Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 500R

Looking to get into motorcycling

#1 Unread post by dspr_02 »

Hey guys!

I will start off by saying that I did read the giant wall of "DON'T BUY A 600cc +" (thrice) and glanced over the "Buying a used bike" and that I intend to have full gear at all times and to take safety / skill courses. I have been checking out bikes, on paper/web, for a good 6 months now and am looking to pull the trigger on a bike. So far I have narrowed it down to two bikes. 2011 CBR250RA or a 2004+ GS500F.

Now I have some questions I would like to bombard you guys with:
- What would I be looking at for insurance with ICBC (BC, Canada) with a 10% discount?
- I know the CBR is a Fuel Injected bike and the GS500F has a carb. Is the GS500F more expensive to maintain because of this?

I had more questions but I am at work and have forgotten most of them (due to constant pestering) so I'll just ask as they come.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Looking to get into motorcycling

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome: to the community and to the very exciting world of motorcycling! ONE WORD OF CAUTION! Once you start riding you'll never be the same again (in a good way) and never look at a road again (in the same way). :D

It's really great to read that you are starting out with a good head full of great knowledge and information! Well done!!

I think you have picked 2 very fine bikes to start out on, either will be fine to maintain, I would say the FI bike would be a little easier in cold riding climates, but the GS500F carbs are nothing to fear and are bullet proof as long as (this goes for anything of course) is kept in good shape.

If I remember my BC motorcycle insurance it goes by cc engine size classes. I think up to 400cc then 400-750cc? 750cc-1200cc etc? Might want to check that. The 250 then would be cheaper than the 500 to insure.

Keep asking questions, it's the key to knowledge and we are here to help ya!

:D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Ask any ICBC agent for a quote on both bikes, it's free and you get the straight info... PM me and I'll give you a few alternatives...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

dspr_02
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by dspr_02 »

Thanks for the welcome and the prompt replies!

The reason I do not want to ask ICBC for a quote is that for my three previous cars, their estimates were so off... A 99 Plymouth Breeze was quoted for 106.xx and I ended up with a $180/mo bill. A 2002 Kia Rio was supposed to be $90 something and ended up being $140, and my current (soon to be sold) 2001 Acura CL was supposed to be $275/mo to insure and is actually $136.

The quotes and the actual insurance were all for a 2 million third party/ no collision/ no comprehensive/ no thing else. All had the immobilizer discount as well as the 5% discount at the time.

These were all from different "Autoplan" brokers and phone/in-person didn't change how way off they were.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

A quote is just that, it may be over it may be under, it's to give you an idea of how much it will be. In my PM, I mentioned a few alts. for collision and comp coverage if you decide to go there. In one or more, there may be a discount for club affiliation, that doesn't mean HA membership, although it does mean other riding clubs or assoc. such as BCCOM. BCCOM is the BC Coalition of Motorcyclists, www.bccom-bc.com they would be the people that got us the priority loading on BC Ferries, the right to ride in the HOV lanes, etc. Taking a riding course will also get you a discount, I believe at ICBC as well... Good luck with your insurance and welcome to the community of motorcycling...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Welcome to motorcycling!!! I am sorry I can't help you with the insurance thing, the gS 500 is a great beginner bike along with the EX 500 Kawasaki any parallel twin is a fine starter bike. I would stay 500CC and above on twins so you have growing room as a 250 is a fun bike but IMO actually a little to small after a month or 2 one usually wants to move on but it is still an excellent choice as a beginner bike. The new ninja 300 might be a better machine but I have never actually seen one.
there aint nothin like it

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#7 Unread post by Brackstone »

IMO always get a Fuel Injected bike. The Ethanol they are putting in gas (at least here in America) ruins the pilot jets on non-FI bikes. My Ninja 250 which I had for less than a year suffered from that problem.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

dspr_02
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by dspr_02 »

Thanks all for the replies!

I have two questions to the folks in Alberta, Edmonton specifically...
Roughly how many months out of the year are the roads clear or almost completely clear of snow and would my New/Full BC motorcycle license transfer over or do I have to retest for it there?

I ask because school will take me to Edmonton.

dspr_02
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by dspr_02 »

Well, I have made the cannon-ball jump into motorcycling and have purchased an 02 Ninja 500. It is slightly more powerful than what I was looking at but hopefully it will entertain me for two years until I get a new (used) bike. :motorcycle:

Even though I wont ride for about 6 or 7 months, I bought this bike to stop all temptations to get an R6 or a CBR600RR (and boy, were they great).

Last edited by dspr_02 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Congrats and hapy bike day! Definitely not a bad beginners' bike. Make sure to keep that shiny side up, don't try to surf guardrails, and remember tow atch out for cagers, because they aren't watching out for you!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha