Marc H
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2011 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Cleaning Chrome Exhaust

#1 Unread post by Marc H »

I am a new rider -- feeling pretty stupid right now. I recently returned from a ride and wiped some of the road grit from my bike with a microfiber towel. I lightly touched the hot exhaust pipe, and the towel "melted" onto it. It left a very hard, dark residue that does not come off with any auto cleaner or bug/tar remover. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, what do you recommend to take it off?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Cleaning Chrome Exhaust

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Heh don't you worry it's a very very common problem. First off there are chrome cleaners that tend to work mediocre. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, but there are a few home remedies that work really well. Something along the lines of using coke and tin/aluminum foil. I'm sure somebody will correct me here.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

First clean all of the grit off the exhaust when it is COLD :laughing: so you don't scratch the finish on step two.
second, get the exhaust real hot again and use a Natural fiber cloth like cotton to scrub off the hopefully remelted plastic.

If it's really on there you can also use wood scraper (since it won't scratch the metal) and you can also try acetone, or even gasoline to chemically melt the plastic. There are also products out there like Goof-Off or even oven cleaner. The secret is to be Patient and Go slowly so you don't scratch the exhaust finish. You'll probably feel like this: :wallbash: but stick with it, it will eventually come off :thumbsup:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

Use a bag of ice to freeze it so it will harden and become brittle enough to break most of it off.

Then you can get off the majority of it off with some specialty product made for this purpose or Oven Cleaner.

The final step is to use wax or chrome polish to take the remaining tiny stubborn bits off.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#5 Unread post by gsJack »

Riding year around here in NE Ohio I've always cleaned the rust from my pipes with Brillo or SOS pads every spring. Works for me so I'd give that a try first for any thing stuck on the chrome pipes after they cool. Those green kitchen pads will scratch the heck out of chrome but the SOS pads won't touch it.

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#6 Unread post by dirt dobber »

I use this for everything,boot barks and what ever get on hot pipes. I scratched mine trying to get boot marks off. you might want to try this. 9.95 at H-D dealer.
Attachments
detail & wax
detail & wax
001.JPG (36.41 KiB) Viewed 20096 times

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#7 Unread post by dr_bar »

Be careful with oven cleaner, some will discolour the chrome if used with heat. Just be patient and take your time, it should come off with persistence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Chabu
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800

#8 Unread post by Chabu »

Use 4/0 Steel wool (its finest that's commonly available). If you use too heavy a steel pad (like a brillo or SOS) you may leave swirls but the 4/0 will take a little longer but leave a really nice finish. Don't use any liquid with it. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes.