havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

Re: Loudest HD model?

#11 Unread post by havegunjoe »

I agree with the start out smaller and used suggestions above. You can always trade up and there are plenty of good used bikes on the market. I went from a 250 to a 650 to a 950 Yamaha VStar. Personally I like leather saddle bags on a cruiser instead of the plastic ones. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. Loud doesn’t bother me and the way cagers drive these days I have seen where it warns them I am near. Actually my 950 isn’t as loud as my 650 was.

DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

vendicate
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Motorcycle

#12 Unread post by vendicate »

going to a motorcycle dealership isn't it like going to a car dealership where they come close to harassing you into buying something?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

Depends on the dealership. Some are cool about it, some not so much. Ask permission before you sit on the bikes. Be open with them about what you're doing - you're a noob looking to figure out what you like. If they have half a brain, they'll give you some space at that point, knowing there might be a sale in it. (But expect them to watch just to make sure you don't drop or knock over a bike).

If they start pressuring you to look at huge heavy cruisers or liter-class sportbikes, walk. If they use the line about "not buying too small a bike because you'll just have to upgrade in 6 months", walk.

Dealerships can also be a source of decent condition used bikes.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

vendicate
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by vendicate »

How do you like your triumph. I was actually looking at a Bonneville recently.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#15 Unread post by jstark47 »

It's a fine, basic motorcycle. It's noob-friendly: standard riding position, neutral steering, mass very centralized directly beneath the rider. Engine is 800+ cc, but the power curve is so linear it's very very easy to control the power. Engine is bulletproof, and there's many aftermarket accessories, it's a good starting point for modifications. Current models are all FI, which cures the issue the carb'd models have with being cold-blooded to start.

I recommend the basic Bonneville or SE over the T100 for a noob. Seat height is a bit lower, and shorter wheelbase, smaller diameter wheel, and less rake/trail make sharper steering.

All Bonnevilles are quiet with stock pipes. If you want loud, you'll need aftermarket pipes (there are many choices) and a FI re-map. By the way, "loud" on a 360-crank vertical twin is different than loud on a Harley big twin - less rumble, more bark. Throttle blip sounds more like "BrrraaaaaAAAApp!"
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

vendicate
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by vendicate »

Nice. Thanks.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#17 Unread post by HYPERR »

jstark47 wrote:Throttle blip sounds more like "BrrraaaaaAAAApp!"
That sounds more like a British Thumper... :mrgreen:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

vampfiend687
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: 82 Suzuki GS750

#18 Unread post by vampfiend687 »

Also, don't be afraid to go look at bikes other than Harleys. If you compare the price tag of a 2 year old Harley Dyna or Sportster to a 2 year old Honda Shadow or Yamaha V-Star, the Honda or Yamaha are going to be about 3 to 5 grand less than the Harley and the 950 V-Star is a damn nice bike. Not to mention, Yamaha puts out tons of after market parts for the V-Star line.
"There comes a point in a man's life in which he must be tempted to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I'm really happy to see some oustanding advice has already been given above for Stan.

I'd like to add that since all the big Harley-Davidsons use the "same" size V-Twin there really isn't much difference at all between the loudness of stock H-D pipes. Now, the CVO series uses the "Screamin' Eagle" pipes, which are a little louder but then you pay for the option of having them.

All the Japanese make some nice cruiser options (you can even get a Victory 8-Ball that's near the same price point)...

It all comes down to ... So many of options, not enough garage space. :lol:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#20 Unread post by HYPERR »

vendicate wrote: What's the loudest HD out there?
I always thought it was the Shovel... :humm:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS