shadowryder
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Shadow VLX

Reflections of a newbee wanabee

#1 Unread post by shadowryder »

I remember when I discovered this site I was elated, the support and advice that I got after my first crash kept me persevering to continue with my MSF course. Although I had some trepidation after the crash of getting back in the saddle of my 600VLX I completed my MSF course sometime in September of 2011, barely, however, I was keenly aware that I still had some work to do to become a proficient motorcyclist. After obtaining my MSF endorsement I went out and dropped the Shadow again out of the driveway, I was so upset not only because I dropped it but because I knew immediately why I dropped it. I got on it and rode it according to Total Motorcycles Beginners Route guide #2 and with he neighborhood I live in I can avoid traffic lights but not stop signs and I get a little bit of traffic but I'm learning. It snowed yesterday and I realized that the riding season is probably over. I'm going to get a battery tender, some Stabil and a cover for the bike and curl up with Motorcycle Safety and Dynamics and wait patiently for spring time in PA. Thanks Total Motorcycle for the advice and all of the info.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Reflections of a newbee wanabee

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

James- you might want to put some highway bars, or as they're sometimes called, crash bars on that bike. Here's an example: http://www.westendmotorsports.com/enter ... p-540.html (result of a 15 second Google search, so I'm sure there are others.) This will especially help protect levers, delicate engine parts, etc. in a low speed or stationary drop - provides something relatively sturdy, inexpensive, and replaceable to bear the bike's weight when tipped over. My wife and I are fairly experienced riders and we have crash bars on several bikes, because...... ya just never know.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

jstark47 wrote:James- you might want to put some highway bars, or as they're sometimes called, crash bars on that bike. Here's an example: http://www.westendmotorsports.com/enter ... p-540.html (result of a 15 second Google search, so I'm sure there are others.) This will especially help protect levers, delicate engine parts, etc. in a low speed or stationary drop - provides something relatively sturdy, inexpensive, and replaceable to bear the bike's weight when tipped over. My wife and I are fairly experienced riders and we have crash bars on several bikes, because...... ya just never know.
I concur....I had crash bars on the majority of my bikes, including my courier rides. Can't tell you how often they saved me a lot of money with minor spills. Mind, there was this one time my boot did get caught between the bars and frame...Snowy day in Vancouver and I had just made a drop off at some doctors office, set off on a very icy bit of back lane and whoops, down I went for a nice long slow slide down the road. No damage done to the bike or myself, however somehow the toe of my wellington boot got lodged inside the crash bar and I couldn't get my foot free. Then this little old biddy (lady) of around 80 comes toodling over going "Oh dear, are you okay?" and attempts to lift the CM400 off of me. Told her I was fine and not try and lift the bike as she may hurt herself. With my free leg, I gave the gas tank a couple of good kicks up and got my foot free. Picked up the bike, and it fired up right away, thanked the old dear for trying to help then notice two great big ugly young guys standing on the sidewalk pissing themselves with laughter....thanks for the help guys. After that I radioed my dispatcher and told him I was done for the day, just too bloody icy out.
Always ask why.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#4 Unread post by RockBottom »

shadowryder wrote:It snowed yesterday and I realized that the riding season is probably over.
Hey--I'm in Carlisle and I ride year 'round except when there's ice and snow on the road. I got in a short one Sunday after the snow.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

RockBottom wrote:
shadowryder wrote:It snowed yesterday and I realized that the riding season is probably over.
Hey--I'm in Carlisle and I ride year 'round except when there's ice and snow on the road. I got in a short one Sunday after the snow.
Depends on your "salt on the bike" tolerance. I rode my V-strom to work yesterday.... and rinsed the salt off after I got home.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Crash bars add weight. Insurance should take care of damage that is the result of a tipover. They do make a handy spot to attach highway pegs, or auxillary lights though.
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

Lion_Lady wrote:Crash bars add weight. Insurance should take care of damage that is the result of a tipover.
Yes, the SW Motech bars I use would add about 10.5 lbs to the OP's 460 lb (wet weight) bike - all down low, below the CoG. Bars can make the difference between picking the bike up and riding it home after an "oops" versus waiting for a trailer or a flatbed.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#8 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

Lion_Lady wrote:Crash bars add weight. Insurance should take care of damage that is the result of a tipover. They do make a handy spot to attach highway pegs, or auxillary lights though.
Yes, let's just make insurance claims, and keep our 239kg bikes as efficiently trimmed as possible.

LOL.
02 Fazer 600