes to handle a motorcycle in a straight line, let alone the skills to avoid crashing when something unexpected happens.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul