Ppanepinto
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none at this time

Looking for gear

#1 Unread post by Ppanepinto »

Ok, had the day off so I went to two HD dealers and waited, and waited, and waited. The first had no one in the showroom at one shop. The other shop was taking their inventory out for the day. And the workers looked at me like was the dumbest person on the face of the earth went I tried to park in their parking lot. HD owners were coming and going with ease, but I was in my F250 crew so was I the crazy donkey? Who knows? So I drove to a Kawasaki dealer. I got there and started to look around and started to look at the bikes. In the back, I saw that they had a large selection of gear for both on and off road riding. One of the parts guys saw me, walked up to me and started to help me with jackets, gloves, but then we got to helmets. He started to show me some cheap helmets around the $50 range, mostly those skull caps that only protect your hair if you put the bike on the ground. When I asked about full face and Modular Helmets, he said, “What price is no object?” I mean this is my head we’re talking about here. If spending a few hundred dollars is going to keep my head from looking like a watermelon at a Gallagher show, I’m all for it. In the end he was very helpful, so still thinking about the KLR650. Then I ran to the BMW dealer, bad move : ). Every person in the shop jumped to help even after I told them that I was looking. Chad was one of the salesmen that sat with me for about an hour answering every one of my questions. He let me know about some bikes that would be coming up for sale when the owners come in for the new models, so the f650gs is still high on the list. The most important piece of information Chad gave me was the name and number of a private riders coarse that is Louisiana State accredited. It is a more one on one deal that I like. So, I think the research is going well. So right now I’m looking for some gear so that I can take the class. For the helmet, I was thinking about the Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer. The jacket, I was thinking Olympia AST 2. And finally, I was looking at Held Rainstar gloves, because of the high temps and the daily rain we can get during the summers down here. Does sound like a good set up? What should I be looking at? All the information I’ve gotten so far is the few dealer stops I have had and the internet. What I’m looking for is good protection in hot, humid weather.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

Re: Looking for gear

#2 Unread post by TechTMW »

Man, I'm sorry that you had such a tough time with the Harley shops, but you know, every shop is different so in another area it could have been the BMW dealers that were no funs :) (Of course, not in my area :D ) Good luck finding the bike that's right for you :)

Gear - The helmet is a good one. I don't personally have it, but a riding buddy does - he says to make sure that the helmet that you try on fits snugly WITHOUT pumping up the inner liner. He chose an XL because it was snug at the dealership, but that was with the air fully blown up - now his is wiggling around a bit during actual riding, because it is starting to break in. So he would have preferred to go with a large instead.
Gloves - You'll wind up with a few pairs of these until you find the ones that are perfect for you :) Right now I have three pairs, One armored gauntlet for cold riding, One Electrically heated for REALLY cold riding, and one leather mesh for summer. One note I want you to understand - If the gloves that you are buying have some kind of lining, make sure that the lining is sewn in - there is nothing more annoying than having the liners pull out when your hands are a bit sweaty from riding - then it's a real PIA to stuff the lining back in properly. (EDIT: It looks like the HELDS you are looking at do not have this kind of liner, should be OK) I still think you will eventually want a pair of mesh gloves, but you can make that descision when summer rolls around again :)
Jacket - The one you want looks like a good all around jacket. Once again, in the extreme heat of summer you may find that the jacket is too warm, in which case a nice mesh jacket would be a good second jacket.

Last thing, I'd also recommend that you look at a pair of Frogg Toggs road toad or similar raingear to keep on the bike - especially if you are not going to be getting waterproof pants. Trust me - the first thing that gets wet while riding in the rain is your crotch - and it's the last thing to dry. Also, your wallet will get drenched if you keep it in your pants pocket. BUT - if you DO get raingear, make sure its something like the road toads, which is a lightweight breathable material - wearing rubberized or PVC rainsuit in your area will have you sweating like heck in no time. (Also make sure your rainsuit is two-piece; if your olympia jacket is waterproof, at least you can have the overpants to protect your legs in the rain, and it's less to carry on the bike.)

:thumbsup:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Don't forget riding boots. Workboots will work, but they typically have chunky, knarly soles... the lugs can catch on footpegs. No need to spend a ton of cash. You want ankle coverage and an oil resistant sole. Pants are also a very good idea. But, get your helmet first: Check out the helmet fit guide in the stickies.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

motofan
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by motofan »

Don't forget you biker t-shirt. Your not a real biker unless you have one.

peterlaser
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Varadero XLV

#5 Unread post by peterlaser »

If you want good gear, my suggestion is to opt for Rukka (Trousers & Jacket) Schuberth for Helmets (there is no better Helmet on this planet and it did save my life once!) and finally Daytona for boots. Make sure you get the Rukka gear with detachable membrane, which will make it warm and cozy in cold times and breathing in the heat of the summer. (I rode in the deserts of India in them and it was still acceptable.
Ride safe !
Peter

Mookie
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: DNA

#6 Unread post by Mookie »

Ok, let me segue to boots a bit more. I'm just getting back to riding after a couple of decades off. I used to wear the ol' cowboy boots to ride. Ok, so now I'm a noob again. I ride a Honda Shadow LVX 600 cruiser. I don't plan any long trips for awhile. I'm not touring. I will be commuting back and forth to work etc.
I live in Colorado and it doesn't rain that much here anymore. But when it does in spring and summer it's the furious storm for 20 minutes then it clears up, do I really need full waterproof.

Obviously I want to be safe and have protection.

So, here's my noob questions re boots:
1. Lace up or not?
2. Do I need boots that go up to my knees or are some of the lower-cut models out here still safe and reliable?
Anyone want to recommend a brand and a place to buy?
3. Should I forget about buying boots online and try to find a store that carries the recommended brands in stock?
4. And then what about carrying boot covers with the rain suit just in case in rains - or do I just spring for a boot that's waterproof as well.

I've been through a broken leg and ankle - skiing not riding - and at my age I certainly don't want to go through that again...(but who ever does?)

Thoughts?
Thanks

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#7 Unread post by Johnj »

1. Lace
2. No. No.
3. Yes
4.Waterproof
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#8 Unread post by Thumper »

I have the EXO-900 and really like it; the Spouse Thingy also has it and is less thrilled, but he has a giant round head and I'm not sure it's made for seriously round heads of a weirdly large proportion...try it on and keep it on for a good 15-20 minutes if you can, see if you develop any hot spots (the same for any helmet you're interested in...) I had an Arai Profile before this, and it's as comfortable--maybe a little moreso--and it's a whole lot less expensive.

As for boots, I wear lace up, but I tuck the loops into the boot so they're not flapping around. I'd been told when I started riding to not wear laces, they'd get caught on pegs, but I've never had a problem. I just make sure they're tucked in.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#9 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I've only ever worn laced boots, so I can't speak to the slip-on variety. I have yet to have a problem with my laces getting caught on anything though.

I buy almost all our gear online, mostly through a place called MyLeather. So far, we get what we pay for -- that is to say the bottom-dollar products I've bought through them haven't been great quality, but everything's been acceptable and it all gets better the more you pay.

You definitely want a water-resistant boot, although I'm not sure at what point a boot goes from being just well-constructed to actual waterproof. My own boots aren't rated as 'waterproof' per se, but I can walk through puddles in them without my socks getting wet. I rely on my chaps to keep water out of my boots if I get caught out in the rain.

One note on boots, just from personal experience -- you want something with a smooth, unbroken surface from the instep down into the sole. I've seen some boots with a heavy border of stitching where the horizontal instep meets the vertical riser, and those stitches can catch on a peg or shift lever in a heartbeat.

pyronano
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: monsrer 695

#10 Unread post by pyronano »

Revzilla has a tone of gides about buying gear
http://www.youtube.com/user/RevZillaTV