winter is on its way need some advice ...

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

winter is on its way need some advice ...

#1 Unread post by freebird73 »

Been riding for just over a year now, on a bike that was admittedly too big to be a beginner on. Ive dropped it a three or four times laid it down in Feb. and have a perty scar as a reminder not to daydream or try to "slam" on the brakes... I have put very, very close to 10,000 miles on it in the last 8 months i ride it almost exclusively only because it isnt practical to carry groceries...haha

With winter fast approaching, and my reluctance to stop riding (I live in So. Cal) even in the cold, i was wondering if there are different tires I may need to get to help with safety on cold or even wet roads. Im not crazy and dont see myself riding in the rain (on purpose) and certainly not in the fog, but i just really dont want to have to store it for 3 or 4 months like i did last year dusting it off for an occasional day ride here and there.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Re: winter is on its way need some advice ...

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Cold in southern California? Surely you jest. What kind of tires are on there now? I run Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my 650R. They're great in the wet and cold (I've had it out in 20 degree weather with a little caution) though most modern tires should be fine in most any weather you'll run into in socal.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

#3 Unread post by freebird73 »

Actually it does get chilly here in the desert.... especially at night and since i work nights i commute about 45 miles one way and the pass that i ride through has been known to be shut down once or twice a season due to snow of all things... it doesnt stick or last more than a day or two but it has been known to happen.

I currently have Continental Conti's on front and back. I upped the front size a bit and it made a remarkable difference on the lead in when i turn... I live close to a few awesome twisty roads and what a difference it made, on that same side of the coin though i am worried about how they will perform on colder, damper roads and turn.

I gotta know.. how does it feel riding when the temp is that low? how can you see through the tears or breathe through the snotcycles? lol Thats dedication!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Eh I ride here in CO year round. I had Pilot Power 2CTs on last year and they did pretty decently down to 0F. Definitely had to be careful though. This year I've only ridden down to 40F so far but I have a 2CT in front and a Power Road 2 in back.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#5 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

When it's raining hard I have noticed that the bike sticks to the road much better than a car. Damp is still dangerous, just ride mindfully.

From 60-40F:
I wear my husband's polypropylene long underwear that he got in the army. I keep a few pairs of larger pants that fit over them. Mittens make a huge difference in keeping my fingers warm, too. My favorite pair are leather with thinsulate gloves inside. Below 50F I add a lighweight, fleecy face cover thing. It has a name, but I forget what. I also like a thin, silk and lambs wool scarf around my neck to keep cold drafts from blowing down my neck.

Below 40F:
I add rain pants to cut the wind and I have a pair of snow-machining mittens for my hands.

All this goes with my leather jacket.

I have a 25 mile highway ride to work.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#6 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

freebird73 wrote:Actually it does get chilly here in the desert.... especially at night and since i work nights i commute about 45 miles one way and the pass that i ride through has been known to be shut down once or twice a season due to snow of all things... it doesnt stick or last more than a day or two but it has been known to happen.

I currently have Continental Conti's on front and back. I upped the front size a bit and it made a remarkable difference on the lead in when i turn... I live close to a few awesome twisty roads and what a difference it made, on that same side of the coin though i am worried about how they will perform on colder, damper roads and turn.

I gotta know.. how does it feel riding when the temp is that low? how can you see through the tears or breathe through the snotcycles? lol Thats dedication!
I blink a lot to clear the tears, lol. But really, between the full face helmet, fleece hood thingy, and skiers face mask under the helmet, it's not that bad. And I put in the jacket's liner, wear long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shirt over long underwear up top, and heavy riding pants over sweatpants over long johns over two pairs of underwear. Not to mention the two pairs of regular socks under wool socks in my off road boots. A little chilly, but then again, I've been living with this weather since I was born. :lol:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#7 Unread post by BobK »

I ride all year round, except when there's snow on the ground and ice on the road. Last year that was about two weeks in February. My bike has heated handgrips and I wear an electric vest, so I'm comfortable down to below 0C.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Best advice is to always keep warm. Remember your hands, head and legs are most exposed to the windchill and as they get cold it will affect your thinking, strength and your reflexes. If for any reason you feel too cold to ride it's best to stop, get warm and be a little late than not arrive at all.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

You need a like button on people's posts. Saves all this typing to agree with you... Well said Mr. TMW...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

dr_bar wrote:You need a like button on people's posts. Saves all this typing to agree with you... Well said Mr. TMW...
Thank you, you made me smile! Now isn't that worth more than just clicking a "Like" button? Sorta like getting a written card over an E-mailed one. :D :rockon:

I could add a "Facebook Like Smilie" if you like, I do have these ones "Like" it. :D

:exactly: :ok2: :nicethread: :goodjob: :goodone: :wearenotworthy:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.