Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

Message
Author
User avatar
kerwink040
Regular
Regular
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Real Name: Kerwin
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda DN-01
Location: Alameda, CA.

Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#1 Unread post by kerwink040 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm

..Lost a friend/rider today.
I'm a newbie rider (3 months) but I've clocked over 2000 miles in those 3 months. I've ridden hills, twisties, city roads (normal speeds) and just recently- freeways (75-83 mph) -to keep up with a friend/ group.

My friend likes to ride fast. He just returned to riding after several years of non-riding. We were to ride together, take trips, etc. all on motorcycles. He even got a special grip for his tank so his wife could hold on to it instead of him while riding.

This past weekend we were riding with a group and there were some racers. He rode with them most of the time, he left me behind. He wound up having a slight accident and when I rode up he was trying to recover from it. He and the bike are ok.

We talked briefly at work today and it seems that neither one of us wants to compromise our preferred riding speeds for the other. (I don't want to ride too fast cause I'm too new and it's not safe) so it looks like we wont be riding buddies anymore because of this.

I've been finding it difficult to find other riders that want to take it slow and gradually build up speed and freeway riding. Most motorcyclsits I know and have talked to seem hesitant and usually wont ride with me cause I'm new. So looks like I'm back to riding solo.

Have others/ newbies found this to be true for you?
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul!"

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 pm
Real Name: Pete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR
Location: Athens, NY

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#2 Unread post by pchast » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:31 pm

I find it better to ride alone partly for the same reasons.
Otherwise I'm usually using the bike to run errands or
personal related trips not an organized ride...

Don't let it bother you. When you feel ready others will
be interested ingoing with you.

Pete
'80 Suzuki GS550L

User avatar
madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01
Location: Central Alberta, Canada

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#3 Unread post by madjak30 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Not to be a jerk or anything, but your buddy sounds like a bit of a squid...not a very good buddy if he can't calm himself down to ride with a friend...I just ride my own pace, if I'm riding with someone who wants to go faster...givver, I'll catch up at the next stop...and if there is too big of a gap, they are not my type of riders anyway...

Ride your own ride, it's up to you to make the ride enjoyable...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

User avatar
Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:21 am
Real Name: Dino
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:37 am

madjak30 wrote:Not to be a jerk or anything, but your buddy sounds like a bit of a squid...not a very good buddy if he can't calm himself down to ride with a friend.
+1

Off hand, I think he sounds like a douche, to be honest. Sure, I can be in the mood to ride, er, at a "spirited pace", and during those times, I ride alone. But I don't mind riding at anyone's pace, especially if they're new to the sport, riding a new and unfamiliar bike, or just want company and/or a little encouragement. We were all new at this once, it wouldn't hurt to remember how it was, and be a bit more empathetic and supportive.

PS, nothing wrong at all with riding solo. I think it's generally safer than when riding with a group, especially for people who are new at it. You can ride at a pace you enjoy, build up your abilities gradually, and practise skills that would be unnerving in a group (swerving or sudden braking, for instance). I also think you get to know your bike better when you ride alone.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

User avatar
agraebner
Elite
Elite
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 am
Real Name: Aaron
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model
Location: Eastern shore of md
Contact:

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#5 Unread post by agraebner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 am

I have had the same issues with people I have worked with over the years. Most of them no longer even have bikes because they totaled them. Its funny being told you don't know how to ride by people who cant keep a bike a year and that is riding only a few times a year even. I will set out on a ride with anyone and give them the chance however, it can turn in to me on a leisurely trip by myself if i have to push to keep up. My issue isn't that I'm afraid to ride a speed, I try to follow the law enough that I wont loose my license or have to try to out run the man, as most of them have done or tried to do. I cannot afford to get tickets and have my insurance raised too.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

User avatar
madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01
Location: Central Alberta, Canada

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#6 Unread post by madjak30 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:58 pm

+1

Usually when I ride with someone that is new, or that I have never ridden with...I let them lead and set the pace, we have a discussion before the ride and I tell them to ride what ever pace they are comfortable with...slow or spiritted...if they want to "blast" I let them go at it...but if someone is nervous, I just leave a 3 to 5 second gap so that they don't feel pushed...you don't learn if you are scared...

I find it better to just follow...plus, I usually have my POV camera mounted on my helmet...

It's always much safer to just ride your own ride...don't worry about keeping up or holding them back...if they are behind you and want to go fast, they will pass and go...or they will say something at the next stop...to which you say that maybe they should lead and you will catch up at the next stop...or decide to ride on your own...a friend of mine has just let them get out of sight, then turned a different direction when he felt people were not riding in a safe manor...

