Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja

Buying my first jacket

#1 Unread post by MacGruber »

Hey all,

First off, thanks for welcoming me to the forums. I'm new to motorcycling in general (500cc Kawasaki Ninja) and am looking into getting some more protective gear. What do you guys look for in a good jacket?

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

Re: Buying my first jacket

#2 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

What I look for in a jacket:

Armor
It's got to have armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.

Fit
Try it on your bike to see how it feels in the riding position.
Make sure the cuffs play well with your gloves.
The neck hole and/or collar should be comfortable and not rub. The zipper shouldn't poke you.
No loose material. Having my jacket flap in the wind is really uncomfortable, especially on long trips.

Color
I like neon. The more visually obnoxious it is, the more I'm likely to be seen.
Light colors are cooler to live in than black.

Air Flow
Especially important in the summer. I also prefer textile because it dries fast after getting rained on.

Pockets
I need to be able to operate my pocket zippers while riding.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

MacGruber
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by MacGruber »

Thanks! How would you rank those components in order of how important they are? By that I mean, what are the BIGGEST things you look for - deal breakers if you will.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#4 Unread post by mogster »

Black/leather/armour - simple :D
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#5 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

Fit, armor and airflow I will not compromise one iota. Color is somewhat negotiable, but I'm pretty adamant about pink. Hot pink. And absolutely no black for a summer jacket. Ever. It's too damn hot here for that. Pockets are less important now that I have the volume control on the top end of my headphones :)

I have a 50 mile round trip to work three or four days a week and no car, so I get what I want or nothing at all. I replace my summer jackets about every three years.

You're in the UK, Mog. You can get away with wearing black in the summer.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#6 Unread post by BobK »

The fit will be different from a non-riding jacket. Since your arms will be extended when you're riding, the sleeves have to be longer, otherwise they'll be halfway up your wrists when you're riding. And the jacket has to fit snugly, or it will be flapping in the breeze at highway speeds.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

I think the quality of a "good" textile jacket is comparable to leather these days, but whichever you decide make sure

It fits well
Is tight to the skin with minimal movement
Has CE approved armour
Good zips

There are very few, all round season jackets, but there are some good ones with removable liners, just remember that if you go that route the fit of the jacket will change.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

I prefer leather over textile, as textiles are generally one hit wonders, drop on them once and you basically need to replace them. Mind you, drop hard wearing leathers once and you might end up replacing if the MD's or EMS people have to cut it off you.

Armour is very important and so is fit, if it doesn't fit right, you will be uncomfortable and if its too loose, it could roll up when you need the protection the most. I splurged with my latest jacket, got it custom fitted and made. Expensive but well worth it.
Always ask why.

MacGruber
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by MacGruber »

OK, so would you rule out polyester nylon? I ask because I considered doing a preorder for this jacket that turns into a backpack when you get off the bike. It'd be convenient for carrying things, but I wasn't sure how it'd be on protection? I read about it on the commuting motorcyclist this morning (http://www.budcad.com/Motorcycling/the-alomar/)

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

MacGruber wrote:OK, so would you rule out polyester nylon? I ask because I considered doing a preorder for this jacket that turns into a backpack when you get off the bike. It'd be convenient for carrying things, but I wasn't sure how it'd be on protection? I read about it on the commuting motorcyclist this morning (http://www.budcad.com/Motorcycling/the-alomar/)
Polyester Nylon????? Sounds like a receipt for disaster. If I am not mistaken, most textile jackets are made of Ballistic Nylon, Kevlar with CE plastic armour in the back, elbows and shoulders. I took a look at that The Alomar jacket video and said, Bullshite. It way too thin, and there is no armour what so ever. Indeed, if it had armour, it would make a lousy backpack. My advice, stay away from it, they are flogging crapp by the look of it. Best to go with well known and respected manufacturers such as Joe Rocket, at least that way you will be sure of getting a good jacket with proper protection, that way you know you will be getting value for money from a reputable dealer with history. These jokers seem to be quick buck artist.
Always ask why.