Watch out for you, no one else will!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Posts: 5285
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 pm
Real Name: Ryan
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Contact:

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#7 Unread post by Wrider » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 pm

madjak I'm with you on that. I usually ride faster than most people do (I'm more comfortable overtaking than being overtaken), so I almost without fail let others lead so they can maintain the pace they prefer. Otherwise I'm always checking my mirrors to make sure they're still there, or wondering if they want to go faster. When they lead I tell them whatever pace they set I'll follow, unless I'm not comfortable, then I'll meet up at the next stop.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

User avatar
mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Posts: 949
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:06 pm
Real Name: MOG
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09
Location: Dorset, UK

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#8 Unread post by mogster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 pm

On my return to biking after a long gap I was nervous & very aware my skills had slipped. I am fortunate to have an experienced & patient partner who has been very encouraging. I prefer him to ride in front & at first I got really nervous about "losing" him so would sometimes ride outwith my confidence zone to keep up. I know he was just trying to gently push me rather than being irresponsible.

Now when we go out I have the confidence to let him go ie if he wants a blast then he goes & waits for me up ahead. Or if we are on a return journey home we sometimes take different routes!

I have also found that going out on my own is really good & because I am making independent decisions about route speed etc I actually sometimes ride faster than with him.

As said above I think your riding "buddy" is a bit of a knob! Go out & about on your own & if you drop in a biker hangouts people will chat, then before you know it you will have new buddies.

Enjoy :D
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Image

User avatar
kerwink040
Regular
Regular
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Real Name: Kerwin
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda DN-01
Location: Alameda, CA.

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#9 Unread post by kerwink040 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Grey Thumper wrote:
madjak30 wrote:Not to be a jerk or anything, but your buddy sounds like a bit of a squid...not a very good buddy if he can't calm himself down to ride with a friend.
+1

Off hand, I think he sounds like a douche, to be honest. Sure, I can be in the mood to ride, er, at a "spirited pace", and during those times, I ride alone. But I don't mind riding at anyone's pace, especially if they're new to the sport, riding a new and unfamiliar bike, or just want company and/or a little encouragement. We were all new at this once, it wouldn't hurt to remember how it was, and be a bit more empathetic and supportive.

PS, nothing wrong at all with riding solo. I think it's generally safer than when riding with a group, especially for people who are new at it. You can ride at a pace you enjoy, build up your abilities gradually, and practise skills that would be unnerving in a group (swerving or sudden braking, for instance). I also think you get to know your bike better when you ride alone.
Coolness. I'll start riding alone more. There are some skills I want to work on.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul!"

User avatar
kerwink040
Regular
Regular
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:25 pm
Real Name: Kerwin
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda DN-01
Location: Alameda, CA.

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#10 Unread post by kerwink040 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 pm

mogster wrote:On my return to biking after a long gap I was nervous & very aware my skills had slipped. I am fortunate to have an experienced & patient partner who has been very encouraging. I prefer him to ride in front & at first I got really nervous about "losing" him so would sometimes ride outwith my confidence zone to keep up. I know he was just trying to gently push me rather than being irresponsible.

Now when we go out I have the confidence to let him go ie if he wants a blast then he goes & waits for me up ahead. Or if we are on a return journey home we sometimes take different routes!

I have also found that going out on my own is really good & because I am making independent decisions about route speed etc I actually sometimes ride faster than with him.

As said above I think your riding "buddy" is a bit of a knob! Go out & about on your own & if you drop in a biker hangouts people will chat, then before you know it you will have new buddies.

Enjoy :D
Thanks for the advice. Sounds good to me.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10005
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:28 pm
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Rocky Mountain Bicycle
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#11 Unread post by blues2cruise » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:25 pm

I found the same problem with group riding. They ride far too fast and do not bother to slow for the speed zone changes....
I mostly gave up riding with groups. Like the others, I value my clean license and having the best rates for insurance.

Not only that, but when you ride at your own pace (or with others who like relaxed riding) you will have a less stressful day. (and a safer day)
Image

User avatar
madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01
Location: Central Alberta, Canada

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#12 Unread post by madjak30 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:15 pm

++1

:clapping:

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

gerjets
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:57 pm
Real Name: Mike G.
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2010/Harley Davidson/Heritage Softail
Location: Mount Airy, MD
Contact:

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#13 Unread post by gerjets » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:06 pm

The most important thing for you - in my opinion - is to ride within your comfort zone. "F" everything else. Remember, it's your safety you're talking about.

I typically ride by myself but often find myself riding with others, sometimes with people I've just met. I've been riding awhile so conservative or aggressive don't really bother me (unless a group is just a bunch of a-holes). I typically let them know upfront not to be surprised if I drop off for whatever reason. No harm/no foul.

Bottom line. Enjoy your riding experiences but above all, be safe.

User avatar
sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#14 Unread post by sapaul » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:56 am

There is another side to this story, over the years I have organised a good few organised rides and then there are times when I just want to get out and ride my ride. The problem is that I ride briskly and if there are other people with me, despite me telling them to ride at their own pace, they want to prove that they are "brisk" too. This in itself is very dangerous as some of these riders will ride outside of their ability. For that reason, I also ride on my own sometimes.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

User avatar
Drgnfly83
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 pm
Real Name: Nichole
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2009/Yamaha/FZ-6 Dark Blue
Location: Manassas, Virginia

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#15 Unread post by Drgnfly83 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 am

madjak30 wrote:Not to be a jerk or anything, but your buddy sounds like a bit of a squid...not a very good buddy if he can't calm himself down to ride with a friend...I just ride my own pace, if I'm riding with someone who wants to go faster...givver, I'll catch up at the next stop...and if there is too big of a gap, they are not my type of riders anyway...

Ride your own ride, it's up to you to make the ride enjoyable...

Later.
I would have to agree 100% with madjak. If your buddy can't cool his/her jets to ride with a friend that is new, then probably not the greatest friend for you! I was talked into a bike by 4 of my very good friends, 2 of which I work with, and the other two are roomies. Two ride cruisers and two ride sport bikes. All of us go out riding on a regular basis, two of us, myself and my roomies girlfriend are both new riders and the other three are long time riders. They are always willing to go riding with us and take it nice and slow. They never complain, they are just happy to be out enjoying themselves on their bikes. If you enjoy taking it easy, don't let your friend peer pressure you into "fast" riding. It isn't worth it to be uncomfortable and wreck your bike for the sake of making him happy.

Ride safe and be happy and just enjoy yourself. Thats what the bikes are for!!!
Image

Do you really have to ask why I would want this big vibrating machine between my legs??

User avatar
ranger l
Regular
Regular
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '84/Yamaha/xs400 Maxim
Location: Guelph, ON, Canada

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#16 Unread post by ranger l » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 am

Interesting that everyone has talked here about leading or following and by some actual distance - a decidedly safe and sensible practice I should say.
During my long hiatus I would encounter bike riders while driving in my "cage" (?), and most of the time when there were 2 or 4 riders they'd be riding 2 abreast with maybe one a half bike-length ahead of the other.
Before my 35 year hiatus, I HATED it when someone would try to pull into my space in the lane and would refuse to ride that way - yet from the present day "cage" driver's perspective, it seems to me that nearly all bikers now ride together that way, with the guy on the outside of the lane riding almost on the paint.
One day on a 2-lane highway, I was overtaking a bicycle, and in order to give him enough room on my right, I had to move out almost to the paint myself - only to be confronted with 2 bikers riding side-by-side. I nearly took his long super-fancy clutch-side mirror off as it extended over the paint into my lane.
Do these guys have a death wish, are they not watching the oncoming lane, or are they just dumb as posts?

User avatar
madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01
Location: Central Alberta, Canada

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#17 Unread post by madjak30 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Well, we try not to judge other riders here...but some people are just trying to get a darwin award...who knows...some people are just oblivious to anyone else on the road, even though they will be the ones getting hurt...

But loud pipes save lives (they feel everyone else should be watching out for them...??)

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

User avatar
shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 am
Real Name: Frilly "TuX" Bobkins
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000
Location: The bad lands "Melbourne" :)

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#18 Unread post by shane-o » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:22 am

kerwink040 wrote:..Lost a friend/rider today.
I'm a newbie rider (3 months) but I've clocked over 2000 miles in those 3 months. I've ridden hills, twisties, city roads (normal speeds) and just recently- freeways (75-83 mph) -to keep up with a friend/ group.

My friend likes to ride fast. He just returned to riding after several years of non-riding. We were to ride together, take trips, etc. all on motorcycles. He even got a special grip for his tank so his wife could hold on to it instead of him while riding.

This past weekend we were riding with a group and there were some racers. He rode with them most of the time, he left me behind. He wound up having a slight accident and when I rode up he was trying to recover from it. He and the bike are ok.

We talked briefly at work today and it seems that neither one of us wants to compromise our preferred riding speeds for the other. (I don't want to ride too fast cause I'm too new and it's not safe) so it looks like we wont be riding buddies anymore because of this.

I've been finding it difficult to find other riders that want to take it slow and gradually build up speed and freeway riding. Most motorcyclsits I know and have talked to seem hesitant and usually wont ride with me cause I'm new. So looks like I'm back to riding solo.

Have others/ newbies found this to be true for you?

Mate if those whom you ride with dont have the brains to protect a new rider and enhance their experience by remaining as a group, then find some new friends or ride on your own.



.
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

User avatar
ranger l
Regular
Regular
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '84/Yamaha/xs400 Maxim
Location: Guelph, ON, Canada

Re: Riding alone vs riding with someone-delimma.

#19 Unread post by ranger l » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:51 am

Tux is right.
We are lucky in Canada to have the same coffee shop on every 3rd corner and in every small town.
So even if you're riding alone, there are usually a few riders to meet and talk to without worrying about speed or riding two abreast. They will even talk to me if I arrive in my "cage", as long as I take the time - and don't just line up behind the soccer Moms and whip through the drive-through.
Even if some ride too fast or too close, most seem to want the overall trip at least to be relaxed and social. If they won't ride with you, you can at least intersect with them or meet different ones.
Better to ride safe alone and be able to talk about it with new friends than die keeping up with inconsiderate ones.

Post Reply